Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sazzyrose

Roses June 2007

sazzyrose
16 years ago

Since last years postings of roses in the gallery got quite big it is definitely a good idea to break them up a bit.

A lot of my roses are budding while some are just leafing out. So it's not going to be much longer before the show begins.

My one and only new purchase that came with buds.

Honeysweet.

I am so happy that I purchased this beauty. She smells sweet too.

Shelley

Comments (71)

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I like your beds Leo.

Cuthbert Grant decided to open today. The color is as pretty as I remembered.

One of the $2.99 mini rose that DH bought me. Unknown name.

Shelley

• leo_prairie_view
    16 years ago

Finally got he camera back but still don't know how to work it very well. I spent a couple of hours at Morden Research Station on Thursday with showers off and on so no pictures. Cuthbert Grant really caught my eye and Shelley you got the colour just right. Here are is Prairie Youth my favourite at the moment but you have to have room for it.

Then Louis Riel which really brightens up the garden

Leo

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I still can't believe how well all the roses are blooming for everyone already!

Leo, I love the simplicity of that Louis Riel rose.....what an eye catcher!

Well, compared to all of you who are apparently living in the banana belt,;^) Here's what will be my first bloom of the season.
    JP Connell
    {{gwi:698959}}

By tomorrow it should be fully opened, and then officially the rose season begins for me.....yippeeee!

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Leo I really like both Prairie Youth and Louis Reil. I'm going to have to check them out.
    Laurie, I'm glad you can now join in the fun.

Martin Frobisher. New this year. So I do not have any comments on it yet. We'll see how it fairs.
    Shelley

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

My roses are finally starting to bloom. Here's Hansa:
    {{gwi:698340}}

And Blanc Double de Coubert with some Polemonium in front of her:

Shelley, that's a lovely picture of Martin. His buds are the best thing about him. :) Someone described the blooms as having a "wet kleenex" look to them, and they're right. He's been pretty hardy for me so far, though, and blooms nicely most of the summer.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Harison's Yellow - I love it Gil, I'm glad you recommended it!

{{gwi:700561}}
    Wasagaming, just loaded with buds yet to come!

{{gwi:702517}}
    Anyone know this rose? It's a bush type about 3' high, not the most attractive kid on the block, small flowers and messy.

Many more photos at my photobucket....

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharon's Roses

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Sharon, I see you have Emily Carr. I just picked her up last night. There were flowers on it already, and I've taken about 10 pictures of her, and I just can't get the colour right. It's that deep, dark velvety red with a hint of black in it.....very hard to capture anyway.

This was the best out of the bunch, but it's still not quite there.

I love the shape of this flower. When fully open it's still "cupped", and doesn't fully open flat like a lot of my other hardy roses.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Yes, seeing the colour in person is totally different trying to capture it on camera. I can never get the reds to be accurate with my camera(s).

But yes, it is a beautiful velvety red, I think this rose is going to be outstanding in a few years. Hope they come out with many more Canadian Artist Series for us rose nuts...

I wonder if my unknown is Seager Wheeler, looking back at my old Russian Roses for the North catalogue, I have it checked off that I have it.
    I didnÂt really keep good records back then. LOL

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

My mystery is solved, I finally found a photo of Seager Wheeler on the web. Looks like mine!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Seager Wheeler'

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I bought an Emily Carr as well Laurie. Mine isn't blooming, but I got to see her in a greenhouse earlier this spring.
    Awesome color, somewhat similar to Hope for Humanity.
    To get a better color shot, try taking one in the morning with the early morning light. I find it works well with reds that have a blue hue. I can't figure out the orange hue just right though.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

So Shelley, you're trying to tell me that I have to get up at 5:00 am?! Good luck!lol Oh, maybe for the sake of a picture I might.;^)

Does anyone have Felix yet? I've got so many pinks all ready, that I think I'll forgo on this one. It sure will be interesting to see what they come up with for next year, and the next, and so on. It'll also be interesting to see how well they winter for us too. Will anyone be protecting for the first winter?

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurie, 5 am are you nuts? We'll I've probably taken pictures at that time but only if I've been up. The light has more of a yellow glow later in the day.
    I had Felix in my hand this spring and let it go. It's flowers didn't WOW me. But who knows, maybe I'll like it next year.

I didn't see your 2 postings last night Sharon. What's up with that?
    Your Wasagaming is stunning. I'm so glad that you said it was a beauty in a posting earlier this year, because I purchased this rose too. I was unable to find Harrisons Yellow this spring. I'm on the look out next year for it.

Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Sharon, I think your Seager Wheeler is quite nice! Emily Carr is beautiful too, I love dark reds.

Here are a couple of mine...

Fragrant Cloud, a little hail beaten
    {{gwi:699666}}

And Mme. Plantier, yay she not only survived but has several buds. I was worried I had made a "blooms on old wood" mistake. :0
    {{gwi:701095}}

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Oh wow those roses are both so beautiful Gil! I thought earlier you had said that your Mme. PlantierÂs did not make the winter. She is back on my wish list again ;)

Yeah I know Shelley, sometimes the Garden Web have hiccups.
    5 oclock in the morning, oh geez, that would mean I would be up with my DH who is a early bird. I have a hard time getting up at 9am! IÂve always been a evening/night owl all my life. LOL

I nearly bought Felix at Dominion Seed House, but they were grafted so I'll wait till Cedar stocks them and buy from them. Gotta have my own-roots ;)

Sharon

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Sharon, actually I ordered 3 Mme P.'s from Cedar Hollow in 2006, and last summer was sooooo dry they really suffered trying to get established. I brought two of them when I moved, which further stressed them, and one did not make the winter. This one that is blooming now came through with quite a bit of green canes but I did protect it for the winter. I hope it will be a long term survivor once it settles in.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Gillian, Mme. Plantier looks so elegant! And what a beauty that Fragrant Cloud is too......does it live up to it's name?

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Thanks Laurie, Fragrant Cloud is not my fave colour for a rose but the blooms are very big and yes they are super smelly :0) Mme. P. is also highly scented but tiny wee blooms, maybe 3" across.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

That's great that they're both scented Gillian....it just makes a beautiful rose that much better.:0)

Well, I have a new love today.....hope DH is not too jealous!lol

Distant Drums bud

And here it is open

The colours are just spectactular on it! And it's smelly too.:0)

Winnipeg Parks has also opened up today.
    {{gwi:700575}}

There's a few flowers on Morden Centennial already too, but they're small and kind of mishapen. Is that due to the cool, rainy weather we've had?

Laurie

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gillian, Mme Plantier is on my want list. She is a beauty.
    Nice shot of Distant Drums Laurie. Now I can't wait for mine to bloom.

Marie Bugnet. I'm still not sure what to think of this rose.

A few more pictures of Prairie Peace. I figured she wow me.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Oh wow Laurie, Distant Drums does have cool colours in it! Is that a Buck as well?

My Morden Centennials usually starts out with small puney flowers at first, then bang overnight it will bursts out with awesome huge blooms, but yes, sunshine and heat will help.

Shelley, PP is a beaut!
    Is this the first year for Marie Bugnet, if so, its a awesome rose in its 2nd, 3rd year in my experience.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, Prairie Peace has sure WOWED me!! LOVE IT!!

Sharon, that's good to know about MC. I was hoping that it wasn't anything serious. We now have the heat, 31C, so bring on the big blooms!!:0)

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon, this is the second year for Marie Bugnet. She still is quite small. I'm glad to here that age increases her beauty.
    Really no different than Prairie Peace. I really didn't think to much of her until this year.

Distant Drums is a Buck, I planted it last year and it is really small yet too. One that has similar colours is Kaleidoscope.(I have that one too) I'm finding that one a bit more agressive.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Morden Blush's first few blooms were kinda icky looking, so I was happy to see a couple of nice ones today.:)

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Here are a few of mine

Sonia
    {{gwi:702487}}

Celestial

Garden Party - I like how it always blooms in flushes

Double Delight

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

I just wanted to share this picture of my Therese Bugnet. She is especially nice this year. This is the bush that is growing too close to the driveway and I had to prune it quite a lot last year to keep the peace with my DH. It's kind of flat on one side, but otherwise none the worse for the haircut.

• verenap
    16 years ago

Oh, Gorgeous everyone!! I'll have to post some pics when it's not so late. I took a bunch of pictures today. My Morden Centenial has bloomed, really impressed with the big beautiful bloom!! Also got a George Vancouver in bloom that is beautiful...DH even commented on it. All my roses are new purchases (except for a John Cabot)...I actually picked up another four today (two William Baffins, and two David Thompsons)...DH took me out again ;o) I was amazed when he showed me the reciept (I was putting Brayden in the van when he paid for them)...Peavy Mart is clearing out all their plants at 1/2 price, but they only charged $3.50 for the 2 Gallon roses!! (When I found that out I was glad we'd grabbed all the own roots they had left!!! :o)

Verena

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I just love Garden Party and DD, Gillian! The other two are lovely as well, but GP and DD just wow me!;^) My DD won't be blooming any time soon.:( It's struggling, but it's got some green leaves, and a few more leaf buds are showing, so maybe by the end of summer it'll bloom....I hope.

Therese Bugnet is quite an impressive bush too, North53! Very nice.

John Davis is starting to open up now.

Marie Victorin is in full bloom, and it's hard to get nice picture of a flower that isn't totally blown open, but I found one this morning that looked decent.

And finally, my first blooms on Henry Hudson. I got HH last fall, so this is my first time seeing these flowers in real life.:)

Laurie

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurie for waiting patiently for blooms, your bushes are ahead of mine now. I'm starting to see blooms on some of the roses that already have bloomed for you.
    Winnipeg Parks. The flowers on it are HUGE this year. It definitely is showing off.

Morden Blush.

Quadra. Not the nicest bush form, but one of my favorites for flower form.

Frontenac. The flowers are the brightest pink of all the roses that I have.

William Booth. I'm going to love it when it grows a bit taller.

Theresa Bugnet is finally putting out some blooms.

Royal Edward. I love this little mini.

Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Everyone's Thereses are looking beautiful! Shelley, all very nice, and I noticed my Mom's Winnipeg Parks have really big blooms this spring too. Laurie, Marie Victorin is such a pretty colour.

I just wanted to post another pic of Double Delight, I like it best when it's really red & white...

And this is the 1st bloom on my new 'Agnes', I'm loving everything about her already. Thanks for recommending her Sharon. Can you believe this was a dormant bareroot a month ago??

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really like your Double Delight Gillian. I'm so glad that I bought a couple. One isn't looking so good right now. It had a really hard time during shipping but hopefully it will bounces back.
    Looks like I should be checking out Agnes next spring as well. Very nice.

I had to show off Prairie Peace a little more. She is just going strong. Both front and back look awesome.

And to think, I was thinking about getting rid of her last year.

Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Shelley, pardon my francais but HOLY CRAP! That is N-I-C-E!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, how many Prairie Peace bushes have you got in there?! That is one spectacular show!!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Since we're doing full bush shots, I thought I'd throw in Marie Victorin, so you can see how much the two day old flowers fade compared to the freshly opened ones.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have 3 PP bushes in a row there. She does sucker, so I'll be able to give some away possibly next year.
    I'm hoping that it will continue to bloom through the year as well and not just have one big flush. Alfalfa tea, here we come.

Laurie, your MV is putting on a show too. Mine hasn't even opened yet.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Only 3?! It looks like there should be more than that. You're going to have to ease up a bit on those steriods in your alfalfa tea.;^) How tall does PP get? From the picture they look at least 5 feet tall. I'd love, love, love to get on your "sucker" list for the future too please!

Btw, MV is on the south side of the house, so I'm sure she's enjoying all the heat that reflects down on her. That's probably why she's a bit earlier than yours.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My Prairie Peace have to be close to 6' at the tallest. I haven't measured but they seem to be about a foot taller than me. The trellis with them I believe was a 9'. (with 18" in the ground). It is hard to believe they were 18" sticks 2 springs ago.
    Best thing about this one is I didn't prune it one little bit, nor have I seen any sign of any disease.
    BTW, I haven't done the alfalfa tea this year yet.
    Laurie, you sure can be on my sucker list. LOL

Shelley

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

One of the White Kosters blooming. They're both loaded with buds.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Marcia, that's a lovely rose too! You'll have to post a pic of the whole bush once it gets going.

Golden Unicorn had it's first flower open up today. It's not the best for colouring on this one, but I think it's been due to the cool, rainy weather we've had. Hopefully the later blooms will have that knock out colour that I so look forward to.

Folksinger's colour and form were great today though.:0)

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

Laurie,
    Just had to comment on your picture of Folksinger.
    Are those complimentary colors or what! Really lovely!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Thanks, I love the combination of Folksinger and Johnson's Blue geranium too. I've also got clustered bellflower beside Folksinger, and they look lovely together, but I'm afraid that the bellflower may choke out the rose some year. So I'll have to keep a close eye, and shovel, on it.;^)

• northspruce
    16 years ago

I love those together too, Laurie. Golden Unicorn was one of yours I was admiring last year, I'm sure you'll get some great blooms out of it yet.

My garden's looking really pink right now... here are some new ones.

More on Celestial

And Kordes Perfecta - I have mixed feelings about this rose. It's got clean foliage and huge flowers, a moderate scent, love the petal colour, but somehow the form falls flat a lot of the time. The petals quill and often it looks "soggy" before the bloom even opens fully. Still worth garden space for me.

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice colors on your combo of Folksinger and Geranium Laurie.
    Gillian, the colors on Kordes Perfecta are awesome.

A few more opened today.
    Marie Victorin. Unbelievably this bud stayed nice all day. They usually blow open fast and then it just is another pink rose.

Morden Sunrise bud. The flowers on the bushes that I had to cut off at the ground are opening at the same time as the bushes that I pruned slightly.

The first of my Bucks- Prairie Princess. The flowers are huge on this one this year.

Jacques Cartier is also starting strong. I love the fullness of the flowers.Last year it was so pale, but this year the color is showing better.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Now who's got all the pink roses, Gillian!LOL But they are sure lovely.:0)

Shelley, was it a cool day there today too? I think it barely hit 15C here, and I also noticed that Marie Victorin actually had some very good looking flowers on it. So I grabbed my camera, and got what I think is the best pic I have of MV.

It had to be the cool weather that slows the blooms down from blowing so quick. Normally, they go from bud to wide open in the blink of an eye. So this is definitely my "once in a blue moon" picture.lol

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

De' Montarville is getting into the show now too.:0)

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Laurie I love your picture of MV. Those shots are hard to get of her.
    I had an explosion of new blooms today.

Prairie Joy

JP Connell. The bloom is a little dirty, too bad I didn't take it before DH cut the grass.

John Cabot.

Henry Kelsey
    {{gwi:698367}}

Morden Blush

Morden Ruby

Morden Cardinette

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rosarium Uetersen

This one is quite coral this year. I hope that trait stays.

Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Great roses everyone! Shelley that is such a great pic of Morden Ruby, I think I need one of those.

This is a cool mauve rose that came with the house - planted in near shade and not winter protected, it's doing well but I think I will move it somewhere sunnier for next year. The rose ID forum advises me that it's probably 'Blue Girl'. (smells nice too)

Rosa gallica versicolor is getting going...

Unfortunately half the bush has reverted back to Rosa gallica officinalis (the unstriped version). I hear this happens a lot. Doh!
    {{gwi:699853}}

Kordes Perfecta is trying harder to impress me now.
    {{gwi:695519}}

Look at all those poppies in the background! Yikes!

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gillian, lucky you to get suck an awesome rose at your new place.I still think that Kordes Perfecta is perfect.
    With regards to Morden Ruby. I love the flowers but not the bush form. It is a sister to Adelaide Hoodless and both have week stems and need to be tied up. Both are prone to blackspot and rust here. But if you don't mind the little bit of extra hassle, it is an great rose.
    I have Lois Holes Favorite Rose book and she says an occasional flower on the bush will be veined, but I have never had one that wasn't. This is the third summer for both of my bushes.

A few more to post after last nights thunderstorm and todays muggy heat.
    Morden Centennial

Adelaide Hoodless

Shelley

• jimm.grow
    16 years ago

didn't know rosa gallica versicolor was hardy to zone 3?
    ours is doing well in 3b northern wisconsin, after planting
    in 2001 , had nice peppermint blooms this June 24th. jim

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Yes Jimm, RGV is not quite tip hardy but does very well in my zone 2b/3a garden. It has been spreading quite a bit by suckers and blooms well. I cover it with leaves & burlap for the winter. Its blooms also remind me of peppermint!

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA