Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

Garden Pics- Week of July 15

Laurie_z3_MB
16 years ago

It's the middle of July already! Where did it go???

There seems to be lots of colour in my garden now, which is so nice to see!

I guess we haven't had the winds we normally do, because the heliopsis and delphiniums are still standing.:0)

Close up

I like the dainty flowers of Pearly Everlasting.

Salvia with allium 'Christophi' hiding behind.

Heliopsis 'Lorraine Sunshine'

I'm thinking this is a volunteer pumpkin?

{{gwi:701965}}

There's tons of flowers on the Sea Holly.

Verbascum is doing well.......I must remember to deadhead, I must remember to......I figure if I repeat it enough, maybe I'll actually remember to do it!lol

{{gwi:700573}}

Sedums

{{gwi:716482}}

Oh, btw, I looked through the gorgeous pictures in last week's thread, and I have to say that you did a fabulous job on that sundial Gillian! You certainly have a gift!

Laurie

Comments (12)

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Thanks Laurie :0) Your garden sure is looking nice & colourful, especially the sedums pic. That's not Voodoo by any chance is it? I have some babies from my WSing this year.

Here's my first Danish Flag Poppy

And this one has fringed petals - love it!!
    {{gwi:702017}}

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Love the poppy with the fringes!!

The pink blooming sedum, I believe is called 'Fuldeglut', and the one below it is 'Tricolor'. Does Voodoo have similar colouring?

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Four of five of my Calla's are blooming. I really cannot say that I am totally happy with them. Possibly it is because where I put them. I'll try to over winter them but will not put them in the center of mixed flower pots again. I'll put them in their own pots so you can notice their beauty.

Dark Eyes

Twilight

Bridal Bliss

Crystal Blush

Eucomis Bicolor aka Pineapple Lily

Where you able to over winter yours Laurie? Just wondering if I should try?

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shelley, if you're talking about the calla lilies, yes, they over-winter well. I've always just dug them out after a light frost and stored them like you would glads. I think this winter I may try Brenda's method and just bring in the whole pot and throw it in the potato bin and see how that works. I also did the same thing with eucomis for a few years, but I think mine from last year were too wet in the fall, because they rotted by spring. It's too bad, because I just loved the little guys.:(
    Btw, I love the colour and form of Bridal Bliss....so elegant!

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Laurie, I remembered last year that you had posted a picture of a Eucomis which I thought was stunning. I had to try one. This is the bulb that I was wondering if you could over winter. If you have in the past, then I'll try.
    Bridal Bliss is my favorite Calla too.

Shelley

• savona
    16 years ago

Laurie I am envious of your verbascum..Im thinking I need some now..lol
    Gill I have had some danish flags that are fringed too..I seen today I had a DF in one of the beds blooming but didnt get around to taking a picture
    Shelley what a beautiful assortment of callas you have. I have a couple of lavender gems in a pot in the pond but so far no blooms
    A fe3w of mine
    more dahlias
    {{gwi:628390}}
    {{gwi:628392}}
    some little blooms..fantasy petunias/leptosiphon/felicia
    {{gwi:699639}}
    rain daisies/tidy tips and bonanza bolero marigolds
    {{gwi:699986}}
    Nolana
    {{gwi:716521}}
    blue ribbon aster
    {{gwi:716525}}
    matsumoto red stripe aster
    {{gwi:716529}}
    mallow
    {{gwi:716533}}
    custard candy day lily
    {{gwi:716537}}
    William baffin rose
    {{gwi:716541}}
    pond flowerbed filling in finally
    {{gwi:716545}}
    windmill flowerbed coming into its own now
    {{gwi:716549}}
    salmon poppy
    {{gwi:716553}}
    red poppy
    {{gwi:716557}}
    savona

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

Incredible pics everyone! Laurie, I hear ya... where DID the time go? I keep feeling like I'm missing things in the gardens this year -- one minute I look and a plant is just starting to bud out and next thing it's alreaady gone to seed! And yup, this week things are getting a beating from night-time the rains... but the rain is a good thing so I won't complain!

Anyways here's a few new (or maybe just new pics?) of my garden this week:

Balloon Flower mingling with the Daisies.

African Daisies resting on the sidewalk.

Delphinium that I started from seed about 2-3 years ago and it's showing it's colours now! I love that shade of purpley-blue (hmmm... purpley? is that a word?? LOL)

I am loving this Sunflower! Not too sure which one it is b/c it came in a mixed seed package. Funny thing is none of my SF are any taller then maybe 2'-3' this year!? WHAT is going on?! LOL

OK, my DD freaked out at this and I'm NOT trying to freak anyone else out either... but I think he's kinda cute actually. I'm gonna go see if I can ID him now. Anyone know though?

Ang

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Ang, I think that spider is one of those crab-like "flower spiders". I'm not being silly, I think they're called flower spiders. I'll take a look for you. I like your African Daisies, the right one looks like it's trying to get back up. ;0)

Beautiful pics everyone... Savona, I really like that double red poppy. Shelley, I agree about the Bridal Bliss calla... it looks so perfect.

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

Ang, I'm glad you posted a pic of that spider. I have the same one on my goatsbeard. I was wondering what it was. It seems to have captured a different bug every time I look at it.

Shelley, I like the callas in the mixed containers. They look like bouquets. But I understand what you mean. I used to put my begonias in mixed containers, but they get so large and they don't really need anything else with them so I don't anymore.

All the flowers look so fresh and healthy, everyone!

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Ang I think it's a Misumena vatia, Goldenrod Crab Spider. I think it's very pretty!

Here is a link that might be useful: Crab Spiders

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Oh wow, that is a cool looking spider Ang!

You're right Laurie, this season is going way too fast, before you know it will be planting tulip bulbs!

I'm just loading my photos into my Photobuck album right now, but I'd like to show you this weirdo.....

Fasciation Veronica

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos for Week of July 15th

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Fantastic everyone!
    Sharon, I'm in love with your lilac peony poppy. What beautiful color and form :)

Ang, I agree with you...your white sunflower is lovely!

Stocks, million bells, nicotiana and Amber Kisss Violas tucked in the front...

Red Peony Poppy

Another white columbine..whiter than the earlier ones I posted, which is ironic since this was called 'Goldfinch'. Go figure!

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus