Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

Garden Pics - week of July 6

Laurie_z3_MB
15 years ago

This is a cooler week, so far, so it's been great for getting things done outside, but there's a few new things blooming now.

Foxglove 'Grandiflora' is putting on a nice show.

I picked up Echinacea 'Coconut Lime' this year and I'm loving it. Just hope it makes it through the winter.

Waterlily 'Attraction' has had at least one flower every day for about the last 10 days.

Filipendula

Baptisia

Comments (11)

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

They all look so healthy, Laurie :) Baptisia is new to me...I like the foliage.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

I've never been able to grow Baptisia - tried a couple of times, but it didn't take. Sigh... However, i do have a lot of other things blooming and looking nice right about now, so i won't complain (too loudly!).

Here's Allium christophii again. I really like it.

Aruncus:

Dianthus 'Arctic Fire' is like a weed in some spots!

Some lupines that got beaten down by rain, and huge hollyhocks completely hiding two clematis and the rose 'Delicata', which were planted last year when the hollyhocks were in their short year. Obviously wasn't thinking, was i? LOL Typical me!

This hosta is either 'August Moon' or 'Golden Tiara' - the tag is long gone:

One of my 'O Canada' containers:

A brilliant red dianthus (can't recall the name right now):

Veronica austriaca:

A purple callibroacha that looks especially nice at the moment:

• Crazy_Gardener
    15 years ago

Love those Foxgloves Laurie!

Marcia, I beleive you have Persicaria polymorpha White Fleece Flower there instead of Aruncus. Is that the one I sent you a few years ago?

{{gwi:718266}}
    OPUNTIA polyacantha Cacti - finally I have blooms, hopefully the other species that I bought from Gardens North will bloom this year too.

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: White Fleece Flower

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Marcia, the hosta you posted is not August Moon. August Moon has a solid green-yellow leaf...

http://www.hostalibrary.org/a/a.html

and Golden Tiara has a small oval shaped leaf and is a much smaller plant than the beautiful hosta you showed in your picture...

http://www.hostalibrary.org/g/g.html

Not sure which one it could be.

Brenda

15 years ago

Sharon, you're right, of course! No, it isn't the one you sent me - that's in another bed and i don't think it has bloomed yet, maybe too much in the shade. I bought both the Aruncus and the Persicaria last year but can never remember which is which! LOL

Brenda, i was going on memory of which hostas i've bought in the past, and if it's neither one of those - my mistake! How about Paul's Glory? Or Frances Williams? Those are two that i've had and have moved around the yard a few times. Whatever it is, it likes it where it is because it has grown a lot since it was transplanted to where it is.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The baptisia is finally looking like something this year because we cut down the honeysuckle shrub that was shading it. I guess baptisia really is a full sun perennial and won't do much in part shade.

Marcia, what ever your hosta's name is, it looks lovely with that yellow lamium surrounding it, and your O Canada container looks wonderful.

Thanks for that link, Sharon. I found a Persicaria at Lindenberg's this year and it's doing quite well. How quick of a grower is it? My prickly pear cactus is almost done blooming. It still amazes me at how beautiful the flowers can be on such a dangerous looking plant!lol

15 years ago

Laurie, that Persicaria was planted late last summer and it's about 3 feet tall now. I think it can go to about 5 feet - not sure, though.

Thanks for the hosta compliment! :)

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

That red dianthus looks like mine Marcia...does Scarlet Flame ring a bell. I'm not sure though.

Violas

Painted daisies and friends

Cranesbill and Columbine

Huge Oriental Poppy and garden hose :'(

White Lupin

I'm in love with 'Walker's Low' Catmint :)

Not so gold 'Goldfinch' columbine, but I like the white anyways.

Ladies Mantle...another favorite

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

Marcia, there are so many hostas out there that it is hard to tell from a picture for sure which is which. It is easier to rule out which one it is not.

My favorite hosta site to check on pictures of the plant and all the registration information and comments about each hosta is at

http://www.hostalibrary.org/index.html

But, no matter what the name of the hosta you posted a picture of, it looks great.

Brenda

• northspruce
    15 years ago

Marcia, Arctic Fire is pretty vigorous for me too! Toots, love that white columbine. Beautiful photos everyone!

15 years ago

I checked this evening, Toots - my dianthus is 'Telstar Scarlet'.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21