Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luv2gro

Definite zone envy

luv2gro
17 years ago

I haven't had much chance to post many of my own blooms yet, but thought I might make a few drool with these ones. These are pictures of my SIL/BIL's rhododendrons in Vancouver last week. Most of them were just about finished except for a few clusters of flowers.

The funny thing is I have never been to the coast when they were blooming and I could never figure out why everyone made such a fuss over them. The foliage always seemed kind of blah all summer. But, now I understand. They are GORGEOUS when they are in bloom. The city was just filled with them. The later blooming varieties were in full bloom and some of the yards are just spectacular with all of the color. These are all mid-season blooming varieties. Enjoy.

Also, an interesting zone 6 Wallflower - Erysimum 'John Codrington' or 'Wenlock Beauty', maybe? My SIL didn't know the name but it sure was pretty.

Shauna

Comments (7)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

No kidding, zone envy!

Nice photos Shauna, thanks for sharing ;)

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Yeah, zone envy is right!

Great pictures Shauna!

Ang

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

One of the many things that I miss from living on Vancouver Island. Thanks for sharing. In some of the old fishing villages on the west side of Vancouver Island the Rhodos are huge. They must of been planted 75 years ago or more. A friend of my Dads' who is a commercial fisherman for crabs stores all his traps underneath the Rhodo in his frontyard to give you an idea of how big they can get.

Syreeta

• luv2gro
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm finally back, after an extended trip to the coast. Expected to only stay a week but it turned into 2 & 1/2. Here's a few more that caught my eye in Vancouver.

Tigridia pavonia

Tigridia pavonia

Hibiscus
    This was a large shrub - about 7' tall - in a neighbours' yard. Gorgeous, but it needed deadheading so I just took a pic of the blooms.

Crocosmia

Unknown grape

Tigridia pavonia has been added to my list of "must haves". I have fallen in love (again).

It is extremely dry out there this year. Many of the lawns are crunchy and brown. As a result, I don't think things are blooming quite as well as in a normal year. I've got one more trip to make out there this year in mid-Oct. for a wedding. Wonder what will be blooming then.

Shauna

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Wow, my Crocosmia sure didn't have as many blooms as that one!

Those Tigridia pavonia are definitely stunning! How big do they grow? And how would you over-winter them?

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Beautiful! I had a friend who grew the tigridias one year. I think you can lift them like glads, but maybe you could just bring a pot of them inside. Dunno.

• luv2gro
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hmmm . . . my A-Z Encyclopedia says that Tigridia can only stand a min. of 10-12 C and Botanus lists it as a Zone 7 with lifting for zones 4 - 6. I definitely have to try these next year. But I guess they will need lifting just about now to keep them alive year after year. Although, my SIL says she bought a dozen bulbs for under $10. Maybe we should just do them as annuals. What do all of you think?

Botanus carries Tigridia ferraria mix which is slightly different than the T. pavonia. I think the white one above might be T. ferraria. Notice how the shape is slightly rounder than the orange one. I think I like the T. pavonia best. If anyone sees it in a catalogue, please let me know. Laurie, they grow about 24" tall and seem to be quite sturdy, despite a fairly fine stem.

Shauna

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer