Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

What am I?

valleyrimgirl
17 years ago

This has come up next to my gooseberries.

It stands 5 1/2 feet tall and this is the flower...

{{gwi:720488}}

This is the top of the plant with the flower...

{{gwi:720490}}

This is the stalk...

{{gwi:720492}}

The leaves feel like velvet underneath and like sandpaper on top. I have been looking through weed identification sites and so far, nothing. What am I missing? I don't think it is a burdock because all pictures of burdock show purple flowers similar to a thistle and this has daisy like flowers.

Help! Do I cut it down or not?

Brenda

Comments (5)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Inula helenium Elecampane

I like it, there are other Inula species that might not look so weedy to you.

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Interesting...I looked up info on it.

Yes, that is what it is. And it is okay planted where it is, height wise. I do not remember planting it and I definitely did not plant it there 'cause it is immediately beside lovage (which is also a 6' - 7' plant).

It is a zone 5 plant...hummm. I am 2b.

It likes moisture. nope.

It says in one site that the spread of this perennial is 2 meters...oh boy! It came up last year, but I cut it down cause I thought it was a weed. Only a single stalk this year also.

One article in the net says....

The root contains inulin, otherwise known as diabetic sugar. The root is used as an expectorant, diuretic and diaphoretic. The fresh roots preserved with sugar, or made into a syrup, helps with cough, shortness of breath, and wheezing in the lungs. The powdered root taken with sugar is profitable for those who have their urine stopped, for stone in the kidneys or bladder, for the stopping of women's menstrual process. The roots can be candied, and are used to flavor other sweet dishes. The root is also cooked as a vegetable, and used in wines & liqueurs. A wash can be made of the roots & leaves to cleanse the skin and to treat blemishes.

Still don't remember planting it. But I guess I will leave it there and if I have hundreds of babies next year because of reseeding I guess the roundup will come out or there will be a lot of hand pulling of seedlings.

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Interesting plant. Does it have a common name too?

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Horseheal, Inula Helenium, Alant, Scabwort, Yellow Starwort, Helenium grandiflorum, Aster officinalis and Aster helenium are the common names according to one site on the internet.

I sure do not remember any plant, with any names like that or like the latin name, being brought here...so whether it was a seed in beside the lovage when I got the lovage I don't know.

I don't hear anyone else jumping in with 'I want it too!"
    I don't blame you...I am still debating on keeping or destroying.

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

"I don't hear anyone else jumping in with 'I want it too!"

Well, I wouldn't call it extremely beautiful........but it certainly would be a conversation piece!LOL

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio