16 years ago

{{gwi:541232}}

Lupinus sericeus Silvery Lupine

{{gwi:701942}}
Penstemon nitidus

Penstemon procerus

{{gwi:700558}}
Verbascum phoeniceum 'Mixed'

I would of took more photos today but it started to pour!

Have a great week everyone in your gardens!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Week of June 10

Comments (44)

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Oooh, love your Verbascum Sharon. Did you start them from seed?

Shelley

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Looks like your garden is ahead of mine, Sharon. That snow/frost etc set mine back some.

I thought I'd share this one today - these Allium turned out to be just the ticket for this bed with the Lilac (Pocohontas) behind and Honeysuckle (Arnold Red) to the side.

Okay, one more - I'm just loving this Sempervivum - Director Jacobs.

Oh well, while I'm at it - I did up a bunch of Semp/Sedum pots to try and sell at Farmers Market (coming up soon)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I really like the colouring on that Director Jacobs Pudge!

Sharon, you must have sent that rain on to Manitoba, because we had some good thunder boomers last night with 2/10 of an inch of rain. It would really be nice to have a few warm days with no rain for a change.

I've got a couple of different colours of verbascum too.

The hardy ranunculus flowers are so cute.

Rheum palmatum var. tanguticum is standing at 5.5 feet tall with the flower spike.

The creeping thymes are starting to flower.

Wooly thyme

Rosy Lights azalea

Lady's Slipper

Solomon's Seal

Here is a link that might be useful: More June photos

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Shelley, those Verbascum were wintersowed a few winters ago. I have a few other varieties in the garden as well. They produce lots of seed so if you want some this fall let me know ;)

Try? Pudge, I don't think you'll have a problem selling those Chicks!

Laurie, it poured and poured here all night, we had a thunderstorm watch as well, I was so scared that we were going to get hail, but thankfully we only got this precious rain.

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Save me some seed Sharon. This has been a plant that I have been wanting for a while. Thanks.
    Pudge if I lived closer, I take one of those pots off your hand. Very nice.
    I like the colors of your Verbascum too Laurie. Does your give lots of seed too?

This morning this Iris was begging me to take her picture. Can't you see her smile?

Rare Treat.

Centaura Dealbata. It is quite big already. I forgot to put on the peony ring, so I'll have to tie it up before it flops.

A white Flax. This one seems to just pop out at you.

Geranium sanguineum var. striatum. I'm in love with little one.

Look at my Candy Club Tulips now. From white to pink.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lovely photos Shelley, I really like your pink Geranium!

Are you sure your Centaurea is dealbata? Looks more like C. montana which has blue flowers.
    C. dealbata has coarsely toothed leaves.

Sharon

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Oooh so nice everyone! You have so much more blooming than me. Pudge, those semps are adorable in their little pots with gravel. I like all the verbascum colours, I just have V. nigrum. It does really well.

I also have Centaurea (as correctly identified by Pudge)

And Aqueligia canadensis

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

The heat has gotten the Pagoda dogwood to bloom today.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I'm sure that I posted yesterday.
    The Cornflower is C. Montana. My C.Dealbata is budded, but not blooming yet. My mistake. Thanks Sharon. It got tied up today, just before the wind started to get strong.
    Laurie , does your verbascum put out lot's of seed too? I love yours too.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, I'm sure it'll have seed. This is only my second year growing verbascums, so I'm no expert by any means, but I'll try and get some for you when they mature.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

My Calla's are starting to bloom.

Twilight

LAMIASTRUM Herman's Pride. I have a soft spot for this one.
    Some of you know why.

Shelley

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

I'm finally getting around to uploading some pics this week. Here are my bloomers. :)

Blue flax - a lot more blooms today, but i was out without my camera!

Centaurea montana. Last year, there were some blue irises and veronica blooming at the same time at this.

Just a view down one path of my front bed:

Geranium platypetalum came back this year but several phaeums are MIA:
    {{gwi:698037}}

Lamiastrum 'Herman's Pride':
    {{gwi:698342}}

Hosta 'Honeybells':
    {{gwi:698341}}

Hosta 'White Feather':
    {{gwi:698333}}

Iris 'Rhein Nixe':
    {{gwi:698790}}

This year i made sure i got plenty of million bells:
    {{gwi:695995}}

Lamium aureum again, with its two hosta companions and Sambucus 'Sutherland Gold':

Snow in Summer - got this from Ang, i believe. It didn't bloom last year but is doing well now. Thanks!

Here's that tiarella again. I hope it blooms forever!

Finally, the trollius has opened:

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Marcia, that hosta 'White Feathers' is really cool looking. You'll have keep us updated on its growth, as a few of us were talking about it, and one person figured that it would grow really slowly because of the lack of chlorophyll in the leaves, but you never know.

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Laurie, and wasn't there also a comment made that the more white in the leaves the more sun the hosta should get because of the lack of chlorophyll, so therefore 'White Feathers' should be planted in full sun or part sun not shade.

Marcia, where is yours planted? How much sun will it get?

Brenda

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Yup I heard that about hostas with white in the leaves too - that they need more sun. It actually surprises me how many people in my town have hostas growing in full sun and they look really nice. All-white hosta seedlings are a common product of variegated breeding, but they will die shortly after sprouting if they have no chlorophyll at all. A hosta must have some chlorophyll to live, even if it's very scanty or pale.

Marcia it sure looks cool!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Of course i never heard that about the white hosta, so it's planted in part shade. It was just a single cone of leaves when i got it and has opened up nicely. I do have a bare spot in another bed that might be able to use a white hosta. Have to figure that out, then.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

I'm sure part shade is fine Marcia, you don't want to scorch the leaves either! Maybe just wait & see how it does. Looks good so far.

• savona
    16 years ago

Everyone's gardens are coming along really well. I feel like the caboose on the train as my garden is so far behind everyone elses..lol..but the good thing is it gives me great ideas for my own beds :-)
    the columbines are starting
    {{gwi:713635}}
    I have a bi-coloured lupin that has been going for 4 years ..last year I sowed seed from it and everyone of the seedling came true
    {{gwi:713638}}
    first bloom on the blue flag iris
    {{gwi:713641}}
    Jacob's Ladder
    {{gwi:713644}}
    a few odds and ends for annuals
    leptosiphon
    {{gwi:713647}}
    striped marvel marigold
    {{gwi:713650}}
    cosmos bright lights
    {{gwi:713653}}
    savona

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Very nice pics Savona, don't worry my garden is slow too. Just wanted to mention, lupines are a member of the pea family which are inbreeders - they should always come true from seed unless you manually cross-pollinate them. Yours is such a nice rich purple!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

What great colours on that marigold Savona. I bet those'll be very eye-catching in a big clump!

Yay, my first waterlily bloom of the year.......
    {{gwi:713655}}

Laurie

• echoes_or
    16 years ago

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great photos everyone!

Your Waterlily is gorgeous Laurie!

A few more blooming in my garden today....

Dictamnus albus var. purpureus Gas Plant - this plant gets better each year as it ages.

Alchemilla mollis Lady's Mantle

Aquilegia vulgaris Columbine

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Week of June 10th Photos

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Ok Sharon, how do you get your Lady's Mantle so huge??? I'm lucky if mine survive the winter, no less actually bloom! How much sun or shade are yours in? Does it need a lot of water or not? I love the looks of them, but just haven't got any luck with them at all. I think I'm on my fourth or fifth plant already......I need help please.....

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Laurie, those were wintersowed a few years ago. I really don't do nothing to them, they're planted in good humus soil, mulched with straw and facing north so they get the sun later in the day.
    I have some in more shade, I think I'll move those out next year in more sun.....they're also crowded with other plants and don't look as healthy.

Don't give up, better luck next time.

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Thanks Sharon, so mine probably need more sun then. It may be tough finding an empty spot with late day sun for them in my yard. Hmmmm, will have to take a walk around and see.....

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

Laurie, I have Lady's Mantle also, and I agree with Sharon. They don't seem to need anything special. Mine has self seeded so I've been able to put it in different places. One has morning sun, the other late afternoon sun. One is in humus rich soil, the other in heavy clay. I also have dwarf lady's mantle. I just divided that one and put one in more sun. I'll see how it does there.
    So don't give up. It's a lovely plant.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Well, I just planted a lady's mantle in a spot where it'll have sun from about 11:00 to 2:00. My fingers are crossed that it'll do better there than in full shade.

• leo_prairie_view
    16 years ago

This is my pride and joy for this year. I planted 5 seeds in 2001, left them in pots the first year and missed watering 2, next spring I planted the 3 in the ground an the boys next door missed the stepping stones in a game of tag and then there were two. The next year the rabbits ignoring everything else in the garden ate them right off. They came back slowly the next years and this one is really blooming.

And, of course the garden has changed in 6 years so the shady empty spot I had is now sunny and crowded

And my interests have shifted to roses

Prairie Youth
    But the hardy geraniums still are special

G phaeum var lividum
    Thanks for giving me your time
    Leo

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Oh my, Leo! That Martagon (right?) is a perfect pink!

Echoes, I love the easy going look of your yard with the stumps and wheelbarrow :)

Beautiful columbines everyone!

Sharon, I have gas plant envy!

My trolious has been putting on a great show this year. Seems to be blooming longer than usual.

Does anyone have an idea what the name of this iris would be? Its tuff as nails, medium height and increases like crazy.

Lily of the valley

• savona
    16 years ago

Gill that is interesting about the pea family. I had pink lupins in one bed and over the years they have turned up every colour and the shades are lighter and lighter in colour..I wonder how far they will be able to cross pollinate with other lupins?
    Leo your martagon is lovely.
    A few more pictures
    Cabbage Rose
    {{gwi:713685}}
    Oriental poppy
    {{gwi:713686}}
    Another Dahlia..it was suppose to be Eveline but not even close
    {{gwi:628379}}
    Lisianthus..almost open
    {{gwi:713687}}
    savona

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I can't wait to see your Lisianthus open Savona.
    Martagons were already on my wishlist Leo. It moved to a must for fall purchases.
    Sharon, your Gas Plant is stunning. Even though my WS seeds didn't show up, I'll be babying this pot with hopes that it does come up next year.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Ok, how's this for bait to get people to come out for the far north reunion in July. Everyone who comes out here can take home a baby gas plant for free! Any takers? :0)

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Woot! Coming for a gas plant! LOL. When my wintersowing doesn't sprout, I try to find a seed and split it to see if it's still viable... I did that with some gas plant seeds and they went *poof* - they were hollow :0( Guess they didn't like something I did to them.

Toots, your trollius is amazing!

I have a few things on the go this week -

I'm glad my alliums turned out purple - I like em!

Spirea needs pruning after it's done blooming
    {{gwi:702489}}

It's kind of a weed but I've always thought Wild Cucumber looks cool
    {{gwi:305101}}

And one of my mystery shrubs turns out to be a very late lilac.

Is it just me or does Photobucket really suck lately?? >:0(

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Thanks, Gil.

Looks like a Villosa Lilac...super hardy.

I like your wild cucmber, too! Never heard of it before.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wonderful plants everyone!

Gil and Shelley, this time I will send fresh Gas Plant seeds the day they are harvest. This way you can direct sow immediately in the ground when they arrive. This way they will get their warm, cold, warm, they might even need a second cycle.

Marica, same with the Sweet Cicely seed, I will send those fresh and those too need to be direct sowed in the ground as soon as you get them. No excuses ;)

Gil, thatÂs not the Echinocystis lobata Cucumber Vine, is it? I have the vine type that self seeds every year but yours looks different? What the heck is the latin name?

Same with your Alliums, do you know the name of those, they look like bigger balls than Purple Sensation?

Sharon

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Doh! It's not a wild cucumber!! I just looked that up and it's not even close. My vine isn't in my wild plants ID guide either. I'm just running on shaky memory here, but when I was a kid there was a park on the riverbank close to here with natural forest, and these vines would climb the trees and unless I'm mistaken made a big hollow fruit with spines on the outside and rattly seeds inside. We called them wild cucumbers. Now I don't know what they are. The vines are very vigorous and have twisty tendrils.

And I also don't know what the alliums are, they are the ones I posted asking what they were when they came up. They are quite big and tall.

Toots, thanks for the lilac name, I was wondering.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Gillian, could those be allium 'Christophii'? The individual flowers are larger than Purple Sensation, and the whole flower head is larger too. I have one of these and it hasn't bloomed yet, whereas the P. Sensations are done blooming for awhile now.

Btw, I've probably got enough baby gas plants for 15 to 20 people, so Gillian, you'll be first to get one!;^)

Here is a link that might be useful: Christophii

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well your cucumber is pretty cool Gil, I was thinking perhaps you have Indian Cucumber Root Medeola virginiana, but those grow two tiers of leaves and don't have tendrils
    What ever it is save some seed for me, you got such cool plants in your new garden!

What the heck is it, this is buggin' me! LOL

Sharon

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Thanks Laurie, those alliums look like mine. Each flower is fairly big, like you say.

Sharon, it's bugging me toooo! I'm starting to think these are not the same as the cucumber thingies we used to find at all. It looks like they are forming a round panicle of berries of some sort... maybe when they ripen it will be easier to tell what they are. For sure I will save some seeds for you. BTW the vine is getting very tall... it's growing in my honeysuckle tree.

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gil, I wonder if your unknown vine is called Cynanchum laeve? Commonly known as honeyvine, honeyvine milkweed or climbing milkweed. I was searching for milkweed species and came across this one and I said wow, that kind of looks like Gil's plant that she posted. I'm not sure if it is Cynanchum because when I google photos I don't see any tendrils?
    This is really bugging me. LOL, maybe post your photo over at the Name That Plant forum and see what they say?

Sharon

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Thanks Sharon, but I'm pretty sure that's not it. The vine is now over 12' tall and branching out. It has very definite curly-cue tendrils like a grape. The flowers were different from those too. Behind each flower was a large swelling that looked like it was going to be a berry or fruit of some kind, but I went out to look and there is nothing there. There were dried flowers left on one panicle and they were just crumbly and brown with no sign of a fruit. Perhaps they didn't get pollinated.

I'm going to post it on name that plant, good idea!

• legumefinder
    14 years ago

Your vine is smilax herbacea, carrion flower. They are dioecious plants and you would need a male and a female plant to get any berries. I think they're pretty neat vines myself.

Dave.

• shazam_z3
    13 years ago

Ah, I remember that year. Back when it was sunny and warm in June.

• sazzyrose
    13 years ago

:) Yes it was much warmer. lol