Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

Garden Pics- Week of July 23

Laurie_z3_MB
17 years ago

Another week gone already. They seem to be just flying by!

The daturas are in full swing now, and oh, how sweet their scent is in these hot evenings.

Double yellow

Single purple

Single white

We could sure use rain. Everything's sooooo dry and crispy :(

Laurie

Comments (33)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

One of my daturas has bloomed twice, once in April and once in May (one flower each time). It was in the house when it bloomed, but had been outside off and on. Now that it's outside full time, no sign of blooms. I've never grown them before - maybe i'm doing something wrong?

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

Beautiful photos Laurie. I must try some Datura next year.

{{gwi:715931}}
    An unknown ivy geranium that my 6 yr old picked out.

{{gwi:715933}}
    A spirea that I bought several years ago. I don't know the name.
    Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Marcia, is it in the ground or in a planter? Is it getting enough water? They love water to get nice and large and mature. Maybe yours are developing a great root system. Are they in full sun or part sun? The ones I have under a tree that self seeded are very small, bloomed once and are not filling out at all. The ones in planters that I remembered to water are starting to fill out and almost always now have a bloom opening.

{{gwi:715935}}

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That seems weird Marcia. Do you have yours in the garden or in pots? They like full sun, and I don't even fertilize mine. The single purple ones just self seed everywhere in the garden, so when they start coming up in the spring, I just carefully transplant them where I want them when they're tiny, as they don't seem to like to be transplanted much. The single white was supposed to be a double purple, and I already have the single whites self seeding in the garden too, but they aren't as bad as the single purple variety. The double yellow I started in April for the first time, so I'll have to collect seed from it in case it doesn't re-seed like the others.

Maybe they just like my clay soil. Who knows?lol

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I guess we posted at the same time Brenda! Now Marcia has double the advice.......that should do the trick!lol

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Wonder how Marcia's tour is going and whether she was able to get everything done that she wanted to for today.

Brenda

• nman
    17 years ago

Cucurbita maxima (Atlantic GiantPumpkin):

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Nman, you're feeding them beer? So that's how they get so big........they've got beer bellies!lol

Yes, hopefully Marcia's having a great time showing off her garden. I'm sure everybody's loving it!

Laurie

17 years ago

Hey, thanks, people! :) I posted about the tour in Discussions.

My daturas are in containers in part sun. I did notice that one has buds on it now, but i can't remember if that's the one that bloomed before or not. As for water, i try to get everything watered, but i know they haven't been watered enough. I'll make sure of it now and see what happens.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A couple more new ones are blooming.

This is Sarasota campanula (thanks Brenda!)
    {{gwi:700029}}

Verbascum (thanks Marcia!)
    {{gwi:703313}}

17 years ago

So the verbascum wasn't the pink one - too bad! But it looks great! The ones i dug out before the tour were awfully droopy. Did yours flop for awhile? Maybe they were small enough when i dug them up so they would rebound faster. A lot of people asked about the verbascum, and when they did, i pointed out that there it was again over here, and over there, and in there, and way over there! Remember to deadhead!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marcia, it did flop for a little while, maybe a week, but then it perked up and started gowing like mad. I think it's really pretty being a bi-colour. I love the little mauve centers. The white ones that I w/s still aren't looking like much at all. Actually, I'd be amazed if I saw flowers out of those little guys this year, so I'm really glad that yours did so well so that I could see what a verbascum looks like in person!

Oh yes, thanks for the deadheading reminder. But I just may have to save a bit of seed you know ;^)

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

New for me this weekend:

Acidanthera is blooming! I really love it! .... now if only I would love the rest of the plants in the container....

A Mini mini sunflower... all of 5" tall!

Ang

17 years ago

Most of mine are in the Garden Tour album i posted, but here are some i took today:

A bunny that visited while the dogs were still in bed:

White impatiens:

Hollyhock 'Dark Pink Single', WS last year:

Hollyhock 'Indian Spring', also WS last year:

Rudbeckia, going nuts this year:

Echinacea 'Big Sky Sunrist':

Zinnias, WS this year. Most of the seed was from Cindy.

Eep! Sorry, i forgot to edit for size! :)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

{{gwi:696974}}
    Gazania splendens Kiss Yellow Flame

{{gwi:22754}}
    Nigella hispanica (Thanks Rick for the seed!)

{{gwi:417416}}
    Monarda citriodora Lemon Bergamot

{{gwi:540705}}
    Verbascum chaixii var. album

{{gwi:540702}}
    Solidago 'Crown of Rays' Goldenrod

{{gwi:715954}}
    Datura Variegated

Datura meteloides

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

It is really nice to see what is blooming in other peoples yards. It looks like I'm a week or so behind everyone. Here are a few shots from my yard.

Syreeta

• zone_envy
    17 years ago

Haven't had much time to post lately, but I have been keeping up with everyone else's. Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying all the beautiful pics you're all posting. My wish list is growing....and growing...and - well you get the picture, lol.

Marcia, I'm glad the zinnias are doing so well for you. They look great, and your pics are a million times nicer than the ones on the seed packs!

Hopefully I'll find time to post some pics soon, but for now...back to painting. Yuck :( I wanna go play in the garden instead :^(

Cindy

• reddscarlette
    17 years ago

The only thing I have growing that's finally bloomed is Scarlet Flax, at the time the pic was taken it was only one lone flower, now it has a friend and there are 2 :)
    {{gwi:715963}}

Nikki~

17 years ago

More pictures!

Verbascum:

A yellow verbascum - phoenicium, maybe?

Four O'clocks are starting to open (i think it opened at 4:00 a.m.):

Found this at the nursery last week. They weren't sure what it is - looks like a miniature Wandering Jew:

This zucchini blossom looked really pretty this morning:

• vrie
    17 years ago

I decided I've taken alot of pictures, so rather than type and fill things up, I played with the pics instead. I haven't had a chance at house pics much lately, so I went a bit overboard today!

And I can't post without fessing up that all is not perfect here. If you have a weak stomach, stop now LOL!

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

Lovely pics everyone!! I really like the collage you put together Vrie. Here are some from my yard.

{{gwi:715988}}
    Marigold 'Honeycomb'

{{gwi:715991}}
    Purple Monkshood

{{gwi:715994}}
    Canna 'Richard Wallace'

{{gwi:715997}}
    Ligularia

{{gwi:716000}}
    Verbena 'Obsession mix'

More next week

Cheers Al

• echoes_or
    17 years ago

Syreeta, what is the purple plant in picture five called. I inherited that plant and never knew. It's invasive for me and I have it in my grass which is hard to manage except by mowing... Thank you.

• angelao
    17 years ago

Hi Marcia,

Can you tell me what is the purple flowering plant in your second picture beside the yellow verbascum?

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wonderful pictures everybody!

Here's a couple more that are looking good.

A winter sown malva

Karl Foerster is taller than I am this year.

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

echoes,

The 5th picture, the plant with the purple flowers, it is called a clustered bellflower (campanula glomerata).

I also have it. One year I can have it wittled down to a nice 12 inch circle and the next year it has spread at least a foot larger all around, making it a 3 foot circle to deal with again. But boy, do I get comments on the show of flowers that they give.

I can see how it can be quite invasive if it gets into the lawn. At least it only spreads by underground runners and not seed, also.

Brenda

17 years ago

Angela, the plant with the tall spikey flowers is Lythrum 'Terra Nova'. Pretty, yes? :)

• savona
    17 years ago

Again beautiful blooms and pictures everyone. Here is a few of mine
    Tutti Frutti lupin started this year from seed
    {{gwi:697645}}
    yellow Duchess Aster..seems to be fading as it opens all the way
    {{gwi:716006}}
    monarda
    {{gwi:716008}}
    White Datura
    {{gwi:716010}}
    mixed flowers
    {{gwi:716012}}
    savona

• echoes_or
    17 years ago

My LARGE Shasta...

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Wow!! Are they tall!!!

Brenda

• verenap
    17 years ago

Lovely pictures everyone!!! I love looking at them all, getting inspired, and adding to my wish list. ;o) I wish I could join in the fun...maybe next year.

Vrie - on your critter collage...in case you didn't know, your little guy in the bottom middle is a mayfly. When they're hatching it's a great time to do some flyfishing!! (or since we're on a gardening forum...I should say...they don't eat the plants ;-)

Verena
    (Going in two weeks to SASK to camp and do some world class fishing on Tobin Lake...Hope it rains once while we're away!!! :-)

• vrie
    17 years ago

Verena- notice that that is flesh the mayfly is on-- the issue was that he wouldn't GET OFF! LOL

• verenap
    17 years ago

Well I guess I won't be showing off my lily bed, for sure, this year...I was just thinking how nice it looked yesterday evening in the overcast light...and I thought I should take a picture or two around the garden...but...I didn't. I came home today from dinner with my family...aparently it HAILED (GRRRRRRRRRR!) while I was gone...(not that I could have done anything) and it decimated my entire lily bed...there are only a few buds left, everything else was knocked off...and even they are bruised almost beyond recognition. :-( (Not to mention my amaranthus 'velvet curtains' that I started this spring and were finally taking off...they are full of holes and laying on their sides...from the looks of the cleaner holes in the rhubarb leaves, we must have gotten some loonie sized stuff... :-p)
    Gotta love that extreme AB weather!! lol

17 years ago

Oh how sad, Verena! I bet you feel like crying - i know i would. :(

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz