Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_z3_mb

My early Christmas present!

Laurie_z3_MB
17 years ago

Wahooo! Today I finally got my dugout dug!

Here it is all finished.

It's hard to tell the size from the pic, but it's about 50'x75' and about 10' deep. It's going to make watering the gardens sooo much easier next year. I can hardly wait. I'll definitely be doin' the Happy Dance!

Laurie

Comments (10)

• verenap
    17 years ago

Congrats!! That's very exciting!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Not deep enough to stock trout, though! :> Maybe okay for swimming?

Just kidding, Laurie - congratulations!

• sazzyrose
    17 years ago

Good for you. Hopefully it will fill up well next spring.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

That is great news Laurie, now how will you get the water out of there to water your gardens, do you use a pump too?

Merry Christmas, now watch it snow ;)

Sharon

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Congratulations on your Christmas present! I bet you have a big smile on your face these days!!

Now, to get some water in the dugout. How far is it from the garden? Did he dig a trench from the dugout to the garden for you to bury your waterline also while he had the back hoe there that day? If he didn't you can always rent a trencher for the day and do it yourself. Burying the waterline makes it so much easier for mowing and also for the frosts in the fall. Let's see...then you could have posts with taps on them all along the garden so all you have to do is attach the hose and turn on the tap. I am sure your DH has lots of plans as to how the water will be distributed around your yard. If he needs to see pictures of what my DH did for us just let me know.

Brenda

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Congratulations on your dugout Laurie! That will definitely make things easier for you next year with watering. Would goldfish survive in it all year? That might be neat to consider.

Syreeta

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

Looks great, Laurie. I'll bet you can't wait until everything is lush and green next year. How about frogs and snails? They're always needed for the finer restaurants. : D

Shauna

• Laurie_z3_MB
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"How about frogs and snails? They're always needed for the finer restaurants"

Uh, yeah Shauna, I'll send ya a BIG box of those!LOL

I'm not sure how well goldfish would do in there Syreeta, but I suppose buying a handful of feeder goldfish and throwing them in, would help to keep the mosquito population down. If they didn't make the winter, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Brenda, the dugout is just on the other side of our shelterbelt from the backyard. We won't be burying the waterhose as it would chew up a ton of tree roots in the process. So the hose would just run through the shelterbelt where there's no grass anyway. I'm not sure how DH will be setting up the hoses yet, but I'm sure he's got something in mind. He says he can get a hold of two sprinklers that were used on a golf course, and with these hooked up to 2" hoses would be able to do some really serious watering!!

"now how will you get the water out of there to water your gardens, do you use a pump too?
    Merry Christmas, now watch it snow"

Yes, Sharon we've got a water pump that was used to pump the water off of the truck when we hauled in water for the garden. Now DH will just have to show me how to use the thing! And we'd better not get any of that white stuff for a while yet. Although, we will be needed lots of it to help fill the dugout now ;^)

Marcia, my boys already have had the swimming pool idea! That is precisely why there will be a snow fence all around it :^) Actually, the backhoe operator was filling the boy's heads of a skating rink come winter. Hmmmm, how do you go up and down a ladder wearing skates? Better yet, how do you get a snow-blower down 10' this winter?lol May have to wait til next winter for the rink.:)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Our kids sometimes skated on the beaver pond, but when they got older they were too lazy to shovel the snow off. If yours want to shovel, go for it - you may end up with future NHLers!

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Very cool! Congrats!

Merry Christmas, now watch it snow"

NO, NO, NO - I will not watch it snow! (I guess I'll have to keep my eyes closed all winter too!!! LOL)

I can sure see that you are thrilled with this Laurie! Right on!

Ang