Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xtreme_gardener

Garden Pics-Week of August 1, 2010

xtreme_gardener
13 years ago

Lots of my favorites are blooming now :')

Lady's Mantle and Lemon Pixie Asiatic Lily

{{gwi:718110}}

Species Martagon

{{gwi:718112}}

Melissa Jaimie Lily

{{gwi:718114}}

Globeflower (can't remember the variety offhand...)

{{gwi:718116}}

Lemon Pixie A. Lily

{{gwi:718118}}

Unknown Lily but loved that I finally found something to match the orangey red Maltese cross!

{{gwi:718120}}

Silken Touch Daylily...first bloom for this one!

{{gwi:718122}}

Columbine...love the longs legs on it :')

{{gwi:718124}}

Roman Chamomile and Jump ups...happy faces

{{gwi:718127}}

Peony Poppy that self seeds in the veggie garden

{{gwi:718130}}

Winter sown Pink Lupin

{{gwi:718133}}

Black Cumin blossoms were a surprise...so wierd. I didn't realize they are a Nigella.

{{gwi:718136}}

{{gwi:718139}}

Border Patrol A. Lily and columbine

{{gwi:718142}}

Achilea 'the pearl'

{{gwi:718145}}

Morden Blush finally blooming...tough year for the roses around here

Starchild A. Lily

Winter sown Yello Lupin

Comments (12)

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Looking good! I do like that Nigella, I used to have a single pink that looked similar but it seems to have died out in favour of the regular blue.

Most of mine are daylilies this week - here are a few.

New this year: Elizabeth's Magic
    Very nice but I hope it's taller next year...

Cloverdale is underrated IMO

Wedding Band is a gooder.

My tallest light pink, Ruth Webster is very tall

I love Jerusalem and his friend Bright Star together

First time blooming for Mauna Loa. I wasn't sure about buying an orange daylily but it's nice in person, an orange/yellow blend like lava.

Not a flower, but this thundercloud popped up over us, didn't rain, and blew off to produce a tornado in Oakbank.

I never liked Winnipeg Parks in other people's gardens but now that I have it it's a really reliable, good rose.

• xtreme_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice, Gil...your blooms look really healthy! and the yellow combo is very striking.
    I'm not impressed with my winnipeg parks, it just struggles along and throws out a couple blooms. It might do better if I paid it more attention though.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Lilies and daylilies here too!

Long Island:

The name for this one is escaping me ('Evina', maybe):

Le Reve:

American Journey:

Medail:

Hemerocallis 'Chocolatelady' (named for a late friend who used that for her online name):

Little Business:

Destined to See:

Can't remember this one:

Pirate Patch (i think):

Silent Sentry:

Brookswood Lee Causey:

Echinacea 'Sunset' - new this year:

Heliopsis:

Some very red hollyhocks:

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Wow Marcia, Destined to See is a stunner!

How long have you had your O/OT lilies? I have a few stragglers that have lasted for years, but most died out.

13 years ago

I can never remember which type of lily is which. :) I know the Asiatics but when it comes to OTs, Aurelians, etc., i forget which is which. I'm presuming you mean American Journey? I've had it for 4 or 5 years now. I had some Orienpets in the same bed for several years but they're gone this year.

Funny about Destined to See - I'm really iffy on it. I like it a bit better this year with its multiple blooms, but the ruffles to me look brownish and therefore dying. It bugs me!

• northspruce
    13 years ago

I'm pretty sure all the "Americans" are OT. I also meant Le Reve which looks Oriental. Everything but Asiatics and LAs are hit & miss for me. Sometimes they will take a year off with no foliage or anything, and bloom again the next year. I also have a few that make a little stringy stalk and no flowers, year in & year out. I often wonder if there's something I could do for them.

13 years ago

This is the third summer for Le Reve, i believe. I have a bunch of others blooming in different places but haven't gotten around to taking pics yet - some are LAs. I mostly do the deals from the Lily Nook, and then lose the tags! :>

• xtreme_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nice blooms, Marcia :') My fave is Medail...do you remember what type it is or where you got it?

Gil, I've had a couple lilies skip a year on me. When I planted pink tiger lilies they never cam up at all and I thought the bulbs had been bad but the nice lady at botanus said to give it a year and sure enough it came up and bloomed the next year. Giraffe A.L. put on a huge display its first year then skipped last year but came back up this year. Weird. Different years and both in different sun exposures so I'm not sure what I could have done differently.

13 years ago

Medail is an Asiatic that i've had for years. It would have come from either Veseys or Dominion Seed House.

I have Giraffe too and it has done really well since it was planted two years ago.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Some latecomer daylilies:

Lilting Belle

I am really kind of "meh" about Little Showoff

Siloam David Kirchhoff

Fuchsia Dream I think is my favourite daylily. Sometimes.

• debbiecz3
    13 years ago

Love that Fuchsia Dream but there all lovely!

• north53 Z2b MB
    13 years ago

Some really beautiful shots in this series! I've been flipping back and forth.
    Extreme, I love the second picture of the martagon, I think, lovely. Good combination with the maltese cross too.
    Northspruce, Lots of great daylilies, but I think my faves are Ruth Webster & Lilting Belle.
    Marcia, You have beautiful lilies, and I really like Pirate Patch.
    Great photography folks!