Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sierra_z2b

Poppy thread 2006

sierra_z2b
17 years ago

For enablers...heehee Thought a poppy thread would be interesting...to see how many different poppies we all have. Here's a start.

Some oriental poppys started from seed a few years ago and still going strong....

{{gwi:717315}}

{{gwi:717316}}

{{gwi:717317}}

Sierra

Comments (27)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Those are just stunning pictures Sierra! In the first one, it looks like it has false eyelashes on the left hand side!lol Such rich colours on all of them too.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Excellent creativity as usual Sierra!

My Danish are just starting to bloom, however itÂs too windy to take a still picture today. LOL I'll get one soon ;)

Sharon

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Excellent creativity - I was trying to think of a way to sum that up. LOL. Very nice!

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A couple more oriental poppies.

Light pink just starting to open.
    {{gwi:717319}}

Light pink fully open.
    {{gwi:717321}}

Salmon
    {{gwi:717323}}

Laurie, My poppies have false eyelashes. LOL

Sharon, can't wait to see your danish poppies...I don't think I have any of them.

Gil, :O Did you plant any poppies? My pathetic phlox is blooming.......I certainly didn't do that dance right. I have 3 colours that survived. :-(

Sierra

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Papaver somniferum var. laciniatum 'Danish Flag' Poppy

I couldnÂt get a good shot of my huge orange Orientals, either it was raining or it was so blistering windy hot that the blooms didnÂt last very long. Next year ;)

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Great, now I think I need to get some oriental and Danish Flag poppies..........thanks guys!lol

Here's my only poppy to date. I got this one at a plant exchange, so if anyone can help me out with a name, please let me know.
    {{gwi:700142}}

Laurie

PS Sierra, I love those false eyelashes, they're so flirty!lol

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Very pretty Laurie, looks like Papaver somniferum Peony Poppies to me, let's do a trade later on....your white for my danish. heee heeee heee, geez, I'm already planning for seed trades and the season is not even close to being over ;)

Sharon

• debbiecz3
    17 years ago

Wow, those danish flag poppies are fantastic! I've never seen those before. Will have to keep my eyes open for those beauties! Debbie.

• durtcom
    17 years ago

Sharon you are right about the oriental poppy blooms - there seems to be a very small window of time where they look good. I had my first blooms this year from last year's winter sowing and I must have just missed them at their peak or they were looking tatty from wind, rain or sun.

Did you winter sow and plant those Danish Flag or are they self-seeding?

I have this volunteer peony poppy:

Susan

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Gotta love poppies! 8^)

Here's the one's I have growing this year:

Not sure of the name but they are approx. 12" tall.

Another colour of danish flag poppy.

Shirley Poppies.

And the ever-present (around my gardens anyways!) Iceland Poppies.

Ang

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Sharon, that definitely sounds like a plan. Poppy seed trading it is ;^)

Very nice poppies too, Susan and Ang!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Hmmm, now i have to remember where i planted those Danish Flags! So far i only have a few poppies blooming, and nothing too spectacular. The best is yet to come, if those Danish Flags bloom!

• sierra_z2b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

These are great poppies everyone. I really love the purple volunteer peony poppy. Mix that white one in with the purple and I think that would make quite a display. Why do the danish flag poppies remind me of clowns? Dunno.

Here are a few of the iceland poppies that seem to bloom non stop all spring and summer and even into the fall. I just let them self seed, so there are some interesting colours sometimes. I also added two more packs of seeds to the newer beds this year where there needs to be some bright colours added.

Light orangy-yellow.
    {{gwi:717347}}

This one is white, except the outside veining at the top of the petals is orange.
    {{gwi:717350}}

Bright orange.
    {{gwi:717353}}

Again bright orange with a wiggly stem. :-)
    {{gwi:717356}}

White.
    {{gwi:717358}}

Sierra

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Everyone's Poopies are so beautiful, here are a couple more...

Papaver somniferum 'Red Peony' Poppy

Papaver somniferum 'Pink Peony' Poppy

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Papaver commutatum 'Lady Bird' Poppy

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Papaver somniferum 'Venus' Poppy

More Papaver commutatum 'Lady Bird' aka 'Flanders Field' Poppy.

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Wow, those Lady Bird poppies are so striking! It's not often that you see true black in a flower.

And Venus just looks funky. I love it!

I wasn't a huge poppy fan before, but you guys are converting me!lol

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Wow that Lady Bird poppy is gorgeous!

I found another one growing in my garden last night. I think it came in a Annual Flower Mix I sprinkled there a few weeks ago.

Ang

• Konrad___far_north
    17 years ago

I can't open sierras pics.
    All very nice!....I love poppies, these are mine.
    Konrad

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Great pics Konrad! That last one with the bee in mid air is amazing. Sierra rotates the pics in her Photobucket account because she has a lot of them - so they are probably gone now.

• savona
    17 years ago

One of my favorite flowers
    red and white
    {{gwi:717382}}
    salmon peony
    {{gwi:717384}}
    Black peony
    {{gwi:717385}}
    angel's choir
    {{gwi:717386}}
    purple single
    {{gwi:717387}}
    savona

• flowerbrackob
    17 years ago

Am having bad luck in my small little village and local town trying to obtain Iceland Poppies of quality. Z4 here; and they should survive in addition, I would protect them with a layer of pine needles which works on all other of the perennials in my haven. Is there a source anyone out there please? Jaemy

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Hi Jaemy, JL Hudson sells them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Papaver nudicaule

• dstucki85
    16 years ago

This is strange...grow oriental poppies and have never had a problem, until today when I walked out and noticed half of my plant had turned really 'limp', somewhat yellow, and wilted like crazy, including the stems/buds. Can someone help diagnose what this may be? Wish I could post a pic...Thanks so much...

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Are you getting lots of rain this spring? They do need good drainage.

• gardenweaver
    16 years ago

I hope you experts see this! I planted a gazillion poppy seeds in a large teardrop shaped garden last year. This year I have a quarter of a gazillion blooming. Silly me, I dont know which are A's and which are P's. Husband wanted to grass seed this area, and I would dig the P's..........what should I do?

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

I would dig up the Papaver orientale Oriental Poppies only (you'll be able to distinguish them from the others since they're the most striking of the perennial poppies, google for photos) and collect seed from all the others since all of them are all so easy to direct sow.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Papaver orientale