Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

Clematis 2007

Laurie_z3_MB
16 years ago

As I was walking around the garden this morning, I noticed that there were a few clematis blooming with lots more buds to come, so I figured a separate clematis thread was in order.

Inspiration was looking lovely this morning. For only being in it's second year, it's doing really well.

{{gwi:698817}}

Madam Julia Correvan sure doesn't seem to have the vigour that some of my other clematis' have this year. She's only in her second year, so I'm hoping that she's rooting down to China.;^) My mom's had one for a few years and it's HUGE!

This is Blue Bell(open flowers) and Blue Boy growing together. Both are only in year 2, but somehow I think I may need to get some larger obelisks for these two.

I liked this shot of Blue Boy.

Now let's see some of your clem's blooming.:0)

Laurie

Comments (15)

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

My Jackmanii clematis is in full bloom now.

{{gwi:698903}}

Blue Boy I find hard to take a picture of since it is a downfacing clematis. Laurie, I like your close up of it. Here is mine from a distance...

Star of India was a new purchase from Home Depot last year. I bought a whole bunch of them at something like $3 each and hoped that they would make it through the winter. Well, out of 12 only I think that there was only 2 that didn't make it.

{{gwi:702414}}

Markhamii bloomed at the end of May.

And a different clematis. This was called clematis interfolia. Other years I didn't put the tomato cage around it and it flopped with the weight of the flowers. This year it didn't. This picture was taken on the 8th of June.

More to come later when they bloom....

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I only have 2 blooming right now. These two are on the west side of the house.
    Bluelight is my favorite of the two. The flower that is the lighter puff ball on the left is the one I was holding in my hand on an posting the other week.

Jackmanii is a monster again this year. I has doubled over it's 6' trellis again. Next year I want to weave and tie string to the roof and see how high it gets. It is just starting to put on a show, but I know the best is yet to come. Look at all of the buds yet.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

'Alba Luxurians' Viticella has a very unique flower to it.

Minuet has a ton of buds to go yet.

Close up.
    {{gwi:701067}}

Abundance isn't quite as big as last year for some reason. We've sure had more rain than last year, but maybe we haven't had as much heat...yet.

Close up of Abundance.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

My Jackmanii is in it's glory right now. I think it looks even better than my last year shots. This is only one plant that loves where it is. Other people in town have Jackmanii as well and theirs are looking super too.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Just lovely Clematis gals!

Holy cow Shelley, your Jack is really full, what did you do to it!

Clematis Jackmanii & tangutica

{{gwi:701054}}
    Clematis Mme. Julia Correvon Viticella Hybrid

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I do not do anything special to my Jackmanii Sharon. It's old already. So maybe that's it. I hope it lives forever.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

A few more different clematis.
    Sealand Gem- I love the color of this one.

Ernest Markham-the flowers are huge.

Betty Corning-new this spring and it's very first bloom

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Last fall I purchased 4 clematis at Home Depot on clearance at $1.50 each and planted them, 2 at each trellis. They were only labelled with their pruning group. All of them made it through and 2 of the 4 have bloomed this summer, one on each trellis. Now, to get them identified.....

This B Group clematis has a 4" flower and just opened its first flower 3 days ago. Love it!!

{{gwi:572285}}

This C group one has a 2 1/4" flower and its bud opens dark but then fades as the flower ages.

{{gwi:572286}}

{{gwi:572287}}

Both are blooming right now, any ideas on names??

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Brenda, your first one looks like Nelly Moser.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Shelley, if it is Nelly Moser that is great because years ago, I on purpose bought and planted it and it didn't make it. Of course I had purchased a little plant at Walmart in the boxes in spring and it was not an established plant by any means.

I will see if someone locally has Nellie Moser, or one of the nurseries so I can compare flowers side by side.

Laurie, you live close to me...do you have NM?

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

You can look here Brenda to compare.
    Maybe you can due a search on your other Clematis

Shelley

Here is a link that might be useful: Nelly Moser

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Boy, I'm a little late! No, sorry Brenda, I don't have Nelly Moser. I tend to shy away from the hybrids, as I haven't had much luck with them in the long term.

Well, I've finally been able to id this vine, with the help of Brenda, thanks. I thought this was a grape vine of some sort that was taking over my shrub bed. I've pulled and dug and round-uped it on quite a few occassions and the thing still wouldn't die. But, on the up-side, it did work wonderfully in the flower arrangements I made this summer. It lasted a long time as a cut flower.

Anyway, here's a pic of Prairie Traveller's Joy in bloom.....it's still going strong.....must of liked the round-up fertilizer!lol
    {{gwi:701972}}

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I like the flowers on your Travellers Joy Laurie. I'm going to have to be on the look out for that one next year.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shelley, I should warn you that those flowers are tiny, maybe 1/2" wide at the most. And it's a very vigorous vine, so make sure you've got something large you'd like to cover.;^)

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Well, I am going out now to plant my Prairie Traveler's Joy at the base of a poplar tree at the edge of the landscaping. It can climb all it wants into the tree. Thanks Laurie for the PTJ. I will post a picture next year (if it winters) as it climbs up.

I also just planted a Royal Velours viticella clematis at the base of one of my Hanson Bush Cherries. It can climb and flower in the shrub all it wants. Otherwise I just have a foliage shrub that has little black berries in the beginning of August. May as well try a clematis with it. It is suppose to bloom from June - Sept with dark reddish purple velvety flowers. Hope it blooms next summer!

My Markhamii is blooming again. It is the first one in the spring to bloom and so I didn't expect it to rebloom.

Jackmanii, Purpurea Elegans and the second picture I posted above of the unnamed clematis are all still blooming.

Brenda

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals