Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazy_gardener

Garden Pics - Week of August 13

Crazy_Gardener
17 years ago

Can you believe how fast this summer is passing us by!

HereÂs a few from my garden for this week, letÂs see whatÂs blooming in yours too!

Cosmos 'Cosmic Orange' Â My favourite Cosmos!

{{gwi:703392}}
Zinnia elegans ÂMagellan CoralÂ

{{gwi:697458}}
Monarda didyma ÂMarshallÂs Delight  the hummingbirds love this one.

{{gwi:697448}}
Melica ciliata

{{gwi:700186}}
Amaranthus caudatus 'Velvet Curtains'& Pennisetum setaceum Fountain Grass

The pathway is getting smaller and smaller each day ;)

Have a great week in your gardens everyone!

Sharon

Comments (10)

• durtcom
    17 years ago

Sharon you are so right about the summer flying by! I am admitting that I was a copy cat and thanking you for this Giant Evening Star (Mentzelia decapetala). I saw it (and had to look up the latin name) on your list of what you were ordering from JL Hudson. I winter sowed it in 2005 and last year I only got a tall spiney sort of prehistoric looking plant but no flowers last summer. It has just bloomed for the first time and it was worth the wait! The flowers are huge, fragrant and very exotic looking.

Susan

• savona
    17 years ago

Susan that is a beautiful flower! Sharon your garden is such an inspiration, I love the colours and textures along your pathway. Not too many new bloomers here this week..a few glads and I dont seem to be able to capture the little red maiden dianthus in a picture, but still trying..lol
    Blue Isle glad
    {{gwi:719873}}
    Pond area is filling in, it would look better but the dog has found the joys of a good soak in it...haahaha
    {{gwi:719874}}
    the flowerbeds are full to over brimming now
    {{gwi:719875}}
    savona

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Yes, summer has really gone by fast. I go back to work on Monday. Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! But i have to work to support my gardening habit. Sniffle.

Susan, that Evening Star is stunning! Are you saving seeds? Hint! :)

Here are a few things from my yard this week.

A pink Ball Aster:

These petunias are pretty - a lot nicer than my waves:

Asclepias 'Hello Yellow' - this is the plant that was stripped entirely by caterpillars. Still waiting for the butterflies, though!

Variegated heliopsis 'Lorraine Sunshine':

The tag says "Fleece Flower" (the latin is poly-something), and it's zone 6. Let's see how it does this winter.

Wild cucumbers on the wild cucumber vine:

(am i going to regret this?)

Sedum 'Frosty Morn':

I like this bed, so i keep taking pictures of it. :)

There's a frog in my pond! Let's hope he eats mosquito larvae as well as the mosquitoes themselves because the pump doesn't work so the water isn't moving and i'm sure the mosquitoes are laying eggs. Gotta get that pump fixed!

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

You guys are right,where did summer go!!!! Wasn't it just last week we were planting bedding plants LOL!!

Susan I love the 'Evening Star', very nice.

Here are my pics for this week

{{gwi:719887}}
    Canna 'Black Knight'

{{gwi:719888}}
    Yellow Potentilla

{{gwi:719889}}
    Portulaca

{{gwi:719890}}
    Zinnias 'Button Box Mix'

{{gwi:719891}}
    Black-Eyed-Susan Vine

{{gwi:719892}}
    Coral Bells 'Purple Palace'

{{gwi:719894}}
    Schizanthus

{{gwi:719896}}
    My neighbors loaded apple tree hanging over the fence into my yard

More next week

Cheers Al

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

WOW great blooms everyone.

Sharon I love that zinnia such a great colour!

Susan, WOW! Your 'Evening Star' is gorgeous!

Marcia, your 'Pink Ball Aster' is so pretty and that frog in the pond is just toooooo cute!

Al, Schizanthus is going on my wish list that's for sure! Very nice. Gotta love those branches loaded with apples too!

Here's what's new around our place...

Choice Mix Aster

Xeranthemum and Strawflowers growing together very nicely.

Dragonhead (thanks again Sharon!) is going wild now! I love it!

My favourite Sunflower this summer from a Mixed Pkg. I love how the petals are facing back on this one!

Hey look at that.... there really is a pepper starting to grow! I've left this in a container in the front flowerbeds all summer and amazingly it really is growing some fruit. I do think that the Heat Wave we had sure helped.

Ang

• vrie
    17 years ago

Looks like everyone has been busy lately! I know the feeling. I ran out last night to take a few pics to get on here this week! Some might be a bit blurry due to my bad timing!

Did someone say something about a path? What's a path? I think I need to redo this one next year! It's my new bed out front, mostly annuals (primarily calendula, bachelor buttons, cosmos, and marigold) this year, but the perennials should bloom next year, so it'll change.

And here's the back of that bed

Some things in there:

messed up sunflower

random zinnia- this one is very red

I'm not sure what this is sorry- seed mix ya know. It's the only one too darn it!

Flax in the blvd bed- mixed up in allysum

Various stuff from other beds

My rose is beginning to rebloom

Linaria is actually everywhere

Calendula is everywhere too, but i really like this one

My hosta is still trying to bloom

My delphs are still blooming, although the wind really knock them down!

And then the overgrown veggies- I expanded the garden this year but the tomatoes, zuchini, and cukes still take over!

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

Vrie...I think this is your mystery plant. Since it's a native flower, the seeds should bloom true, if you're able to collect some this fall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coreopsis lanceolata

• vrie
    17 years ago

cool. That's essentially what I was hoping for. My idea for that bed was to gradually change it over to more "local" plants and as such I put several seeds in there. The annuals came because the other half didn't want it to look "unfinished" for years-- he nearly died when I killed all the grass!

I do remember having that one in there now too in the seed mix from local nursery of fairly local wildflowers. That's what happens when I just toss seeds - um i mean direct sow lol

• venuscat
    17 years ago

Gorgeous flowers everyone!

susan, I love your giant evening star. May I know where did you buy the seeds?

Cheers,

venuscat

• durtcom
    17 years ago

venuscat - I purchased the seeds from J.L. Hudson (see link below).

Marcia - I am definitely going to try and save seeds. Even the seed pod is interesting on this plant - I hope there are lots of seeds in that little cone shaped thing...

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: J.L. Hudson Seeds

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner