Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardens: Week of July 11

Posted by serendipity_ont NWOnt 3-4 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 21:48

Thought I would start a new thread for this week.

Lilies (names unknown...!) are thriving.

Photobucket

Photobucket

One of last years acquisitions - Double Delight. I didn't think it had survived the winter but just when I was about to give up, it peeked its little head through! I love the colours.

Photobucket

Experimenting this year with potatoes in containers - well, actually buckets...unfortunately they seem to have gone to tops. A little too much fertilizer/compost....The plants are about 3 feet high so I suspect that there won't be much underground. Who knew - monster potatoes!

Photobucket

And, finally, our backyard oasis. Spend alot of time here! The deck (behind the creeper) is covered so we can enjoy rain, shine, night, day, even snow!

Photobucket

That's it for now.
Margaret

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardens: Week of July 11

Margaret,

I love the lilies. I think that they are Lollipop and Orange Pixie....mine are just finished here.

Yes, too much fertilizer and you will have lots and lots of top growth on potatoes. I know here, if there is too much manure in the soil we also get scabs on the potatoes....still edible but doesn't make the potatoes look very nice.

I agree with the covered deck and spending a lot of time out there. We have a large addition/sunroom we added to the house. Ours is also large enough to have our hot tub in it so that we can use it all year round. The additions sure add living space to your home!

Brenda

o
RE: Gardens: Week of July 11

Update on the container potatoes - the experiment was a success. Even though the plants did not ever bloom - there were an average of 10-12 potatoes in each container.
Plan to have even more next year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here