Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Sunflowers 2006

Crazy_Gardener
17 years ago

Well since we have separate threads for our Delphs, Lilies, Roses and Daylilies, LOL, let's have one for Sunflowers too. ;)

Here's a new one that I'm trying this year, so far I love it.

Helianthus annus ÂCherry Rose' Sunflower

Lets see your happy faces too ;)

Sharon

Comments (23)

• kat3
    17 years ago

Pretty... I had those last year..
    Mine are a disaster this year ... But might still get a couple, we hope..

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Beautiful colour on that one Sharon. I didn't plant any this year. Don't know what I was thinking!lol

• savona
    17 years ago

Lovely colour...wow sunflowers already!..I really must live in zone brrrr..lol..savona

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks gals,

Yes, Laurie, What were you thinking ;) LOL

Here's the first bloom of ÂEarth WalkerÂ

Helianthus petiolaris Prairie Sunflower

Helianthus 'Bird Seed'

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

LOL Lost my head! I know!

Next year, I think I'll have to do a row of them in the veggie garden. I know I'll have room there.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

This was my first one of the year. I've got a few more from a 'Mixed Varieties" package so there will hopefully be more fun colours coming!

Ang

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ohhhh, damn thats a cool color Ang, looks nearly lime! Love it!

Here is one that a bird seeded, most likely from the bird seed that I feed them all winter long. Look at those HUGE leaves on the bottom!

{{gwi:697505}}

Sharon

• vrie
    17 years ago

I know I put this in the weekly but I had to add in here. I planted way more sunflowers than came up but since i mixed them I don't know which ones didn't come up. Besides, my 12 yo did most of the planting. When they all bloom. I'll know for sure.

Lemon Queen

The new bed he's putting in-- I wanted a sunflower hedge there but I think it'll turn into berries!

Still waiting for the pastiche, velvet queen and mammoths

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

That bird seeded sunflower is sure putting on a show, my bird seeded ones haven't even bloomed yet and they only have a single stalk.
    Here is one that I planted that opened finally yesterday.

{{gwi:714663}}

Helianthus 'Jade'

I also like Sharon's 'Earth Walker' and Ang's sunflower.

Cheers Al

• Konrad___far_north
    17 years ago

All lovely pictures!...I love sunflowers, these are grown from a flower mix, don't ask me what verities.
    Konrad

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Here are some of mine:

This red one (Prada Red, maybe?) was facing in the wrong direction:

This one was bird-planted:

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Very nice folks!

ÂPacino ColaÂ

'Ring of Fire'

'Red Sun'

Sharon

• Konrad___far_north
    17 years ago

Very Lovely!!

Teddy Bear
    Growing them the first year and have fallen in love with them!...What a Beauty!
    But kind of late in the season for flowering for me?...did that happened to yours
    too? If so, would you get flowers at all in a normal year with lesser amount of heat units then we had this year.
    They say, we had 30% more then many other years.
    Konrad

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Konrad, that Teddy Bear sunflower is to die for! It's so cute! You're right that we had a LOT of extra heat this year, so whether they would get a chance to bloom in a so called, "normal" year would be interesting to see.

Well, I never did get around to planting any sunflowers myself, but this guy must have jumped into the pot of daylilies that I got from Brenda.

We'll see how long he lasts before the big fr**** comes :(

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Konrad, Teddy Bear is so cool looking! I will have to try that one next year.

Yes, alot of them will bloom late, but there are ones that will bloom earlier. 'Cherry Rose' is a early one, started to bloom here in July.

For a head start, you can always start them indoors around the second week of May, then transplant on June 1st.

Sharon

• Konrad___far_north
    17 years ago

Thank you Brenda & Sharon!

All that work gives you a good feeling, especially when the birds have the last fun of it!

Have you got some... "Icing on the cake" to share?

{{gwi:714680}}

17 years ago

Wonderful pictures, Konrad! Last year i had a large sunflower head that had flopped over to face the ground. There was a blue jay that tried and tried to flop over himself to get to the seeds, and i tried and tried to get a decent picture of him. This was about the best, a little blurry because it was taken through the window:

While i was looking, i came across these pictures of a chipmunk who fared a lot better in getting at those seeds - i'd forgotten about him!

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Wow great pictures! Gotta love the acrobatics that those birds/critters do to get the seeds.

I tried and tried last fall/winter to get some good pictures of the birds at the seedheads but the digital zoom leaves alot to be desired (on my camera anyways!).

Ang

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Wow great shots guys. I love the one of the yellow bird. Do you know what it is? I don't get many birds in my yard as the dogs chase them away.

Syreeta

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Those are great shots of sunflowers & birds Kodrad!

17 years ago

I think that's a goldfinch, Syreeta.

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Thanks Marcia.

Syreeta

• Konrad___far_north
    17 years ago

Thank you all!
    Nice shots Marcia!
    Have seen Squirrel on the sunflower before, it seems we have not chipmonks here.
    Konrad