Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

July Roses 2007

Laurie_z3_MB
16 years ago

It's July already, and most of the roses are in full swing now. I'm just waiting waiting on a couple for their maiden bloom of the year.

'Love' decided to come out full force on Canada Day.

{{gwi:695939}}

Morden Fireglow

Here's a full shot of Fireglow. It's probably doing the best ever this year.

Lambert Closse

{{gwi:695937}}

Morden Sunrise

Laurie

Comments (42)

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Laurie, I love Lambert Closse! Reminds me of bubble gum...but much prettier! LOL.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Very beautiful roses Laurie! With all the rain, are you getting any black spot, rust on your roses? I sure I'm this year!

Champlain Explorer - Another one that I can't capture the proper red with my camera. But in person, its a real beauty.

F.J. Grootendorst Pink

Morden Blush

Prairie Youth Heritage

{{gwi:699893}}
    Roseraie De L'Hay Rugosa - this one has a fragrance that will knock your socks off. I love it!

Enjoy!
    Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharon, yeah there's some blackspot and rust on some of the roses here. Are you using anything to control it on your roses?

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Nice pictures girls.
    Sharon, you took the picture of Champlain in the morning right?
    I'm missing some of my first blooms now. My roses too are showing rust and BS. I haven't sprayed yet this year. But will be doing it shortly. I actually use 2 different products and alternate spraying. I can't remember off hand what they are but they work pretty well.

Shelley- who has her feet up and relaxing at the lake.

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Lucky you Shelley, you should have your feet in the lake though ;)
    You know me, I'm not an early bird, that photo was taken in the evening ;)

Yeah, itÂs the worst IÂve seen on my roses this year. Its seems to be only the Morden/ Parkland that are showing rust and blackspot and theyÂre supposed to be resistant. AH!

A few years ago I have use Safer's Defender Fungicide made with sulfur, I still have the bottle, I wonder if its any good still.... I have the day off tomorrow and wanted to spray but by the looks of it, were going into a heat wave and it says on my bottle not to spray when humidity and temperature is high. So I guess I will have to wait.
    Or will it be ok if I spray in the evening still?

Next spring I will have to move some of them out to that big field bed I made this year to give them better air circulation, its getting kind of crowed in the other rose garden.

So what products do you gals use?

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Quite a few years back, a lady who grew lots of roses, had given me a couple of ounces of some type of fungicide with instructions on how to spray it. She also gave a big warning to keep it away from the kids, dog, etc. so I think I only ever sprayed it once, and then thought, how good is this for insects, or any other living thing? So I haven't been using anything else since. I've picked off some of the affected leaves is all I've been doing. I've heard there's a recipe with baking soda in it for roses. Has anybody tried anything like that? I've also heard of people using Comet on irises to prevent them from molding in wet conditions. I wonder if this would do any harm to roses? Or any good, for that matter?

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

I made an mistake with my rose name above. It's not Prairie Youth, its called Prairie Joy.

I really hate to use any chemicals/ pesticides for that reason Laurie, I don't want to kill the good bugs.

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I got this pic of Folksinger this morning, and thought it was cool that I caught a bee in mid air flying to it.

And I got a nice pic of a more open Distant Drums.

And Henry Hudson has such classic elegance....I really love this one.
    {{gwi:698370}}

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous Laurie!

Rose Garden

William Booth Explorer

Morden Ruby Parkland

Morden Centennial Parkland

Enjoy!
    Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharon's Roses

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, just lovely Sharon! What have you got growing up your arbour? It looks healthy what ever it is!

The first flower on Hawkeye Belle opened today. The form is just perfection....I love it!

First flower on Iceberg.

Red Robusta has been blooming for awhile now, but I just can't capture the velvety, deep red colour of it. It's colour is very similar to Emily Carr.
    {{gwi:699885}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurie's Roses

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Here's Hansa - always a delight:

And this is Showbiz, one of the bodybag roses i got for $4.99 this spring. The other one, Oregold" is doing absolutely nothing.

I've shown pictures of this rose before. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't have very strong canes. It finds it difficult to hold up all its blooms!

(Eek! I took that picture before i weeded the bed!!)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Thanks Laurie, that's just an old regular Virginia Creeper growing on that arbour.
    My Hawkeye Belle should be blooming any day now soon. It sure is short though compared to last year.

{{gwi:698275}}
    Hope For Humanity Parkland

Sharon

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Sharon, your garden looks great! I have to get a Hope for Humanity. I admire it every year. Laurie, that's a perfect shot of HB. Is Henry Hudson always that clean white for you? It's beautiful, and I love its Rugosa leaves. Marcia, there's a house not far from mine that has a rose that looks just like your floppy one. They have it tied up with the most intricate tying system I have ever seen. LOL it looks good but it must be floppy too. Showbiz looks great, sometimes those bodybags will surprise you!

There's a great flush going on on Sexy Rexy right now.
    {{gwi:702483}}

• stanly
    16 years ago

beautiful pictures one and all, thanks for sharing. Marciaz3, I've got a Cuthbert Grant that looks just like the one you are saying won't hold itself up.

16 years ago

Stanly, i don't think that rose is Cuthbert Grant. Many years ago i bought it for my mother but they decided to move that summer and she gave it back to me. It had small flowers, red if i remember - i knew nothing about roses at the time and never thought it would survive here. The rose was probably not own-root, and this is what came back later in its lifetime. That was about 15 years ago, so it's hard to remember. Whatever it is, it's hardy and pretty - and i should try and tie it up too! (Another thing i'll tell myself to do next spring and then promptly forget about it!)

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

And some more.....

Intrigue, a HT from the Pot ghetto

Sunsprite

Konigin von Danemark, first Alba, I am sure smitten with this one. The scent is amazing.

Morden Sunrise

and one more batch to follow....

Cathy

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

One more batch for today...geez I gotta start downloading the camera more often and upload smaller groups.

Winnipeg Parks is just getting started but covered in buds.

Beauty Secret, another from the pot ghetto, this one is a mini and boy has it stolen my heart this year. It has been blooming in huge clusters for weeks now and is just starting to drop the first blooms that opened. They simply last for ages. The scent is so amazing that this little fellow got moved to right beside the front door.

Janna, another potted mini, just loaded with tiny pink blooms about the size of a loonie. Not much for scent but a cutie all the same.

Hope for Humanity, love the colour but it has been stingy so far and has been a BS & PM problem so far this season. We'll see if it improves with time.

and finally Rio Samba, DH and I were shopping one day and he picked up this rose and said "i like this one, we should get it" WELL he has never done that before so we brought her home. I think he picked a good one. She is the only HT we have (I mistakenly labeled Intrigue a HT in the last post it's actually a flori) and has been suprisingly low maintenance. She is bloody huge now and covered in buds.

that's it for now, the rain has finally stopped and the sun is out so i'm off to play in the dirt.

cathy

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gillian, so far, about all 10 blooms that I've had on Henry have been very white like the picture. It's cool how the flower buds are pink first though. It's only in it's first year, but I'm growing to like it more and more every day.

Cathy, that Rio Samba is to die for! I love the colouring on that one!

Very nice pics everybody!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Scentimental has opened up. It's doing pretty well considering I was sure it was dead this spring because it took forever to sprout up.
    {{gwi:702561}}

And Golden Unicorn is finally looking good and living up to my expectations.:0)

Full bush shot.

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Cathy, great bunch of roses you have there! I loooove Rio Samba, it looks like a tropical fruit smoothie (to a pregnant woman everything looks like food).

Laurie, that's the Golden Unicorn I liked last year! Scentimental looks awesome. Double Delight did that to me one year, I thought it was dead but it caught up and bloomed beautifully.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Loving all the pic's everyone. Cathy it is nice to see another rose grower on the forum.
    Sharon, the products that I use to spray my roses are Funginex and Defender.
    Marcia, I am almost certain that your rose is Adelaide Hoodless. This rose has week stems and the leaves and flower form looks right. Here is a shot of one of mine.
    Adelaide Hoodless bush

and flower

I have a few pictures to show. Some of my Bucks.
    Prairie Star. Still my favorite rose.

Country Dancer. This one's flower is nice and full.

Folksinger

Carefree Beauty. I love the eyelashes on this beauty.

Golden Unicorn

I also have a few Bailey's roses. I'm hoping to add some more of these next year.

Yellow Submarine. This is an awesome rose.

Sunrise Sunset. It is very hard to capture the colors.

Little Mischief. New this year. The flowers are only about an inch big. The plant itself is only about 18" tall.

That is all for today.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I really like how the edges fade on Yellow Submarine, Shelley. Are any of the Bailey's roses scented?

Bonica has finally started. Here's a nice cluster of them.

It has to have at least 100 buds to go on it yet. Once Bonica starts, it just doesn't stop until fr**t.

Here's what's happening to Iceberg.

I found a red beetle on the plant this morning. Is that what caused the holes in the flowers?

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Hawkeye Belle Buck

Laurie, that looks like rose weevil holes. I have them too, they seem to like white roses.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Weevils (Curculios)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yup, it was a rose weevil all right. Time to get out a jar of soapy water and go hunting, I guess.

Beautiful picture of HB, Sharon. It's such a photogenic rose!

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Yes Laurie some of the Baileys roses do smell. Yellow Submarine is quite strong. While Sunrise Sunset has a mild fragrance.

Prairie Joy is blooming it's heart out now.

If I was to recommend a rose to someone Prairie Joy would be one of them. Perfect bush form, flowers that stay cupped to the end and a mild fragrance.

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

A few more blooms.
    Abraham Darby

America

Kaleidoscope, a bit faded out.

Topaz Jewel

Alexander Mackenzie

Shelley

16 years ago

Shelley, i think i mentioned that i bought Topaz Jewel this spring. It never grew. :( And seeing yours makes me feel really disappointed. There'll be an email going to Dominion Seed House. It was the only place i saw it this year or i wouldn't have ordered it from them. Big sigh.

Anyway, here's Show Biz again, with more blooms on the way:

And here is Champlain. I didn't realize he'd have those long stems. Nice!

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

The Hunter has finally settled in and is doing great this year. The flowers are so heavy.

The Fairy. This one has tiny little 1 inch blooms. A new one for me.

Morden Fireglow is finally taking off this year.

Shelley

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Very nice Marcia & Shelley! I had one rose from Pickerings that never grew too - the mini Rollercoaster. I think it got too wet when it was first planted.

Shelley I can't remember if I asked you this before, but besides Abe Darby do you have any other Austins? I like Abe! I always want to try some but I'm scared they won't do well for some reason.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Gillian, I haven't tried any other Austins yet. I wanted to see if this one made it's first winter.(Which it did) It is bigger than last year, but not huge by any means yet. So I can't say how well of a performer it is going to be.

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Look at the color on this one. I wish that this color would stay. It is almost lilac. Can you guess the rose?

Earth Song is finally starting to bloom. A new one this spring with an awesome scent.

Morden Belle

Shelley

The first rose is Theresa Bugnet.

• saskadaisy
    16 years ago

Everyone's roses are absolutely gorgeous!!

Shelley, I love your Morden Fireglow. That one was among the first roses I tried to grow, but it didn't make it through the winter. It seemed to be rotted in the spring. Maybe I'll try again - it's so gorgeous!

I thought I'd share a picture of John Davis on the trellis, cozying up with Johnson's Blue geranium. The geranium also 'climbs' up through Blanc de Coubert.

{{gwi:716756}}

Peggy

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Beautiful pics everyone.

Shelley - I'm lovin that yellow submarine, looks like another one snuck on the list for next year.

Here are 3 of the austins, still waiting on The Mayflower to make an appearance.

Abe Darby

">

Tradescant

">

Winchester Cathedral

">

and not an austin but cute as can be here is The Fairy

">

more to follow

cathy

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

This is Meidland Turbo, it is new this year and was purchased on a whim. I saw it from a distance and had never seen such a thick beast of a rose still in a pot and that early in the spring. I just had to drag him home and see what he became. Although I'm not overly impressed with it "up close" as the blooms are not spectacular. From a distance, as a landscape shrub he is impressive. The blooms last a long time and the colour is strong enough you will notice him from quite a distance.

Here is a pic of the bloom and the shrub.

">

shrub

and a few more:

Alex McKenzie

Morden Blush

Cathy

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

and just a few more....

one more of Beauty Secret, a very impressive performance and still going strong.

Morden Centennial

Martin Frobisher

Morden Ruby

that's it for tonight, hopefully some of the bare roots that went in this spring will bloom in the next week or so. Lots of buds everywhere so I am looking forward to seeing their first blooms.

Cathy

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

My Bucks are doing so well now. They must be loving the heat.

Earth Song. Probably one of my favorite pinks of the Bucks that I have. As the flower gets older it turns a pink/mauve.
    The flowers do not blow open totally. Plus they are quite big.

Golden Unicorn

Prairie Star

Folksinger
    {{gwi:699594}}

Honeysweet is settling in and blooming again. Lovely.

{{gwi:698363}}

After moving Hawkeye Belle this spring it sulked for a bit. But it finally is starting to bloom.

Distant Drums was a little slow too. The bush is still quite small and not that agressive, but the color is nicer this year.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Distant Drums is so beautiful, that one is for sure on my wish list for next year!

16 years ago

I sure am drooling too!

Here's Champlain. He really has been a pretty rose, and i love his long stems.

Here's Miss Sunrise, Jr. She's still a baby but she gave me a couple of blooms this week:

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

A couple more Bucks.
    Aunt Honey

Serendipity

And a Rugosa Frau Dagmar Hastrup

Shelley

• sharons2
    16 years ago

Shelley,

How would you compare Earth Song and Aunt Honey?

Color, scent, size, vigor? It looks like you can't compare hardiness that well yet, since Earth Song is new this year. Do you have to winter protect Aunt Honey?

Thanks,
    Sharon

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I like Earth Song a little better. The flowers are bigger and fade to a mauve/pink. It is a bit more aggressive as well. They both smell heavenly. I wouldn't be with out either one though.
    I haven't done any winter protecting in the past. Mother nature does it for me.

Shelley