Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

Daylilies August 2007

northspruce
16 years ago

Starting a new thread as the old one was getting slow to load...

I think Strutter's Ball is my all-round favourite daylily. It's very reliable and looks great in the garden. And it was free!

{{gwi:702478}}

First ever bloom on Siloam Ethel Smith, after 2 years of increasing steadily. Many more to come as you can see.

and my unknown red which I am almost certain is Crimson Pirate.

Comments (47)

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

More daylilies opened up here yesterday. Enjoy...

Grandma Jean

{{gwi:698047}}

Watermelon Man, a short daylily with a very very dark flower.

Prague Spring is probably the greenest daylily I have.

{{gwi:702061}}

Siloam Merle Kent

Big Smile

Bandit Man

Custard Candy

{{gwi:650824}}

Jungle Princess

Eenie Fanfare

Children's Festival

Radiation Biohazard. I think this one will be one of my favorites. It is 2 years old and now has 3 fans. Only one fan has a scape this year. The scape has 29 buds on it!! Wow!!! This is the first flower but I will post later with a better flower when another one opens.

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Lovely pictures ladies! That Radiation Biohazard is a real eye catcher Brenda!

Ice Carnival had it's first bloom of the season.
    {{gwi:698812}}

And a few more first time bloomers in my yard.

Eternity's Shadow tried to poly I think, as 2 of the petals fused together. Hopefully the next flower will bloom true to form.

Zen Meditation
    {{gwi:703248}}

And a very spidery looking 'Kindly Light'

Laurie

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

It was a good day for new daylilies here. I see quite a few in the postings that I would like. All of the pic's are so lovely.

Wineberry Candy

Charles Johnston

Last year Brenda figured that this might be Autumn Red, but I am leaning towards Sammy Russell.

Cherry Cheeks- I really like this ones colors.

Little Grapette

Childrens Festival

Here is another picture of my Fugly(On the right) and my "not El Desperado"(on the left). I'm pretty sure they are both two different types of Fulva.

Shelley

• garden_chicken
    16 years ago

Lovely photos ladies! Sorry I don't have any daylilies to share, but HEY! What's with 'AUGUST' 2007???? :)

• garden_chicken
    16 years ago

Aaack? I just noticed 'Lilies August 2007'.... did I sleep through something?

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

LOL, GC, those threads had so many pictures in them already, that it was taking a long time to load the pictures, so we decided that August would come a little early.;^) Maybe we should have just labelled this one, part 2 or something, but no you didn't sleep through anything.:)

Eternity's Shadow had a better flower today.

And I also noticed that it had a gold metallic edge to it. In the sun it was quite noticeable. Here's a close up, hope you can see it.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That edge is sooo pretty Laurie!

I have a couple more today...

Always Afternoon

Cloverdale

Ruth Webster - I got this from Montfort. Their pic and the only other one I could find on the net were WAY darker than this, I mean dark magenta. The form and ruffling are exactly right so I don't think it's mislabeled, but what the heck I like this shell pink better anyway.
    {{gwi:699868}}

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I really like the texture, or quilting on Ruth Webster, Gillian. It's very unusual looking......I love it!

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Oh Laurie I like Eternity's Shadow.
    And Gillian, I'm going to have to go shopping at Monfort next year. You got some really nice ones from them.
    My daylilies today are a little beaten up. We had a little thunderstorm and wind. But here are the new ones today non the less.

Pink Super Spider

Cool It

Pardon Me

Shelley

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

You all have so many beautiful daylilies! I'm drooooooooooling again! :)

Here's another picture of Silent Sentry. It looks like a completely different daylily to me this year.
    {{gwi:698338}}

Joan Senior, new this year from Hortico.
    {{gwi:698337}}

Stella D'Oro, looking a little beat up after the rain last week:

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Brenda, I really like your Jungle Princess & Radiation Biohazard!

Shelley, Charles Johnston is handsome I can see the shimmer, must be really gorgeous in person.

Laurie, I love, love, love Eternity's Shadow, you sure captured the edging in your photo nicely!

Gil, Ruth Webster is so pretty, love the soft pink, I bet she would look good with pink baby's breath.

{{gwi:701041}}
    MOONLIT MASQUERADE

BARBARA MITCHELL

DRAGON SO (photo taken in the evening)

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Strawberry Candy is alot pinker this year.

Real Wind

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Ok, Startle finally had a flower that opened up. The first bud opened about a quarter of the way and that was it. I'm thinking it must have been due to the heat. But at least this one opened up fully. It's a bit splotchy, but not bad shape wise.

This is the FFO on Jan's Twister. It's not quite at it's full width of 12" yet, this one was only about 9", but I can sure see the potential for some wow factor here in the future.;^)
    {{gwi:698960}}

And here's Lake Norman Spider making his debute this year.

Laurie

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

SILOAM URY WINNIFORD

{{gwi:695852}}
    LADY INARA

MATT - blooming its head off, I can't keep count how many blooms I got from this one.....thanks so much Laurie!

CHICAGO RUBY - this one is a true red, again, can't capture the color red in my camera, but in person it is huge and gorgeous!

{{gwi:699579}}
    FOOLED ME

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Can't forget JANICE BROWN!

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Sharon, I'm glad Matt is pumping out the flowers for you. I told him he'd better, or else!lol

I love the colouring on Lady Inara. I wouldn't have thought yellow and pink would go well together, but she does it wonderfully!

A couple more opened today.

Autumn Red polyed.

And this is the first flower ever on Siloam Dream Baby.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Laurie now that you have posted a picture of Autumn Red, I really think that I have Sammy Russell. The stamens on my daylily are yellow while on yours they are dark.

Yesterday Sabine Baur opened up for me.

And today Trahlyta opened. I love this one.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, SB and Trahlyta are so pretty. I really like how the stamen on Trahlyta are purple too.
    Actually, I just ID'd Autumn Red this morning. Tinkers had a picture that was just identical to what mine looked liked, even with the curled petals that some of them have. But I did notice how the 3 pictures that they did have were noticeably different too. It's so hard to id a daylily when there are tens of thousands to choose from.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Here's Quest of Dreams FFO. The flower is huge....I really like it!
    {{gwi:699676}}

A very pretty noid, that will probably always be a noid.:(
    {{gwi:701977}}

A much darker coloured Eternity's Shadow, than the first picture I posted. The weather has cooled off considerably, so I'm not sure why the drastic change in it.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

It's amazing how some of these daylilies get so much better with time. This is the third flower on 'No Regrets' and I didn't notice on the first two, or maybe it wasn't there, but now there's a gold metallic edge on it. It was very sparkly in the sunlight, and of course, the camera has a hard time catching that, but I think you can see a few sparkles anyway.

In the close up, it looks like it's dripping gold. This went all the way around each of the three petals.

The ruffles, or this may be getting close to the chicken fat, are getting much more pronounced than the first flower too. I just can't imagine this one getting any better.:^)

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I love all of yours Laurie. Especially your noid. How big are the flowers.
    Another favorite-Indian Giver.

Wineberry Candy is showing off. I can't wait until my daylilies clump up more.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, you're Indian Giver is just WOW!!!!

And I love how you colour coordinated Wineberry Candy with your dianthus. So pretty!

That pink noid is about 5" wide. I've had it for years. I got it from McFayden's catalogue I believe, but that was back in the time when I didn't keep a record of all plant names. Whatever the name, it's very fertile anyway, as I've got a number of seedlings growing from it.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Laurie,If you have extra I might have to get a piece of your noid next spring.

Shelley

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, I'm sure that can be arranged.;^)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Two more new ones today, and they both have metallic edges. Although not as pronounced as on No Regrets, but they may get better with time.

Fire and Fog

Malaysian Monarch with one somewhat wonky petal. Oh well, for it's first bloom, it's not too bad.

16 years ago

Peach Stella opened the other day:

This one, i think, is Children's Festival. I remember planting that and Strawberry Candy and one of them didn't survive. It looks more like the Children's Festivals in this thread.
    {{gwi:701251}}

It looks like some of my daylilies may not bloom this year. Destined to See had a couple of scapes but they've gone all dry and brown. Same with Snowy Apparition. Not sure why. I was looking forward to seeing if Destined to See looked better to me this year now that i moved it. Maybe it was afraid! :>

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Marcia, I had a few scapes dry up on me too. Maybe the heat was too much? I'm not sure what else it could be.

I had a few more different ones open up in the past couple of days.

Here's Xia Xiang.

Too Marvelous
    {{gwi:702739}}

Another Noid.

And my Siloam Ethel Smith did decide to throw up a scape after all, but after seeing the clump that Gillian has of it, I'm really hoping mine will look the same by next year.:)

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

A new one, but I'm sure mislabled. It is supposed to be Newberry Festival. Everything from color to scape height is way off.

Does anyone have Newberry Festival so I could compare pictures?

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Shelly, here is my NF from last year (first year bloom), it hasn't bloomed yet this year.

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Very nice DL's gals!

{{gwi:702543}}
    SILOAM SHOW GIRL

SILOAM RAINBOW MAGIC

CHRISTMAS IS - nice big yellow eye.

ORCHID CORSAGE

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: More Photos

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

This should be the last of my first blooms on the daylilies.

Anthony Mullins a freebie for me this year.

Dan Mahoney

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

I lied, one more. I bought this one last year locally. Not my favorite.
    Eenie Allegro

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

My Newberry Festival is Orchid Corsage. I had also ordered this one as well. The tags must have been mixed up by me or on the other end.
    Another picture of it today.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Sharon and Shelley,

Where did you get Orchid Corsage? I love it!! Want to trade in a year or two???

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Brenda, I got mine from Floral and Hardy.
    You can get a piece of mine when she is big enough Brenda.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

I bought Orchid Corsage from F&H last year. Sure Brenda, I should have a fan to trade next spring.

{{gwi:695854}}
    LAKE NORMAN SPIDER

INDIAN GIVER

{{gwi:702542}}
    SUMMER WINE

SLAPSTICK

{{gwi:701042}}
    MOROCCO RED

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Shelley, Laurie and I had quite the time in trying to identify the daylilies we each had in our yards.

I bought Sammy Russell from the Conservatory sale in the fall back in 2000ish and Autumn Red from the Greenspot about 2002ish. Well, because my yard is so large and not realizing that my two daylilies were identical until this summer when each of them bloomed.... that is why I identified yours as Autumn Red last year when you were looking for a name for yours. It looked identical to my 'Autumn Red' which I now know is mislabelled and should be Sammy Russell.

Laurie had a daylily that was labelled Autumn Red but was the same height as mine. But, not until I stopped in at her place on the garden tour, brought my daylily and compared it to hers did we notice the difference.

So, here is a comparison (which we could not find anywhere on the internet), of both daylilies.

The right one is Sammy Russell (mine) and the left one is Autumn Red (Laurie's)...

Notice how much larger Sammy Russell is than Autumn Red. But also notice that AR seems to be redder than SR and that there is a large yellow center and a yellow line down each petal of the AR.

It was also very frustrating to try to identify these daylilies on the 'net because there are mislabelled pictures of both that look identical to the other.

So, Shelley, you have the same daylily as I do, Sammy Russell.

Brenda

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Mystery solved, Brenda. Thank you.

Shelley

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Love all the daylilies you guys have been posting. My wish list is getting longer and longer.

Now its time for more daylilies from my yard. I am away behind on posting my daylilies. So, here it goes...

Frans Hals

{{gwi:699612}}

Siloam Plum Tree

{{gwi:702453}}

Siloam Tom Howard

{{gwi:702458}}

Celestial City

{{gwi:650804}}

Highland Lord

{{gwi:698350}}

Siloam Bye Lo

{{gwi:702438}}

Always Afternoon

Beautiful Edgings

Blueberry Candy

Siloam French Doll

{{gwi:702443}}

More to come later....

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

It's sad to see the daylily season winding down.:( There's still a few buds left to open yet, so hopefully there'll be a couple yet into September.

I didn't post a picture of the first bloom of Parade of Peacocks because it was a bit deformed, so here's the second flower which looks much better.
    {{gwi:701974}}

And here's a pic of my very first proliferation. It's on Siloam Dream Baby.
    {{gwi:701976}}

Here's a link to my whole daylily album.

Here is a link that might be useful: Laurie's Daylilies

• valleyrimgirl
    16 years ago

Isn't it nice to see that little proliferation on the daylily, Laurie?

More daylilies...

Hall's Pink. I have 5 clumps of this one. Think it is time next summer to maybe get rid of at least 3 of them and plant other daylilies there.

{{gwi:698348}}

Summer Wine...a favorite.

{{gwi:702470}}

Obsidian...so dark!

Prairie Blue Eyes ... very blue

Super Purple...another dark one.

Maria Tillsbury...from a friend.

{{gwi:701115}}

Pardon Me

Romantic Rose

Potentate

Raspberry Pixie

Brenda

16 years ago

Country Melody opened on Monday:

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

After the heavy rain fall last night, this one surprised me today.

{{gwi:719305}}
    STRUTTER'S BALL

Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

{{gwi:699915}}
    RUFFLED APRICOT - blooming up a storm today!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of flowers on Ruffled Apricot, Sharon!

Prairie Blossom is sure a trooper, as it's sending up a rebloom scape.

Now, what are the odds that it'll actually get a chance to bloom before f****??

• sharons2
    15 years ago

Laurie, you have Xia Xiang. Would you call it a true pink daylily? I have Jolyene Nichole, which I love; but I had to kick her out of my front bed because she clashed with all my true pink and lavender flowers. Now she can look pink in a different side bed, instead.

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    15 years ago

Hi Sharon, sorry it took me so long to reply to you. I think the picture is pretty much true to colour on XX in real life. But of course, soil conditions and temperature can play a factor in daylily colours too. My soil is very alkaline, so that may make a difference in the "pinkiness" of XX.