Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daylilies

Posted by laurie_z3_mb sw MB (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 20:02

How about a thread showcasing our favorite daylilies? It seems to be about mid season for blooming in my garden. Here's a few that have just bloomed in the last week or so.

'Forest Lake Raggamuffin' just seems to get better each year, with bigger flowers and more teeth.
FLR

'Francis of Assisi'
Francis of Assisi

'Margo Reed Indeed'
Margo Reed Indeed

'Night Beacon'
Night Beacon

'Hillbilly Heart' is another "wow"!
Hillbilly Heart

And this is a seedling from 'Forest Lake Raggamuffin' x 'Meet Joe Black' that I'm very impressed with for it's very first flower.
FLR x Meet Joe Black

I know there are daylily growers out there, please show your beauties!!

Laurie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daylilies

Sigh.... So pretty! :)

Here's Peach Stella, one of my favourites:
Peach Stella

June Bug:
June Bug

Trying to get more, but Photobucket isn't cooperating...

o

Maybe i can add more now.

This is Destined to See. Every year i look at it and think, nope, i really don't care for it. This year is no excepttion!
Destined to See

Brookswood Lee Causey - big and bright!
Brookswood Lee Causey

o

Wow, Laurie and Marcia, some beauties for sure.
I find I'm liking daylilies more and more. I've noticed that the wind doesn't knock them down. That's a bonus.
I agree that Hillbilly Heart is a definite WOW, and Brookswood Lee Causey would light up any garden!
Thanks for sharing!

o

Marcia, I really like Destined to See! I like the edges and watermarks. For me the more colours in a daylily the more I like it, it seems. And Brookswood Lee Causey certainly has a nice cheery face!

Yes, daylilies can certainly take the wind. Unlike lilies that are very top heavy. A storm last week completely flattened a huge clump of lilies in the backyard.:(

o

I'd give Destined to See away to a good home but there's some really bad invasives stuff in that area of the garden and i wouldn't want to pass it on. :(

o

You can wash away all the soil and even take off most of the roots. Just leave the bulbous part.

Near as I can tell, daylilies are indestructible.

o

Looking good both of you! Laurie, I've seen Forest Lake Ragamuffin as the parent of a lot of modern DLs so it must be good for breeding as well as in its own right.

Some of mine didn't bloom this year. Might have been too hot and dry since June. Here are some of my favourites

Wedding Band
Photobucket

Fuchsia Dream
Photobucket

Lilting Belle doesn't photograph well but it's a very cool daylily in person. I like its lavender-grey colour.
Photobucket

o

Wow, is that 5 flowers on Fuchsia Dream? After the move here, the most blooms I've had on one plant together has been two. I'm looking forward to when the clumps are mature and there will be multiple blooms at the same time.

I can see the appeal to Lilting Belle, I like the spidery, unusual forms because they are so different. But yeah, I do agree that sometimes they are more difficult to photograph it seems.

o

Yeah, Fuchsia Dream just went nuts this year. It had a bit shorter scapes than normal though, it's usually quite tall but this year it was just acceptably tall.

o

It's taken a few tries to get a good picture of Skinwalker just because the flower's so big. It's so alien looking...I love it!;)
Skinwalker

o

Here's Chocolatelady:
Hemerocallis 'Chocolatelady'

Country Melody (not a great pic of it):
Country Melody

I'll need to go out and take more pictures tomorrow as there are a lot more blooming now.

o

One of my favourites..........Firestorm
Photobucket

o

Oooo, a poly Firestorm....love the form of it!

o

A couple more:

Darius
Hemerocallis 'Darius'

Country Melody:
Hemerocallis 'Country Melody'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here