Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

Week of July 10, 2011

Laurie_z3_MB
12 years ago

Well the heat we've been having has certainly got things blooming. Unfortunately it's had a negative effect on the length of time of the blooms.

Lilies have started for me. Here's a noid that's pretty.

Martagon 'Redpath'

Martagon 'Helsinki'

'Royal Wedding' oriental poppy is a beauty for sure. I'm a sucker for white flowers and these are so huge. Just wish they lasted a little longer than 2-3 days.

Roses are in full force now.

Wish I knew the name of this one, as the colour is sooo nice and rich and velvety.

I just couldn't get a good picture of the nice rich lavendar colour of Itoh 'Morning Lilac'. They all turned out to be so washed out.:(

But Itoh 'Copper Kettle' turned out to be very photogenic for me.:)

And her again:

And here they are side by side:

My first daylily to bloom this year was 'Roses in Snow'...love it!!

Laurie

Comments (14)

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Laurie your red NOID rose looks superficially like Champlain. Could be.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I didn't even realize we were gallerying again. Here are some of mine from the spring and recent - I'm not sure the dates.

Fave SDB iris, Mystic Smile

Conservatively Clad photographs well but fairly boring in person, LOL

Chippy

Alliums

First time blooming, TB 'Uncle Charlie'

bridal wreath Spirea

Rio Samba rose

Agnes rugosa rose, hideous looking shrub this year but bloomed well.

NOID peony and goutweed

Mme. Plantier

Aster 'Violet Stripe' - I had 3 seeds left, luckily they all grew.

Bad photo but Celestial has gone freakin nuts this year. It was so beautiful.

Penstemons 'Dwarf Navigator' look nice the first year but increasingly untidy in subsequent years because they keep their stems from year to year.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your yard is looking amazing! And I love Mystic Smile, it's sooo pretty! And thanks, now I can't quit salivating over Rio Samba! I wish I had more room here for roses. I think I might have to get rid of the pink noid rose and get something that appeals to me more.
    Btw, the goutweed and peony picture looks like the perfect flower arrangement. I really like goutweed in the right place, but it's got such a bad boy reputation.:P

That's interesting about the Penstemons 'Dwarf Navigator' keeping it's stems...do they only bloom on the old "wood" and not send up new ones?

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Thanks Laurie. :0) Rio Samba is a gooder so far, it came through the winter nicely. The colour changes so much it's a fascinating rose to see.

It's hard to describe about the penstemons. They have sort of a gnarly thick "trunk" that lies prostrate, and the leaves and flowers grow up from it. The trunk persists through the winter and gets longer each year, so it looks sort of naked after a few years. I think I have a photo of the old ones at home, I'll look later. Anyway it's worth collecting seed and replanting every so often.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Clematis 'Durandi' is now climbing through my lilac bush:

Might be 'Russian House':

Malva:

Heliopsis:

Stella D'Oro:

Hawkeye Belle:

Tiny Bee:

Coppertine Ninebark:

Henry Kelsey:

Peony Primavere:

Delicata:

The Fairy:

Centre Glow Ninebark:

Clematis Multiblue:

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gill, that sounds really cool. Not your typical perennial by any means. A pic would be great.

Oh Marcia, your Hawkeye Belle IS doing wonderfully! Look at all those buds! You'll have blooms all summer.:) And the clematis are starting...just beautiful.

12 years ago

All the roses are really putting on a show this year!

• northspruce
    12 years ago

Does The Fairy die back for you much Marcia?

12 years ago

I just got it this year, Gil. It's zone 4 or 5, i think, so i plan to give it some extra protection this winter. It will get plenty of snowcover where it is, unless we don't get any! It's only a few feet from the edge of the driveway, so will have snow plowed on to it.

(It really bugs me that they don't let you have two follow-ups to a message close together in time.)

• savona
    12 years ago

Wow you girls are way ahead of me with your roses and lilies etc. I am still taking close up shots of the roses because there isnt enough open blooms on them to take whole rose bush pictures.
    Polareis

self seeded foxgloves

lupines that are self seeded

cup and saucer that came from a packet of canterbury bell seeds

a self sown delph seedling

raised vege beds

One of the little flowerbeds that is filling in nicely

I redid my pond. I took out the bathtub, dug it deeper and wider and put in a pond liner. Now I am happy with it.

Jean

12 years ago

Very pretty, Jean! I like how that flower bed has so many colours in it, and i love the lupines! The pink ones are so nice and dark! My red ones didn't come back this year, unless they're the dark purply blue ones that are in with the yellow ones.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Polareis is so pretty Jean! And your pond is really filling in too. Any fish in there? Your veggie garden is looking really good...now I have to have a salad for supper!;)

• savona
    12 years ago

Another noid peony opened today. It is a surprise. I got it from a friend but never seen it bloom at her place. The bud was dark red so I was expecting a red bloom.It is smaller then Bowl of Beauty and the stamenoides (sp) are pink instead of creamy coloured.It is probably a common peony since the people who had the place before her were not gardeners and bought it locally or was given a divison from someone else.

Gleaming Yellow siberian iris

No fish in the pond Laurie, our cats would spend all their time there fishing..lol
    Jean

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah, teasing cats with fish can be fun too! Ours loves watching the fish in the aquarium and is occupied for hours.Your noid peony is definitely a keeper Jean! Nice rich colour on it.

Daylily 'Forbidden Desires' had it's maiden bloom today.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but there's a really nice gold dusting to the edges...lovin' it!