Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sazzyrose

Garden Pics of August 6

sazzyrose
17 years ago

I thought that I would post some pictures of my veggie garden. I plant my rows far enough apart so I can get a large mulcher through earlier in the season. But with all of the rain, it has become a jungle out there.

{{gwi:720077}}

{{gwi:720080}}

{{gwi:720083}}

Now with all the green leaves, you would think that everything was not producing any vegtables. But ....

{{gwi:720086}}

My sub-artic tomatoes. These usually grow to 2-3" round. My tomatoe plants have fallen over because of the weight of the tomatoes.

{{gwi:720089}} peppers.

{{gwi:720092}}

The cucumbers are growing great. Pretty soon I will have to do pickles.

{{gwi:720095}}

My kolirabi have gotten as big as the coffee cans that I put around them. I'm leaving this split one to see how big they actually will get. I brought a couple this size in yesterday and they are not woody yet.

{{gwi:720098}}

My raspberries are huge this year as well. I've made a few batches of the raspberry liquer.

{{gwi:720101}}

Even some of my flowers are massive.This coneflower measures 7" across.

{{gwi:720104}}

I have never had a lotus vine that has bloomed for me before.

{{gwi:720107}}

Bicolor Monkshood

{{gwi:720110}}

My Bluelight clematis. It just keeps going.

{{gwi:720114}}

My hops doesn't look like it has been trimmed down over and over again. It will be loaded with hops soon.

Shelley

Comments (19)

• northspruce
    17 years ago

OMG Shelley, was there a fertilizer spill at your place? LOL You must have got a lot more rain than us this summer - things were pretty sad around here in July.

Luckily it has been raining pretty good for the past week. Here is a nice thunder cloud that went by the other evening:

Verbascum nigrum (thanks Sharon)
    {{gwi:703301}}

Hanging Begonia and New Guinea Impatiens

Nicotiana has gone bezerk this summer:
    {{gwi:700246}}

Shastas and Gaillardia 'Torchlight'. I like the Gaillardia because it has attractive seed heads.
    {{gwi:696955}}

And this was my quickie 'curb-appeal' landscaping I did because our house is going for sale on Wednesday. There was nothing at all here before, just thin grass. There is another group the same at the other front corner.

Both sides cost me a total of $200. I hope it's worth it!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Wow Shelley, you must need a machete to even get into your veggie garden! I have absolutely no problems walking down the paths in mine.
    We haven't had hardly any rain in the past month, or 5 weeks, just a few drops here and there. The sloughs are drying up really quickly around here, and we're kicking ourselves that we didn't get around to having a dugout put in yet......hopefully this fall.
    Gillian, your corner gardens look great, and I'm sure you'll get 10 times of your money back.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

WOW, Shelley your gardens look amazing -- so full and lush! Absolutely great!

Gil, your little curb-appeal-fix-up looks really nice. Incredible what a few rocks and some plants can do. Here's wishing you all the best with your sale/purchase!

There isn't much new around my yard this week... besides that hubby trimmed the hedges yesterday and I deadheaded/weeded/pulled out lots of stuff! My asters are just starting to bloom so hopefully next week there will be something to show!

Ang

• echoes_or
    17 years ago

I'm in a kinda red mood today evidently. Not agggggggressive just liking the red. LOL

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Shelley, i thought our vegetable garden was doing well this year! LOL Good luck getting through all that - i foresee a heck of a lot of canning and freezing in your future!

Here are some of my pictures. A couple were taken last week. Is that cheating" :)

A friend from Georgia sent me the seeds for these morning glories. I didn't think they'd bloom because the vines haven't been doing well at all. Aren't they different?

Sedum "Strawberries and Cream" - yum!

Here's the Danish Flag poppy blooming again:

Echinacea purpurea starting to bloom now:

Echinacea 'Big Sky Sunrise' has been blooming for weeks:

Four O'Clocks - but i think they're opening at 4 a.m. instead of 4 p.m.:

Variegated heliopsis 'Lorraine Sunshine':

Heuchera sanguineum has been blooming all summer:

Datura 'Ballerina Yellow' about to bloom:

This little piece of garden along the back of the house was just finished this spring:

Hosta 'Summer Music':

Pink phlox:

• alalbertaz2b
    17 years ago

Wow, Shelley you must have had a lot of heat to go with all that moisture to make things grow like that. Nice crop! Lovely flower pictures everyone as usual.

Here are a few from my yard this week.

{{gwi:720182}}
    Canna 'Snow Dragon'

{{gwi:720186}}
    Canna 'Pretoria' a.k.a. 'Bengal Tiger'

{{gwi:720190}}
    Canna 'Cleopatra'

{{gwi:720194}}
    Foxglove 'Foxy'

{{gwi:720198}}
    Mix of Johnny-Jump-Ups and mimulas that self seed on the north side of my house.

{{gwi:720201}}

{{gwi:720204}}
    Couple of pictures of Sweet Peas 'Streamers Mixed'

{{gwi:720207}}
    One of my gladiolas.

{{gwi:720210}}
    Phlox 'Twinkle mix'

{{gwi:720214}}
    Snapdragons

Hopefully more next week. New blooms are starting to slow up.

Cheers Al

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Al, I really like those sweetpeas and cannas........just gorgeous!

Marcia those morning glories are sooo cute! And the more I see of Echinacea 'Big Sky Sunrise', the more I like it better than the purple varieties.

I finally got out there and took a few pics. Whatever's being watered is doing ok, but a lot of plants are really suffering from lack of rain, BIG TIME!

The osteospermum seem to like all the heat. And they are MUCH more drought tolerant when planted in the garden rather than in pots............will have to make a mental note of that for next year ;^)
    {{gwi:701298}}

Portulaca also loves the heat.

Joe Pye Weed with milkweed 'Milkmaid' and German statice at the base.

I've been watering hydrangea 'Tardiva', so it's actually looking not too bad.
    {{gwi:697495}}

Laurie

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Hello, everyone. Been enjoying everyone's photos so much!
    Gil - love the thundercloud photo.
    Finally have pictures to post this week......

Lillies are blooming profusely - Lollipop

and ????

Sunflower (and friend).......

The view from our front courtyard now that the scarlet runner bean have filled in. Planted Alpina 'Willy' to cover the fence, but in the meantime this does quite nicely.

The photo doesn't do it justice, but driving home today from a weekend getaway, we saw this rainbow - double actually. I don't think I have ever seen a rainbow with such intense colours.

Margaret

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Oops,
    Posted a sunflower photo twice instead of the courtyard 'view'.
    Must have got a little too much sun this weekend....lol!
    Sorry,
    Margaret

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Very nice, Margaret! I've been wondering where you were. :) Love the rainbow pic - actually, the scraggly looking black spruces are what caught my eye because they remind me of home!

• venuscat
    17 years ago

Serendipity,

Marvellous oriental lilies pics. Love the rainbow as well.

• savona
    17 years ago

Wow hard to believe the summer has moved along so quickly this year..here I thought it would drag by waiting for grandchild #5 to make her grand entrance,but only 7 more days to due date
    The Flemish Antique poppies got pretty tall this year..about 4 and 1/2 feet..we think the tidal wave hanging baskets are going to touch the ground this yeat..the arbor is 8 feet and they are about 6 feet from where they mound up to the bottom of them
    {{gwi:720250}}
    Butterfly delph that made it through last winter
    {{gwi:720253}}
    Hunting song glad
    {{gwi:697549}}
    savona

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Margaret, that courtyard turned out really great! I remember its early days this spring.

Savona, wow, your yard is always so beautiful and groomed! I really like all the aged wood you have around... it ties in to the rural setting.

• savona
    17 years ago

Lol Gillian some days it isn't so well groomed but John Deere lawn tractor makes it a much easier job then the old push mower...lol...savona

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Thought I would add a couple more.

Clematis that came along with the house.....
    Had hoped that it would extend along the trellis above the garage door, but maybe not. Going to try and encourage it a little this weekend.

Â Â

With a few little tiny white flowers tucked in!

Â Â

Adelaide Hoodless is blooming again. I'm particularly pleased about this because something was munching on the leaves a month or two ago. Morden Snowbeauty is also blooming again and Golden Unicorn actually has a dozen or so new buds on it. Yay!

Â Â

Margaret

• durtcom
    17 years ago

I hope nobody minds if I cheat a bit and include pics from the past couple of weeks. I have been too busy to post and have been fighting with computer problems. A dead monitor replaced by a new fancy schmancy flat wide screen that didn't work on my tired old computer has meant downtime, repairs and endless upgrades...

Everyone's pictures are fantastic (I have been checking them out at work but don't tell the boss...) Here are some of mine.

My biggest thrill was the 'Dotcom' lily I have waited 2 years for. I ordered in fall '04 and it wasn't available so reordered last fall and here she is:

I think this unknown red lily wiht huge blooms was from a mixed bag:

My first ever tiger lily:

I love this shaggy mop top rudbeckia (Rudbeckia hirta 'Burpeei Double Gold') wintersown last year:

Cosmos 'Double Click':

My new favorite Dianthus 'Theif of Hearts':

Always a great show from Gloriosa Daisy:

Daylily 'Frans Hals' (thanks Doris!) and Mexican Hats (Ratibida columnaris):

White coneflowers:

Susan

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Well by the looks of it Susan, your garden hasn't missed a heart beat from that hail storm you got hit with last month....just gorgeous!

Here are a few of mine....

Rudbeckia amplexicaulis Clasping Coneflower

Echinops ritro Globe Thistle

This is Coreopsis tinctoria 'Dwarf Red', however, two orange/yellow dusted with gold flowers uniquely stuck out from the others, I wish there were more of those colours in that batch of seed.

{{gwi:700325}}
    Rudbeckia hirta ÂIndian SummerÂ

Rudbeckia hirta ÂMorenoÂ

{{gwi:703390}}
    Xeranthemum annuum

Sharon

• maggiemuffin360
    17 years ago

Sharon, I love the colours on those two Coreopsis!

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Thanks Margaret!

Some of you might remember that strange scary looking plant that I planted last year....well here it is again this year.
    Take notice of how big those thorns are? Be careful, don't touch!

SOLANUM atropurpureum

Sharon

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz