Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sunflowers 2006

Posted by crazy_gardener ~Z2b~ AB Canada (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 3:13

Well since we have separate threads for our Delphs, Lilies, Roses and Daylilies, LOL, let's have one for Sunflowers too. ;)

Here's a new one that I'm trying this year, so far I love it.

Helianthus annus Cherry Rose' Sunflower

Lets see your happy faces too ;)

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sunflowers 2006

• Posted by kat3 z3AB.Can. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 14:45

Pretty... I had those last year..
Mine are a disaster this year ... But might still get a couple, we hope..

o

Beautiful colour on that one Sharon. I didn't plant any this year. Don't know what I was thinking!lol

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 19, 06 at 17:24

Lovely colour...wow sunflowers already!..I really must live in zone brrrr..lol..savona

o

Thanks gals,

Yes, Laurie, What were you thinking ;) LOL

Here's the first bloom of Earth Walker

Helianthus petiolaris Prairie Sunflower

Helianthus 'Bird Seed'

Sharon

o

LOL Lost my head! I know!

Next year, I think I'll have to do a row of them in the veggie garden. I know I'll have room there.

o

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This was my first one of the year. I've got a few more from a 'Mixed Varieties" package so there will hopefully be more fun colours coming!

Ang

o

Ohhhh, damn thats a cool color Ang, looks nearly lime! Love it!

Here is one that a bird seeded, most likely from the bird seed that I feed them all winter long. Look at those HUGE leaves on the bottom!

Sharon

o

• Posted by vrie 3/4 MT (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 27, 06 at 16:08

I know I put this in the weekly but I had to add in here. I planted way more sunflowers than came up but since i mixed them I don't know which ones didn't come up. Besides, my 12 yo did most of the planting. When they all bloom. I'll know for sure.

Lemon Queen

The new bed he's putting in-- I wanted a sunflower hedge there but I think it'll turn into berries!

Still waiting for the pastiche, velvet queen and mammoths

o

That bird seeded sunflower is sure putting on a show, my bird seeded ones haven't even bloomed yet and they only have a single stalk.
Here is one that I planted that opened finally yesterday.

Helianthus 'Jade'

I also like Sharon's 'Earth Walker' and Ang's sunflower.

Cheers Al

o

All lovely pictures!...I love sunflowers, these are grown from a flower mix, don't ask me what verities.
Konrad

o

Here are some of mine:

This red one (Prada Red, maybe?) was facing in the wrong direction:

This one was bird-planted:

o

Very nice folks!

Pacino Cola

'Ring of Fire'

'Red Sun'

Sharon

o

Very Lovely!!

Teddy Bear
Growing them the first year and have fallen in love with them!...What a Beauty!
But kind of late in the season for flowering for me?...did that happened to yours
too? If so, would you get flowers at all in a normal year with lesser amount of heat units then we had this year.
They say, we had 30% more then many other years.
Konrad

o

Konrad, that Teddy Bear sunflower is to die for! It's so cute! You're right that we had a LOT of extra heat this year, so whether they would get a chance to bloom in a so called, "normal" year would be interesting to see.

Well, I never did get around to planting any sunflowers myself, but this guy must have jumped into the pot of daylilies that I got from Brenda.

We'll see how long he lasts before the big fr**** comes :(

o

Konrad, Teddy Bear is so cool looking! I will have to try that one next year.

Yes, alot of them will bloom late, but there are ones that will bloom earlier. 'Cherry Rose' is a early one, started to bloom here in July.

For a head start, you can always start them indoors around the second week of May, then transplant on June 1st.

Sharon

o

Thank you Brenda & Sharon!

All that work gives you a good feeling, especially when the birds have the last fun of it!

Have you got some... "Icing on the cake" to share?

o

Wonderful pictures, Konrad! Last year i had a large sunflower head that had flopped over to face the ground. There was a blue jay that tried and tried to flop over himself to get to the seeds, and i tried and tried to get a decent picture of him. This was about the best, a little blurry because it was taken through the window:

While i was looking, i came across these pictures of a chipmunk who fared a lot better in getting at those seeds - i'd forgotten about him!

o

Wow great pictures! Gotta love the acrobatics that those birds/critters do to get the seeds.

I tried and tried last fall/winter to get some good pictures of the birds at the seedheads but the digital zoom leaves alot to be desired (on my camera anyways!).

Ang

o

Wow great shots guys. I love the one of the yellow bird. Do you know what it is? I don't get many birds in my yard as the dogs chase them away.

Syreeta

o

Those are great shots of sunflowers & birds Kodrad!

o

I think that's a goldfinch, Syreeta.

o

Thanks Marcia.

Syreeta

o

Thank you all!
Nice shots Marcia!
Have seen Squirrel on the sunflower before, it seems we have not chipmonks here.
Konrad

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here