Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sazzyrose

Roses August 2007

sazzyrose
16 years ago

I have some new bloomers to post.

FJ Grootendorst. I moved it again this spring. This time all of the dirt came off and I got to see the roots. They are so twisted around itself that it will eventually choke.

AAH, now that I see the picture bigger, this one has an aphid problem. I should go take care of that.

Rugelda- I thought I had lost the two of these. They took so long to come back from the bottom. But looking at them now you would never know it.

I've posted these before but they are putting on a really nice show now.

The Hunter is just starting it's rebloom. I love this rose.

A couple of my Bucks are also putting on a nice show. Now that Cedar Hollow is no longer shipping, I do not know exactly where I am going to find more Bucks roses yet.

Prairie Star

Earthsong. New this year but you wouldn't know it. It is quite vigorous.

Hawkeye Belle- Hard to beat perfection.

{{gwi:698365}}

Kaleidoscope. I missed all of the first blooms when I was at the lake in July. The coloring is so much like Distant Drums. And like DD the color fades fast in the heat and then it turn a light pink.

Shelley

Comments (25)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Very pretty Shelley,

What, CHR is not shipping no more, I had to quickly read it for myself at their website.....oh my, what are we going to do!!!!!!!!

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't know????? I was thinking earlier this year about trying Ashdown Roses in the states. But after my roses were lost in the mail this spring and seeing all the white growth when I finally got them, I do not know if I want to try it.
    I did loose one of my Double Delight out of the bunch.
    Ashdown does have a nice concept though. You order your roses, then the root them and about 18 months later they let you know that they are ready. You are never under any obligation to purchase. Plus they have lots of Bucks.

I wish that I still had relatives in the Okanagan Valley.

Shelley

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Finally, Hawkeye Belle has bloomed, and she IS beautiful!
    {{gwi:698329}}

I found Topaz Jewel at a nursery here - it must have been hiding when i was looking in the spring!

And Marie Bugnet is blooming again:

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Well, my two new roses have pleased me this summer...
    Morden Blush...after a slow start with only a couple blooms, she is now loaded!

Winnipeg Parks...which I thought would be more red, but is a pretty color none the less :)

• northspruce
    16 years ago

Peace is finally blooming... there you go Grandma ;0)
    {{gwi:702004}}

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

Great pics everyone!! I just love Rugelda, very pretty.

Here is Distant Drums finally putting on a good show. He got off to a slow start but is making up for it.

Tradescant is a lovely rose that I am really smitten with

{{gwi:720866}}

This one is Gruss an Aachen a very good performer and really nice delicate colouring

and finally Rosarium Uetersen, I really like the colouring on this one and it sure has bloomed alot for a first year bare root

cathy

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

and on to a few more....

This is Friesinger Morgenrote (aka Sunrise) a Kordes climber, I fell in love with photo's of this rose and it sure does not disapoint in real life. The colours are amazing and the scent is wonderful. It was a bare root this spring and has had well over 20 blooms on it so far already, pretty good performance for a baby.

This is the Floribunda Intrigue

and a little guy resting on him

Still have no decent pics to post of Folksinger as it is turning out to be a real dud.... think i'll go and lean the shovel on the fence beside it and see if he decides to shape up. The Mayflower was also not impressive through July however it is really perking up and giving some very nice blooms now, may actually get something worth taking a picture of in the next week or so.

cathy

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, Rugelda is gorgeous! Love the colours on her!

Marcia, I knew you'd like Hawkeye Belle.;^)

Gillian, Peace is stunning. Great picture.

Cathy, how long have you had Folksinger? It took mine a few years to settle in. This was probably it's best year ever with about 30+ blooms for the season so far. It's got a few more buds to go on it yet too. Btw, I really like your Friesinger Morgenrote. I'm a real sucker for multi-coloured roses!

I thought I'd put a few more late bloomers.

This will probably be the last bloom on Love for the season.

I can't get over how much growth Red Robusta put on in only it's second year. The longest stem is about 5 feet tall!

Red Robusta cluster. It's got a lovely scent too.

This was a walmart rose. After I bought it, it pretty much died back to nothing. I thought it was toast for sure, but then I saw a new shoot coming off of a cane, and decided to plant it out anyway, and see what becomes of it. There are now two buds on it. At least one of the colours is in it for sure to be true to name.

It's supposed to be Double Delight. Stay tuned to see what unfurls in the coming days........;^)

• shootingstar2
    16 years ago

Laurie,

Folksinger is new this year, a bareroot, so I know I should be patient but it is hard when the performance gives nothing to be hopeful about.

It took off well, as all the bareroots did, leafed out and grew well. Then it just sat there. The few blooms I had in the first round mostly turned brown and failed to open. It started ok with new growth that became mildewed. I sprayed and picked leaves as they got too bad. It actually went through 3 sets of leaves on the new growth each time covered in mildew.

I now have a very healthy looking plant for the first 6 to 8" from the ground and tall naked stalks about 1.5 feet tall, it really is sad.

Not one decent bloom to speak of all summer.....sigh....

Now Friesinger Morgenrote on the other hand is a trooper. I'm also a sucker for the multicoloured ones and especially the sunrise colours.....I love, love, love this rose..... and the scent is wonderful.

cathy

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Cathy, yesterday I counted 20 flower buds yet to bloom on Folksinger, so don't give up on yours. I'm sure it's rooting and will reward you next year.;^)

Here's a picture of that walmart rose again, a little more open.

And pic of the other bud starting to open.

The scent on it is wonderful....kind of sweet and fruity. Does any know if Double Delight can have all red flowers on a young plant? Or am I hoping for too much?

• leo_prairie_view
    16 years ago

This new rose this year was supposed to be Banshee but has been blooming several times all summer long. The guess is that it is Lambert Closse. The fragrance is great. What do you think?

Leo

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like Lambert Closse to me Leo. Even the leaves look right. She does smell here sometimes. I think it is more due to the weather.

Laurie,here is a picture of my new Double Delight. She smells kind of like old garden roses. This bush has struggled this year so this will most likely be my one and only bloom.

Shelley

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Since I was out taking a few more Pic's, I thought I would post these two.

Abraham Darby. Since I am going to have trouble finding Bucks now, I should get into some English roses instead.

Rosarium Uetersen.
    This rose is supposed to sleep in the first year, creep in the second and then leap in the third. This is year 2 for it and it seems to be right on target. Can't wait for the leap.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Oh Shelley, such beautiful roses! I'm tempted to order Bucks from Pickering now that Cedar is closed, but they are grafted, will see come spring.

Sharon

• sazzyrose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've been looking at Pickering as well. I'm kind of stuck on own root though.
    I have said in previous posts that I only buy own root. But I know that I have been lied to. Some of the roses that I have are grafted. When the suckers start coming up it is hard not to miss. They are doing fine in SK as well.
    Actually some roses are supposed to do better grafted. My Distant Drums is so tiny yet this year that I was actually thinking of buying another one that is grafted to see if it would make a difference.

Shelley

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

There is also Hortico roses in Ontario, lots' of different ones to choose from, however a a big BUT, they sure do have alot of negative reviews over at Garden Watchdog.

Marica did you not order roses from Hortico? How were they?

Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Hortico Bucks

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Sharon, you saw pictures of my Hawkeye Belle in this thread. You be the judge! :) The other rose i got from them was Delicata, but it hasn't bloomed this summer. It's a pretty healthy-looking rose, though.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

I've read that after a few years that roots will form above the graft, which would be essentially the own roots of the grafted rose. I have to say that the 2 remaining grafted roses I have from Pickering(Hawkeye Belle and Folksinger) seem to do better and better each year. But I don't think I'll be digging them up any time soon to see if they've developed their own roots or not.;^)

• northspruce
    16 years ago

When I dug up my two old ladies (Sonia and Montezuma) last fall they had major huge roots above the graft. There were still quite a lot of roots below too but a whole rose's worth above. Definitely working on their own roots after 20+ years.

I had really mixed results from Pickerings. The mini never broke dormancy; two HTs put out three leaves each and then croaked; but Polstjarnan is doing very well (own-root) and Agnes has gone insane. It's enormous. It's grafted BTW. I have had some really good success with grafted and own-root alike.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Shelley, thanks for posting a pic of DD. When the two flowers opened fully on mine, there was a little splash of white in one of them, so I think I may not find out until next year, if it survives, whether it's DD or not.

Gillian, that's good to hear first hand experience about the roots growing above the graft like that. Hopefully that's what my grafted ones are doing too.

I sure hope we don't have any really cool nights for awhile, as Folksinger is just loaded with buds again. I'd love to see a few more of these in the next week or two.

I love how roses look after a gentle rain.:0)

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Oh Laurie, what a beautiful rose especially with the raindrops!

Good to know Gil about your experience with grafted roses, I will keep that in mind.

Sharon

• northspruce
    16 years ago

I missed part of this thread... Laurie I don't think your red rose is Double Delight. (sorry). I have had mine for 4 years now and its buds always start out looking just like Shelley's and the red develops in response to sunshine as the petals open. Rarely if it's blazing hot & sunny will a bud look dark red but it always opens with white wherever the petals were closed.

This is the most solid red I have ever had on a bloom, it was an interesting one with the defined white patch!

This is more typical of an opening bud. The red will develop more with sun exposure.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Oh darn it anyways! Geez, walmart roses are hardly ever mislabelled.;^) So that means, I'm still on the hunt for a DD......but now I wonder what I do have, and is it worth keeping? That will have to be found out next year I guess. Btw, those are just lovely pictures of DD Gillian, thanks for posting them. And thanks for the explanation of how the colours form on it. I didn't know that's how it worked. Now I'm even more intrigued by it!

Iceberg is in the middle of a nice flush right now.
    {{gwi:698824}}

Love the soft scent of this one.:0)

• anatayo
    7 years ago

it is very nice!Could you tell me what is her name of the attached photo?