Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Week of July 10, 2011

Posted by laurie_z3_mb sw MB (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 12:20

Well the heat we've been having has certainly got things blooming. Unfortunately it's had a negative effect on the length of time of the blooms.

Lilies have started for me. Here's a noid that's pretty.
Photobucket

Martagon 'Redpath'
Redpath

Martagon 'Helsinki'
Helsinki

'Royal Wedding' oriental poppy is a beauty for sure. I'm a sucker for white flowers and these are so huge. Just wish they lasted a little longer than 2-3 days.
Royal Wedding poppy

Roses are in full force now.
Photobucket

Wish I knew the name of this one, as the colour is sooo nice and rich and velvety.
Photobucket

I just couldn't get a good picture of the nice rich lavendar colour of Itoh 'Morning Lilac'. They all turned out to be so washed out.:(
Morning Lilac

But Itoh 'Copper Kettle' turned out to be very photogenic for me.:)
Copper Kettle

And her again:
Copper Kettle

And here they are side by side:
Copper Kettle and Morning Lilac

My first daylily to bloom this year was 'Roses in Snow'...love it!!
Roses in Snow

Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Week of July 10, 2011

Laurie your red NOID rose looks superficially like Champlain. Could be.

o
Adding some

I didn't even realize we were gallerying again. Here are some of mine from the spring and recent - I'm not sure the dates.

Fave SDB iris, Mystic Smile
Photobucket

Conservatively Clad photographs well but fairly boring in person, LOL
Photobucket

Chippy <3 bless his little stripey hide.
Photobucket

Alliums
Photobucket

First time blooming, TB 'Uncle Charlie'
Photobucket

bridal wreath Spirea
Photobucket

Rio Samba rose
Photobucket

Agnes rugosa rose, hideous looking shrub this year but bloomed well.
Photobucket

NOID peony and goutweed
Photobucket

Mme. Plantier
Photobucket

Aster 'Violet Stripe' - I had 3 seeds left, luckily they all grew.
Photobucket

Bad photo but Celestial has gone freakin nuts this year. It was so beautiful.
Photobucket

Penstemons 'Dwarf Navigator' look nice the first year but increasingly untidy in subsequent years because they keep their stems from year to year.
Photobucket

o

Your yard is looking amazing! And I love Mystic Smile, it's sooo pretty! And thanks, now I can't quit salivating over Rio Samba! I wish I had more room here for roses. I think I might have to get rid of the pink noid rose and get something that appeals to me more.
Btw, the goutweed and peony picture looks like the perfect flower arrangement. I really like goutweed in the right place, but it's got such a bad boy reputation.:P

That's interesting about the Penstemons 'Dwarf Navigator' keeping it's stems...do they only bloom on the old "wood" and not send up new ones?

o

Thanks Laurie. :0) Rio Samba is a gooder so far, it came through the winter nicely. The colour changes so much it's a fascinating rose to see.

It's hard to describe about the penstemons. They have sort of a gnarly thick "trunk" that lies prostrate, and the leaves and flowers grow up from it. The trunk persists through the winter and gets longer each year, so it looks sort of naked after a few years. I think I have a photo of the old ones at home, I'll look later. Anyway it's worth collecting seed and replanting every so often.

o

Clematis 'Durandi' is now climbing through my lilac bush:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Might be 'Russian House':

Malva:

Heliopsis:

Stella D'Oro:

Hawkeye Belle:

Tiny Bee:

Coppertine Ninebark:

Henry Kelsey:

Peony Primavere:

Delicata:

The Fairy:

Centre Glow Ninebark:

Clematis Multiblue:

o

Gill, that sounds really cool. Not your typical perennial by any means. A pic would be great.

Oh Marcia, your Hawkeye Belle IS doing wonderfully! Look at all those buds! You'll have blooms all summer.:) And the clematis are starting...just beautiful.

o

All the roses are really putting on a show this year!

o

Does The Fairy die back for you much Marcia?

o
RE: The fairy

I just got it this year, Gil. It's zone 4 or 5, i think, so i plan to give it some extra protection this winter. It will get plenty of snowcover where it is, unless we don't get any! It's only a few feet from the edge of the driveway, so will have snow plowed on to it.

(It really bugs me that they don't let you have two follow-ups to a message close together in time.)

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 15:12

Wow you girls are way ahead of me with your roses and lilies etc. I am still taking close up shots of the roses because there isnt enough open blooms on them to take whole rose bush pictures.
Polareis
Photobucket
self seeded foxgloves
Photobucket
lupines that are self seeded
Photobucket
cup and saucer that came from a packet of canterbury bell seeds
Photobucket
a self sown delph seedling
Photobucket
raised vege beds
Photobucket
One of the little flowerbeds that is filling in nicely
Photobucket
I redid my pond. I took out the bathtub, dug it deeper and wider and put in a pond liner. Now I am happy with it.
Photobucket
Jean

o

Very pretty, Jean! I like how that flower bed has so many colours in it, and i love the lupines! The pink ones are so nice and dark! My red ones didn't come back this year, unless they're the dark purply blue ones that are in with the yellow ones.

o

Polareis is so pretty Jean! And your pond is really filling in too. Any fish in there? Your veggie garden is looking really good...now I have to have a salad for supper!;)

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 16:26

Another noid peony opened today. It is a surprise. I got it from a friend but never seen it bloom at her place. The bud was dark red so I was expecting a red bloom.It is smaller then Bowl of Beauty and the stamenoides (sp) are pink instead of creamy coloured.It is probably a common peony since the people who had the place before her were not gardeners and bought it locally or was given a divison from someone else.
Photobucket
Gleaming Yellow siberian iris
Photobucket
No fish in the pond Laurie, our cats would spend all their time there fishing..lol
Jean

o

Ah, teasing cats with fish can be fun too! Ours loves watching the fish in the aquarium and is occupied for hours.Your noid peony is definitely a keeper Jean! Nice rich colour on it.

Daylily 'Forbidden Desires' had it's maiden bloom today.
Forbidden Desires

It's hard to tell from the picture, but there's a really nice gold dusting to the edges...lovin' it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here