Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

Lilies 2011

Laurie_z3_MB
12 years ago

It was mentioned that a thread should be started just for lilies, and once I see more pictures, I might be able to actually pick only one favorite for the other thread.:)

Here's what I've had bloom so far:

Noid, but likely an LA hybrid due to the size of the flower.

Another noid, and the colour positively glows.

Noid, and likely an LA hybrid again.

Noid, but sunglasses bright!

Small noid.

First time martagon 'Brocade' has bloomed for me, and it's proven it's self as a keeper.

Asiatic 'Push Off', I believe it may be a contender for my "favorite" award.

Laurie

Comments (23)

• valleyrimgirl
    12 years ago

Laurie,

I think your small noid might be Pink Pixie.And,...your orange lily might be Orange Monarch or Orange Mountain.

Great pictures by the way.

Brenda

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

I'm starting to really like martagons and I can see why Brocade is a keeper!

• savona
    12 years ago

mmmmm..lily season, is there anything better?...Jean

• savona
    12 years ago

YAY I can jump into this posting now. Today my first lilies opened up...Jean
    Red Pixie Lily

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

I've done a web search and can't find the information. Could someone please tell me what NOID is?

According to my web search, it was an advertising character for Domino's pizza in the 80's, LOL !

Beautiful pictures BTW.

My yellow with burgundy, and my burgundy lilies, are spectacular right now =:)

• valleyrimgirl
    12 years ago

NOID...means

no id or no identification.

Brenda

• nutsaboutflowers
    12 years ago

OMG !

My yard is full of NOIDs =:)

Thanks for the speedy response.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brenda, it sure could be 'Pink Pixie', but I think I would hesitate to label it 100% true. Unless I've bought it as being "blank" lily and it blooms true, then I know for sure I have a properly named plant. I'm sure you understand...it's like when you buy a pink lady slipper and later it blooms and turns out to be some tiny lavender aster-like flower?;) Oh well...

Jean, Red Pixie is such a lovely rich colour...so pretty!

Well a few more are opening up with this heat wave that's hit. 35C for tomorrow here and with the humidity it'll feel like 50C...I'll be melting.:(

I believe this one is 'Royal Sunset'.

All the rest of these are noids, but still pretty.

There's got to be more lilies blooming out there...come on, let's see those pretties.:)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Here are some of mine:

A NOID - well, it must have one, but with me, they're usually "Forgotten IDs"!.

Tiny Ghost - why is it red?

Summer Breeze:

Forever Marjolein:

Garden Treasure or Pleasure:

Ocean Breeze:

At the moment, my favourite is a toss-up between Ocean Breeze and Forever Marjolein. :)

• savona
    12 years ago

Laurie I bought some Royal Sunset lily bulbs this spring and instead of starting them in the green house for a jump start on the season I planted them straight into the soil. They are slower to come up and set buds but I am happy to see what they will eventually look like..absolutely lovely!
    Marcia Ocean Breeze and Summer Breeze are beautiful...Jean

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

All gorgeous BTW! Laurie, could your glower be Nello?

Although I am not usually one for speckled, I sure like Marcia's Ocean Breeze and Laurie's white NOID :)

12 years ago

I'm not usually crazy about speckled lilies either, but this one is a keeper! :)

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Ocean Breeze is like a breath of fresh air, so clean and pure looking!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jean, you won't be disappointed with Royal Sunset. Once it clumps up, it's the main attraction when it's blooming!

Honalee it could very well be Nello. I didn't plant it, it came with the house. I like it, so it'll stay.

Ocean Breeze is a beauty! But I love speckled lilies.:)

Here's another speckled beauty, 'Suncrest'

And 'Centerfold' always makes me smile.

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Suncrest certainly is a beauty! I trekked across the yard in the rain this morning to see what that huge lily was. Yeah, it was Suncrest, just a single flower so far, but the size is amazing in itself. The other stem has more buds I'm happy to say. I had relocated this lily to a better location and I think it is happier, but still not up to the number of buds you're showing, Laurie.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, those LA hybrids are certainly much larger than the asiatics. They seem to be almost double the size of an asiatic flower with a heavier substance with same hardiness as an asiatic. Definitely a win/win situation. To be quite honest I'm not sure how that Suncrest even got where it is. It's coming up in between some rocks right by the front edge of the pond. It might possibly have been left there from before they installed the pond and all the rock around it. It looks a bit strange where it is now, certainly not where I would have put it. There are more of them towards the back of the waterfall, so I'm thinking they were moved there and this poor guy got left behind.

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

I only have two LA hybrids, and for me I'm disappointed in their performance. Perhaps my zone is just a bit much for them. I get very few blooms. In fact some years no bloom at all. The asiatics do just fine though.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmm, that's interesting, maybe that little bit of difference between zones 1 to 2 does make a big difference to the LA's. If asiatics do well for you then it's not a matter of soil or light conditions. Are the two LA's you do have in warm zone in your yard, or just a regular area? When I was living out in the country any plants that I wanted to push the zone with, I'd plant on the south side of the house which was sheltered from the west winds by a deck. All the snow from the deck was also shoveled on top as well. By doing this, I had a very happy 6 year old smoke bush and I even did manage to keep a japanese maple alive over one winter too. Trial and error...always fun stuff in gardening.:)

12 years ago

Photobucket might be cooperating now. :)

Shirley:

Stones:

Snowbrook:

Pink Superior:

Peachy Keen:

King Pete:

Evina:

Bright Diamond:

Coral Sunrise:

Amethyst Temple:

• north53 Z2b MB
    12 years ago

Thanks Laurie for trying to trouble-shoot my LA's. I have moved them into the garden which is the sunniest spot in my yard. So no they're not near the house, because it would be too shady there. My garden seems to have the best soil for lilies. I call it the gravel pit. Stuff grows really well if I can keep it watered.
    It could be that they got off to such a bad start initially. I had ordered them from the Lily Nook and they arrived really late in the fall. I had to plant them in the snow, so wasn't all that careful about placement, etc. Then they languished in that spot until I realized it was too shady. Now they are in a better place.

Here's a few of my other lilies.
    Aurora; She grows in my front yard and gets probably too much sun, which bleaches out the colour quickly, but it is thriving.

Beaudatious; one that I rescued from my perennial border where it had virtually disappeared. I'm glad to see it is recovering, though the foliage still doesn't look healthy.

Eleanor Yates; Also moved out of the border. I guess the soil there is too heavy for lilies. She's made a great recovery in the garden.

I forget the name of this one. It only had the one stem which was snapped off in the storm.

This one is one of my favourites. It is very dark. The camera doesn't show the true shade at all. I think it is called Summer's Night.

Marcia, you have a very nice selection also. I especially like Evina and Coral Sunrise. King Pete's really nice too!

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Great lilies gals! LAs do well in my garden but Orientals and crosses are completely hit & miss. I've had several that bloomed for one to two years and then disappeared. I also have several that grow a skinny little ladder of seven leaves year after year, and never flower. There are only three that are long-term winners:

Zagora (got badly burnt by the heat wave but it's a great lily)

Avocado and my little spider friend

Altari is my best OT.

I can't remember the class of Bright Star but it does fabulous and even increases well. It's very tall and needs staking.

A lot of my regular Asiatics seem to be sputtering out... not sure why.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yup, I think I need to get a couple of OT's for next year. I had Altari before and it did wonderfully, so that may be on the "to get" list.

Gillian, your spider friend blends very well into Avacado. Very cute!

12 years ago

Still some blooming! Here's Medail:

New this year - Love Story. I love it!

Garden Pleasure (which makes the yellow one in an above post Garden Treasure - i checked!)

Broken Heart

Giraffe and Peachy Keen

Fantasy

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH