{{gwi:702558}}
Sambucus nigra Black Lace

Have a great week everyone!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Week of July 1st

Comments (17)

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Sharon, you have some really interesting flowers going on this week. I love the variety in your garden :)
    White Lupin and unknown iris

Painted Daisy

Dicentra Spectabalis 'Alba'...just starting.

Pansy

Columbine Songbird SEries 'Robin'...this bloom is humungo! And the plant is only about 10" high.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Sharon, I really like your cow parsley. How bad does it re-seed for you? The leaves are very interesting on it. How tall is your 'Black Lace' elder? Mine won't bloom this year. I wonder if it's because mine stayed outside, while you put yours in the pumphouse? Mine's come along quite nicely, minus any flowers, and is about 3 feet tall.

Toots, I really like the colouring on that pansy. Must remind myself come seed buying season to get more different ones.;^)

Here's what's blooming in my garden this week.

False Spirea
    {{gwi:713988}}

Delphiniums

Mock Orange. I'm not sure on the variety, but after seeing seeing your pic, Sharon, of Blizzard, I don't think that's what I have.
    {{gwi:701073}}

Foxglove 'Grandiflora'
    {{gwi:713991}}

Poppy
    {{gwi:701962}}

Phlox 'Twinkle Mix' (Thanks for the seed Gillian!)
    {{gwi:701958}}

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Toots, I really love the colour in your Pansy too!

Thanks Laurie, the Cow Parsley can self-seed like crazy if you don't cut back all the spent flowers off. If one is collecting seed, just leave one flower stalk go to seed and collect them before they fall ;) If you want some seed this fall let me know about this one too. It WS's very well but doesn't flower till its second year.

I only got one 'Black Lace' bloom so far but holy smokes the flower is huge! I'm wondering if it's because it was fertilize a couple of times since I grow mine in a container. Mine is about 3-4' high too. It's getting really big that I might have to transplant it into a bigger container next spring, but then how the heck will I lift it down into the pumphouse for the winter, LOL. I just might end up transplanting it into the ground next spring too. Watch it will probably die if I do that! LOL

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Sure, Sharon, please save me some seed from the Cow Parsley. I'm not sure where I'd go with it, but I'm sure I can find a spot somewhere.;^)

Woohooo! My new waterlily bloomed today, and it's actually the colour that it said on the package!:0)
    {{gwi:713992}}

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Nelly Moser is blooming now - she has nice big blossoms!
    {{gwi:701250}}

Polemonium 'Heavenly Habit':

Still haven't found the tag for this veronica:

Laurie's cactus:

Gotta run - storm coming in! :)

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Marcia, Your cactus looks like a little person just waiting for a hug! Ouch!

More columbines opened today...both the same color but one is a giant and the other is a small flowered one. I quite like the white blossoms. The big one is maybe more of a cream color. 2 years ago I tried to order a white columbine from Botanus but they were sold out already, but lo and behold I ended up with these two from some mixed seedlings a friend shared :)

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

Not much exciting happening in my garden this week, but took a few pictures anyway.

This tanacetum reseeds and pops up in some interesting places. I like this combination.

All my deltoide mix seedlings seem to be these two colors.

I treated myself to this trolius. I sure hope it proves to be hardy for me.

This spring I moved this heuchera to a better location. It only has a few flowering stems, but a very nice cluster of flowers. It was started from seed years ago, from a Dr. Sitar's hybrid mix.

I've been waiting for years to see this bloom. I started it from seed in 2002. It is filipendula hexapetala. The foliage is feathery like a yarrow.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Looking good ladies! North53 - that's a long time to wait for the filipendula but it's nice! Does it smell at all? Marcia - that cactus looks like a very uncomfortable mitten, LOL.

Here are mine for this week...
    {{gwi:698123}}
    Some of my beloved Goutweed. I remember there was a discussion about Goutweed and Peonies - there they are. I wouldn't try this with a peony less tall or vigorous than Festiva Maxima.

{{gwi:702024}}

I have never grown Penstemons before - I'm just loving them. These are 'Dwarf Navigator'.

This Dianthus is tall and seems to increase quite a bit.

{{gwi:698963}}
    A neglected planter - violas and chickweed - note to self... clean out planter.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

Everyone's gardens are looking amazing! Wow, some great plants growing (along with my wishlist ofcourse!)

While all the kids were still fast asleep this morning I actually got a chance to scoot outside and snap a few pics!

Monarda is just starting.

I'm loving the simplicity of the planter with just geraniums!

I am loving how this container is filling in!

Pretty happy with this container too.

Long shot of the garden.

These last two are surprises from last summer -- I guess these do self-seed! LOL

Ang

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Ang, your planters look great. Mine, as usual, look like crap. LOL.

Here's the Verbascum nigrum I planted at work last year - I'm really liking it as a commercial/landscape plant, it's got good impact and is completely carefree. I get a lot of customers asking what it is - I tell them if they want seeds to come back in the fall and there will be 24 billion up for grabs.
    {{gwi:700545}}

• savona
    16 years ago

Great pictures of your lovely flowers everyone.This is a good week here in zone brrr, things are starting to bloom really well.It is hard to pick and chose which ones to share.
    double click cosmos
    {{gwi:714019}}
    coral pink oriental poppy
    {{gwi:714020}}
    Richard David dahlia..hmmm I might have posted a picture of him before
    {{gwi:628380}}
    white cactus dahlia
    {{gwi:714021}}
    Betony
    {{gwi:714022}}
    first stella d'oro to bloom
    {{gwi:714024}}
    foxglove
    {{gwi:714026}}
    delphiniums
    {{gwi:714028}}
    {{gwi:714030}}
    helenium
    {{gwi:714032}}
    annual aster andrella type
    {{gwi:714034}}
    savona

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Lovely clump of Betony, Savona :)

Ang, what plant is your 2nd to last photo of? Its pretty.

Gil, I think your Goutweed looks great!

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Very nice, everyone.

Gillian, your Dianthus is D. carthusianorum (I believe the common name is Clusterhead Pink). I've got some blooming as well now from seeds started last year, and fully intend to collect those seeds to start some more. I just love them.

Ang, do you have a name for the second-to-last photo - the lilac coloured flower? It's really pretty.

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

This container of a mish mash of things is coming along...I had to take a photo from the back of it to get the susan though :) I love Rudbeckias :) This one is Indian Summer.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

Toots and pudge, I'm pretty sure its Candytuft 'Fairy Mixed'. I love it too!

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Pudge, thanks for the Dianthus ID. Mine is a pretty big clump and it seems to have a few volunteers around it. Not sure how long it's been there though.

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Thanks Ang!