Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

Daylily ID's Anyone?

Laurie_z3_MB
17 years ago

Since we have so many knowledgeable daylily people here, I thought I'd ask if anybody knew what these two might be. They were both gotten from gardening catalogues, so I'm thinking they must be fairly common ones. They are both fairly short, about 18" tall, with the scapes being a touch taller. The flowers are about 3.5" on the pinky one and about 4" to 4.5" on the peachy one.

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Laurie

Comments (11)

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Laurie, the first one is Destined to See.

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Brenda, that's probably it. I looked up Destined to See on Tinker's and the one photo does look like mine. The other two seem to have a bit of different colouring to them. What looks like peach on mine is more creamy/yellow and the purpley/fuschia eye on mine, has a more blue tinge on their pics. The colour differences could be due to soil conditions and/or camera variations.
    Anyway, it's really great to put a name on it because it's got a seed pod on it, and I think I'll try to see if it'll germinate.........providing it has time to ripen that is.

Any ideas on the second one?

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brenda, I should have asked if you have Destined to See and is it the same colours as mine?

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Yes, Laurie I have Destined to See. It is in the flowerbed with the white arbor. It has been blooming since July 13 and is still blooming.

{{gwi:720502}}

As you can see mine looks just like yours.

No ideas on the second daylily, sorry. What about posting that one on the Daylily group in Yahoo? You are a member, right?

Brenda

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yours has more of the purple edging(compared to the hint of an edge on mine) and the petals are more wavy than mine. I wonder if mine was a TC of Destined to See, because it's never produced flowers that are identical to yours. The blooms always seemed kind of wishy-washy to me.........it was never a favorite.
    Yes, I am a member on the Yahoo group as well. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to post a picture there, otherwise I may post it in the daylily forum.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Brenda, your 'Destined to See' looks a lot nicer than mine! Laurie's doesn't seem to be white like yours, though. It's more of a beige. Reminded me of the colour of my 'Moonlight Masquerade'.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Brenda, your DESTINED TO SEE is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Let's see if we can figure this out...

I take all my flower pictures with the foliage setting on my camera. The first one I showed of the Destined to See was taken at 6:22 pm.

This picture was taken at 8:25 am.

{{gwi:720503}}

I did not realize until I started to compare the pictures tonight that the morning pictures that I took of Destined To See had more yellow in them than the afternoon/evening pictures. All are taken in the shade I cast over the plant as I take the picture. So which one of mine is the true color? Both of these flowers are on the same plant. The first picture shown in the first posting I did was taken July 15 around suppertime. The picture shown above was taken July 31 first thing in the morning.

Laurie, what time of day did you take your picture? I wonder if that makes a difference. Also...did you cast a shadow over your flower and then take a picture? The sun will wash the color from the flower when you take the picture.

Do you want to try another picture and lets see what it looks like?

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Laurie, do you think your second photo might be South Seas?

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Brenda, i never realized that about the colour variation during the day. I went out just now and took this picture of 'Destined to See' and it's definitely got a more beige or yellowish cast to it.

(Still not as nice as yours, though!)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll have to go see if it's blooming and get a different picture of it. The one above was taken in the bright sun and in the afternoon. It's definitely a peach colour though and has never looked as good as yours Brenda.

Sharon I looked up South Seas, and didn't think it was quite the same flower shape, as the petals on mine seem to curve back more. It's funny, because I thought that if a few names were thrown out at me, that something would ring a bell because it's only been within the last 8 years that I picked up these two. I also thought that one of them was a Siloam, so I went through the siloam series at Tinker's(all 474 of them!), which only half had pictures, and came up with Siloam Angel Child. The height and flower size are also accurate, so maybe I may have a name for the pink one. The link is below, what do you all think?

Now I'm thinking that, it was probably through McFayden's or T&T catalogues that I got these DL's, and who knows if they were TC or not? Does anyone know how long the tissue culture process has been going on? Or possibly I was sent the wrong plant in the first place and that's why I'm having so much trouble IDing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Siloam Angel Child

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living