Eschscholzia californica aurantiaca Orange California Poppy

Campanula glomerata Clustered Bellflower

Have a great everyone!

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Week of July 8th

Comments (13)

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Sharon, I love the deep purple color of the Clustered Bellflower. But, it is very invasive. This picture I took a few minutes ago. Two years ago this clump of bellflower was 2 one foot sized circles. It spreads by runners, very fast. I need to go in and clean it up again but I will let it bloom first. Everyone comments on how much they love the flower and so, I will not get rid of it, but I sure feel like it sometimes.

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Here is a shot of one of my beds.

Astrantia Major Claret

Bluelight Clematis. I can't get over how big the flowers are. This one's center will keep opening until it is a bomb. Each flowers last about 3 weeks.

Some annuals in another bed.

Raspberry Parfait Dianthus

This is a plant from seeds that I had saved from my Dianthus. This plant cannot decide what color it wants to be.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Shelley, do you like Major Claret now?

My Rona masterwort is blooming now also.

Brenda

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Shelley that clematis is incredible! Sharon, your delphs look great. Something keeps eating the leaves on mine and they're really struggling.

Here's a sundial I made myself at work... apparently the squirrel thinks it's a table for him. I saw him running away and if you look closely he left a peanut on it. LOL.
    {{gwi:702481}}

Unfortunately sundials have to be graduated (or tilted) for your latitude and this one isn't, so it's only accurate around noon.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Brenda, I like my Claret Astrantia better than my Moulin Rouge.

The flowers are smaller and more washed out looking.
    I have another one yet that I ordered from Lindenberg. I thought that I was getting a lighter coloured one but it is also darker. Next year I want to find a lighter pink one like yours.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gil, love your sundial that you made. That's right you work with tombstones don't you ;)
    That's one thing we don't get here is squirrels, knock on wood I haven't seen one yet.

Brenda, I don't mind that Clustered Bellflower is invasive, its in a bed that it can duke it out for space with other invasives. I have them in 3 places in that particular bed.

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Gillian, I forgot to say before that I am in awe of your sundial. You do very nice work. How big is your sundial?

Shelley

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Beautious pics, everyone! :)

Achillea m. 'Angelique' is now blooming:

Here's a balloon flower that i got for my birthday this year:

And campanula 'Blue Clips' blooming behind the flax:

This is Campanula persicifolia 'alba':

Digitalis grandiflora:

Look what's happening to Hosta 'White Feather'(right there in front of the upsidedown tag):

His leaves are rotting. Any idea why?

Here's Lychnis coronaria, winter sown a couple of years ago and blooming for the first time:

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Thanks for the sundial compliments :0) Shelley if I remember correctly the plinth is 10" square x either 2'-6" or 3' tall. Sharon yes I do make headstones and sometimes more cheery things like sundials and benches and clocks. ;0)

Marcia, that's too bad about your white hosta! I don't know why it would be turning brown but I have heard they are just not as robust. I hope it comes back for you :0(

Your white plant with it is very nice too, is it a lamium?

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Gil, it's lamium 'White Nancy'. I really like lamiums, this one especially, but i tend to lose quite a bit of it each spring - only the 'White Nancy', i mean. The other lamiums (aureum and 'Pewter Pink') are hardier for me. I'm going to take some cuttings from it this summer and try to establish it in a couple of other places to see if it will be hardier in another setting.

• i_heart_flowers
    16 years ago

What beautiful gardens you all have! I want mine to look like that when it grows up!

Just had a little bit of a shower so I had to run out and snap some pics. They always look so nice after the rain.

Cannes
    {{gwi:714569}}

Black Jack
    {{gwi:714573}}

Cote D'Azur
    {{gwi:714577}}

Monte Negro
    {{gwi:714581}}

The most friendly flower!
    {{gwi:714585}}

Wonder what next week will bring? Don't you just love the suspense!

Happy Gardening Everyone!

I Flowers!

• savona
    16 years ago

So many beauties to comment on.
    Sharon- it looks like i have several fasiated delphs too this year, your clustered bell flower is lovely
    Brenda- your flowerbed with the bell flower is gorgeous
    Gillian your sun dial is wonderful!
    Marcia too bad about your hosta white feathers..your Lychnis coronaria is beautiful
    Love flowers you have a rainbow of lily colours there..got to love those shasta daises

a few of mine
    avalanche lily..about time! what a slow poke it was
    {{gwi:714588}}
    dianthus..red maiden and arctic fire..are blooming their little heads off right now
    {{gwi:714591}}
    Topaz Jewel
    {{gwi:714593}}
    william baffin
    {{gwi:714595}}
    annual statice
    {{gwi:714597}}
    Bowl of Beauty peony
    {{gwi:714600}}
    Sarah Bernhart peony
    {{gwi:714604}}
    achillea
    {{gwi:714606}}
    savona

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

Again, wow, great bloomers everyone!

Here's some surprises from this week around my gardens:

African Daisy that I started from seed fairly late actually but it's blooming and it's as pretty as I'd hoped it would be!

My DD#3 helped my plant these seeds and therefore they are now "MY kitty-cat flowers" according to her! LOL

This little Calendula is totally tucked away in the huge display of Shasta Daisies. I only noticed him yesterday when I was out there weeding!

Ahhh I can't wait to see this Cosmos in bloom!

I had no idea the Amaranthus 'Velvet Curtains' would reseed! I didn't plant any here this year but I did last year! LOL

Gotta love these types of surprises! 8~)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia