nman_gw

Garden Pics- Week of July 30

nman
17 years ago

Cucurbita maxima (Atlantic Giant Pumpkin):

Comments (19)

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

Looks like that pumpkin is starting to grow nicely. I grew them one year when I lived on my farm before I moved to town and had one that reached 150 lbs. Here are some more pics from my garden this week:

{{gwi:717763}}
    Veronica 'Red Fox'

{{gwi:717765}}
    Nemesia 'Carnival mix'

{{gwi:717767}}
    Shasta Daisy

{{gwi:717769}}
    Bi-colored Monkshood

{{gwi:717771}}
    Nicotiana 'Domino Mix'

{{gwi:717773}}
    Canna 'Florence Vaughan'

{{gwi:717775}}
    A visitor on one of my 'Diamond Jubilee' marigolds. It is called 'Graphium androcles'

More next week.

Cheers Al

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Nman, I see your pumpkin has switched beer brands LOL. Al, great looking garden! Those nemesia are awesome colours. And Florence Vaughan - wow!

I don't have any pics for now since I'm busy trying to get my house ready to show - shouldn't even be here! eeep!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

No pumpkins for me this year - forgot all about them!

Al, love your pics. Coincidentally, here is the same greenish nicotiana in my garden - different, isn't it? I'm saving seeds of this one for sure!

Nicotiana 'Perfume':

My tall red hollyhock, down to its last couple of blooms:

Morning glories growing out of snail-shaped planters, around a wagon wheel and up the hummingbird feeder pole:

Morning glories growing up a piece of driftwood:

Pink phlox:

Echinacea purpurea:

Echinacea 'Big Sky Sunrise':

Rudbeckia still going strong:

My garden buddy relaxing on the patio with me:

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

A few from my place.

{{gwi:717789}}
    Malva. I got the seed from a friend quite a few years ago, so I don't know which one it is exactly. It is a real weed. I didn't plant any in the last 2 years. I just move around what comes up on it's own.

{{gwi:717792}}
    Blue light clematis . This is the same flower bud that I posted a couple weeks ago. Buy do the flowers last long.

{{gwi:717795}}
    Another Clematis -Sealand Gem. I bought it from Dominion House and in their picture it looked dusty pink.

{{gwi:717797}}
    Some kind of coneflower that I started several years ago.
    Last year there was no signs of any of them. This year this one showed up.

{{gwi:717799}}
    Monkshood. I got this from my dad's garden. It is bluer than my Aconitum Napellus.

{{gwi:717802}}
    Liatris. I wish these came in more colours.

{{gwi:717805}}
    A trailing lavender verbena. I'm definately going to save see from this one.
    Shelley

• verenap
    17 years ago

Great pictures everyone!!
    Al, I love the color of your veronica...how tall does it get?? And I love the butterfly. It's very delicate looking!!

Marcia - I'm such a redneck! I was looking at your pictures (beautiful, BTW) and the first thing that popped into my mind was "Hey...that's a nice whitetail shed!" (For all of you who didn't notice...it's below the MG on driftwood.) LOL!! Nice to know that I'm not the only one with horny flowerbeds!

Verena

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Not a whole lot new going on in my garden this week but there are a few:

A self-seeded marigold that's prettier then the original plants I had last year!

A Velvet Queen sunflower from collected seed! I happy that it came true this year anyways!

The seedheads from the Nigella Hispanica sure are interesting! I love it!

The N. hispanica got rained down this weekend and fell into my zinnias... still looks pretty though, I think!

Ang

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

Verena, the Veronica gets about 12 to 18 inches high, although I find with this and another Veronica the I have, the stalks are a bit weak and they lay down a bit. They do not stand a full height like the older varieties.

I'm glad you like the butterfly. I am making a bunch for this falls craft sales. The only problem is that my wife saw them and is laying claim to the first bunch that I make.

Cheers Al

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Al I like the butterfly too! Is it treated in some way to be left outside? A few of them in different sizes would be so nice on the house wall or a fence :0)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

LOL Verena! That was dh's idea of a joke and it just stayed there. The other half is somewhere around, dragged off by the dogs.

Al, i meant to say that i love the butterfly too. Starting a mail order service any time soon? :)

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

I've got to try verbena next year. Lovely plant, Shelley.

{{gwi:717816}}

This is Echinacea 'Bright Star'.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Everything is gorgeous! I love that Clematis Sealand Gem Shelley!!!!!!!!

Heres a few taken today in my garden, enjoy!

Echinacea purpurea Purple Coneflower

{{gwi:697623}}
    Ligularia dentata ÂBritt-Marie Crawford flowers

{{gwi:697457}}
    Monarda didyma ÂMarshallÂs DelightÂ

SALVIA coccinea, the Hummingbirds go nuts over this plant.

{{gwi:696576}}
    IPOMOEA purpurea Grandpa Ott's Morning Glory

Aconitum napellus Monkshood

{{gwi:703271}}
    Veronicastrum sibiricum

{{gwi:540714}}
    Echinops ritro Globe Thistle

Amaranthus caudatus 'Velvet Curtains' & Zinnia elegans ÂMagellan CoralÂ

Ricinus communis 'Zanzibariensis' Castor Bean

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Week of July 30th

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

Sharon, that should read: "IPOMOEA purpurea Grandpa Ott's Morning GLOWY". LOL

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

Gill, the butterfly as you see it is untreated as I am still making them. The pattern that I am making them from has 8 different butterflies on it. It would not be hard to enlarge them using a scanner for different sizes and then use a finish on them that can be used outdoors.
    Marcia, never thought of a mail order!!!! Hmmmm something to think about.

Cheers Al

• vrie
    17 years ago

OK time for me to join in! If I look at my crowds, I won't add as much to the wish list you guys keep sending me!

I have butterflies too! Mine don't hold still quite so well though!

She has friends-- after last weeks aphid fest, these gals love my flowers! She's saving some chamomile for me!

Someone else is stalking my flowers.

New things blooming-
    Velvet queen- but it opened away from the sun and doesn't turn!

CA poppy direct sown

Arctic Fire finally showed- it stays in bloom a while, but fades alot- pretty fading

Hosta plans on it- first time they've gotten close in the two years I've been here

I haven't been weeding much, I had to find SOMETHING to do with all the brandywine- then of course I had to extend it to cover the other plants!

And finally, you even farther northerners sent me a pretty evening- courtesy of fires. This was only 8 pm Mountain.

• garden_chicken
    17 years ago

Looks like everyone has plenty blooming right now! Lovely pictures. Mine would all be repeats of Sharon's pictures - we seem to have a lot of the same plants! (Great minds???)

Sorry for this picture, up until about an hour ago I had blooms, now I have skeletons...

{{gwi:717842}}

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Oh dear GC, did you get HAIL!!! I am so sorry :(

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Oh no, that's really lousy GC.

Al, those butterflies are really beautiful!

Ang

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

What size of hail makes that much damage? Sure is disappointing isn't it? Did you have cucumbers, squash or tomatoes that got hit badly also?

Brenda

• garden_chicken
    17 years ago

Couldn't tell the actual size of the hail, it was very soft and smashed on impact - sort of like little s*** balls. :)
    The ground didn't actually turn white which was weird, it looked more like really wet s*** had fallen. Actually, the rhubarb looks the worst, my uni-dimensional garden fared pretty well considering, and judging by the leaves stripped from the elms I think they took the brunt of it. I'll miss them big elms when we move... :(

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz