Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Delphiniums

Crazy_Gardener
17 years ago

I have to show you this exclusive Delphinium compared to the rest that is growing around it. The one in the center is huge and very thick, the stock is like a tree, strong to hold up to the wind. IÂll be for sure saving seed from that one.

{{gwi:691131}}

Here are more of my Delphs, enjoy ;)

From the inside, you sure see a good show with all the Hummers.

Let's see your Delphs too ;)

Happy Gardening!

Sharon

Comments (19)

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Sharon, this might sound nuts but I think that Delph is fasciated. It sure is beautiful though! I love them all, I miss mine so much after murdering them last year.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Gorgeous, Sharon! Only my white delphs are blooming now.

What's with the fasciation this year? Weird!

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah I know Marcia, must be a fascinated year! Do you think its because of the global warming. LOL

Oh shuck Gil, I was hoping it wasnÂt but your probably right, so most likely it will come out normal next year. Oh well, I enjoy it while I can.

Thanks gals!
    Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Here's my delphiniums after last night's storm.

WAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

• savona
    17 years ago

Laurie I am waaaaing for you too :-(..I feel like shouldn't post some of my pictures after that..but life goes on..lol..
    Astolat delphs
    {{gwi:717973}}
    My favorite blue
    {{gwi:717976}}
    another blue
    {{gwi:717979}}
    another 2 blues
    {{gwi:717981}}
    the blues could go on for several pictures..I did mixed pacific giants from seed 3 years ago and was blessed with every shade of blue with different coloured bee combos that I could want..lol..oh oh...forgot to size a picture of my white Galahad ones..this year I did King Arthur and Percival ones...savona

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laurie, thats too bad, I have a patch that's out in the open which is flat as pancakes too. But the ones close to the house are still doing great.

Savona, love those Astolat's!!!

Sharon

• north53 Z2b MB
    17 years ago

Here's a rush pic of my favorite delph. The mosquitoes were eating me alive. It's the only one left from a mixed pkg I started years ago.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

North53, that looks a lot like Shauna's "Blue Jay" Delph from the weekly thread. Love the bright bright blue with the white bee! It's awesome.

• north53 Z2b MB
    17 years ago

Hey, Northspruce, I just went back and looked and you're right it does look similar. All I know is that this particular plant was far superior to the rest in the mix - larger, more vigorous and healthy and attractive. I also like the tight flower clusters.

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

I really like your Astolat delphiniums Savona. I'm going to have to find some for myself.

Syreeta

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Wonderful delphs everyone! Guess I'll just have to enjoy everyone else's this year :(

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just love this colour, its a blend of lilac/powder blue, very soft/romantic looking.

Sharon

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Here are just a few of my delphs.

{{gwi:717988}}

{{gwi:717989}}

{{gwi:717990}}

{{gwi:717991}}

Sierra

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Great pictures everyone. Sierra and Sharon just loving the last ones you posted.

Syreeta

• venuscat
    17 years ago

Fantastic pictures! But I need your expertise on mine. I am having problems with mildew and catepillars eating them. What can I do to eradicate these pests and mildew? Any suggestions will be welcome.

Cheers.

Venuscat

• laurie_edm
    17 years ago

Venus, Lois Hole's book says:
    for mildew: water around the base of the plants to keep foliage dry & don't crowd the plants so air will circulate.

delphinium worm - late spring leaves will look like they are tied together - remove worms, cut off affected parts, or use insecticide.

I haven't had these problems yet, but have this nearly memorized as I am trying to get a large delph. bed happening.

• savona
    17 years ago

Sharon I really like the lilac/powder blue blend of delph you have. The delphs I started from seed this year are starting to bloom..a few white Galahad ones bloomed in June which seems really fast..I am still waiting for the percival ones to open up but the King Arthurs are now getting with it
    King Arthur and white Galahad beside it
    {{gwi:717992}}
    King Arthur flower
    {{gwi:717993}}
    savona

• savona
    17 years ago

Finally the Percival delphs are starting to bloom 8-)..savona
    {{gwi:717994}}

• jaclynm210
    9 years ago

Wow! Those are tall! Do you fertilize or is it just the specific variety?