Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

Yippee!! Daylily Seedling Bloom!!

Laurie_z3_MB
15 years ago

I actually missed the first two of my seedlings bloom as I was away for a few days....yes, I know, I didn't plan that very well, did I?lol But today a seedling of 'Prairie Blossom' has bloomed.

It's a larger flower than its parent, at 5" across, where Prairie Blossom is only about 3". Here's a pic of Prairie Blossom.

The colour seems a little more on the purple side than the parent, but all in all, I think it's a very nice flower for its first year. Yes, I'm a proud momma.:)

Comments (16)

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

Very pretty Laurie.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Congratulations Laurie, you must be a proud momma ;)

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Sharon and Shelley. It's been really exciting waiting for these babies to bloom, and there'll be a few more to come, so I hope people won't get bored with me posting all of by "baby" pictures!lol

Another seedling opened today of Prairie Blossom. Same seed pod as the first picture, but very, very different. I'm suspecting that Ice Carnival, a white one, may have been the father, as that was the year that when ever an Ice Carnival flower was open I pollinated every other bloom in the yard with it.

Sharon, I know you've got daylily seedlings too, do any of them have scapes?

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Two seedlings from 'Open Hearth' opened today.

Seedling OH #1

seedling OH #2.....at least the grasshopper likes it!lol

• northspruce
    15 years ago

Those are all very pretty! I see the grasshopper ate some already. Elizabeth ate a whole bloom of Gentle Shepherd yesterday... my mom was aghast but daylilies are fully edible and actually quite tasty.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't say that I've tried tasting a daylily....maybe Elizabeth's on to something? Maybe that's what I'll do with the seedlings that I don't like.;0)

• northspruce
    15 years ago

Seriously Laurie, try a petal sometime - they taste like sweet lettuce. Some people on the DLs forum discuss the merits of different varieties for eating but I have only tried the one because I have a lot of it. Plus the pale yellow just looks more appetizing than some of the bright colours. hee hee.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, you got me curious and I just went out and had a petal of Double Cutie, which is a pale yellow, and you're right it certainly does have a sweet taste to it. It also has quite a sweet lingering aftertaste as well. I'm with you on not wanting a bright colour though. Some of those dark reds and purples have the dye seeping out of the mushy mess that is left the next day, and that certainly isn't very appealing to me....yuck!

I don't think I'll disclose to my boys that daylilies taste good though.....I can just imagine what horrors I might have to deal with!lol

• northspruce
    15 years ago

I wonder if we could come up with some recipe that involves unsuccesful daylily crosses and toaster shakings...

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

I like Seedling OH #1.

My first seedling bloomed today for me, however the bloom is not quite open. If I wake up early, maybe I can get a better photo in the morning. Or perhaps the other blooms will be better. (I find that the first blooms are not always up to standard anyways ')

{{gwi:717521}}
    #11 Mixed Diploids - seed from Heather, thank you!
    I do like the lime green throat in this one.

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

#11-1 Mixed Diploids - talk about total different looking from yesterday, this is the same flower from the one I posted yesterday. Maybe because it was +30C today.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's great that you've got some seedlings blooming too, Sharon.....I thought I heard some whooping and hollering coming from the west?!lol

Wow, what a big change in that seedling. I really like the second picture....looks like a keeper to me!

I had a third seedling from Open Hearth open yesterday, and it's different from the other two.

OH #3

It's so cool to see how different some of these seedlings are. Especially since they were from the same seed pod.

"some recipe that involves unsuccesful daylily crosses and toaster shakings..."

Gillian, we'll call it the "spent my last dollar on daylilies stew" ;0)

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

It is exciting Laurie! OH#3 is sooo cool too!

#7-1 (Pink Windmill x Snake In The Grass Boo)

#2-1 (Carmine Ibis x Lola Branham)

#5-1 (Indian Giver x Apple Swirl)

#5-2 (Indian Giver x Apple Swirl)

I'm hoping more will bloom, we had such a good rain and now lot's of sun for the weekend.

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    15 years ago

I'm going to have to start dabbling next year.

You girls have some lovely blooms happening.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think #2-1 and #5-2 are my favourites Sharon. They've all got potential though, and you never know how much they might change for next year too.

I had a couple more seedlings bloom yesterday.
    Here's Open Hearth seedling #5.

And the first and only, seedling to bloom this year of Jersey Spider. I'm thinking it was crossed with either Open Hearth or Red Ribbons which are in the same bed.

I've got quite a few seed pods forming on plants this year. There's even a seedpod on Forestlake Raggamuffin and I used it's pollen on a couple of other plants and they seem to have taken as well. Let's hope for a long fall!

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

I'm bumping this thread up because I'm so exciting what's to come. You're right Laurie about how they might change as they mature.

What is your Forestlake Raggamuffin planted near by?

What a difference in your siblings!

I forgot about this one.

#3-1 (CHICAGO APACHE X SPIRITUAL CORRIDOR)

Sharon