Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cailinriley

Garden Pics - week of September 24th

cailinriley
17 years ago

These lilies (2 bulbs; 2 flowers and a bud) had started blooming last week, but I waited for a dry, sunny day to take my camera out. I'm amazed that they took a few frosts without flinching. I bought them, in bloom, at Easter-time 2005, and then planted them out last fall. I had no idea they would bloom this late in the season. I planted them with my other lilies, but the spot is fairly shady this time of year. I'm really hoping they'll come back next year. In any case, I'll be planting out the bulbs from this year's Easter lilies. Has anyone else had luck growing Easter lilies (aka Madonna lilies???) in the garden?

{{gwi:721723}}

{{gwi:721726}}

{{gwi:721730}}

This is my Clara Curtis chrystanthemum, which has just come into full bloom.

{{gwi:721733}}

Here's hoping for a long, gorgeous autumn!!

Comments (10)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Doris, those are beautiful lilies! I've planted the Easter lilies before but they never came back true, that i can remember. They ended up looking more like Asiatics.

Love the mums! Here's my dendranthemum with the echinacea behind it. How the heck long will that echinacea bloom???

Here's some winter-sown allysum, doing great:

Aster 'Ostrich Feather", once again reminding me that i should pinch, pinch, pinch (will i ever learn??):

These little phlox have been blooming all summer too:

Here's Prof. von Klippenberg's first bloom - first of many, if it's anything like last year:

I was trying to capture yesterday morning's sparkle but i didn't quite do it. Not sure where the rainbow effect comes from, but kind of a neat picture anyway:

• CrazyDaisy_68
    17 years ago

Great pictures Cailinriley and Marcia. I taking notes as to which plants are blooming now. Anything that blooms nice and long is on the top of my list.

Looks like you are getting showered with sunshine, Marcia! Cool picture!

Gorgeous chrysanthemums, I really love the colour on them.

Most of my garden is winding down -- and not so gracefully either. My Russian Giant Sunflower has completely toppled over dispite my trying to tie him up a few times now. The birds love the seeds so I am trying to keep it going for as long as I can.

Most of the beds still have bits and pieces of colour still going.

I am surprise to see the Zing Salmon Dianthus again! Thought for sure it was done a while ago!

This African Daisy made itself very comfortable in the Purple Basil.

Ang

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

It's wonderful to see splashes of colour at this time of year. There's still a few things blooming in my yard yet.

I'm loving this combo of sedum 'Autumn Joy' and goldenrod.

Gaillardia 'Dazzler' is very eye-catching.

One lone delph blooming.

The first flowers on viticella 'Blue Bell' clematis, which was planted this summer.

The roses are still pumping them out.
    'Morden Sunrise'
    {{gwi:697362}}

'Scentimental' with 'Hawkeye Belle' peeking out in the top left corner.

'Golden Unicorn'

'Iceberg' has got quite a few buds coming now too. I just hope there's time for them to open.

Laurie

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Well I am surprised at what I still have in bloom...

Front bed...with a watcher in the window!

Blekitny Aniol and Rooguchi...

Side bed along house...

Mutant Delph...

Still nice Delph...

WSed Kale...

Front Round bed...

What's left of the pots....Million Bells

Rudbeckia...

Close up...

Who am I? Bud....

Foliage...

Morden Ruby....still going even though it is tucked in for winter!

Morden Sunrise....not giving up yet....

Clematis Bill MacKenzie

The last of the Corydalis

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Doris, your Easter Lily, how cool is that! I'm going to try one next Easter now ;)

Nice photos everyone, here are some of mine....

Ornamental Cabbage & Kales are started to show their true colours.

Osaka Red Orn Cabbage

Pennisetum setaceum Fountain Grass, I just love this annual Ornamental grass, looks great this time of year.

{{gwi:703272}}
    Verbena bonariensis and Rudbeckia hirta ÂIndian Summer still perfoming. I'm going to do this combination again next year.

Zinnia elegans ÂZowie! Yellow Flame & Panicum violaceum Panic Grass

SOLANUM atropurpureum, it's TALL this year!

Aster dumosus 'Anneke', Professor A Kippenberg should be blooming soon too.

Persicaria polymorpha in the background, pink/red tones in the fall & Heliopsis helianthoides.

EUPHORBIA myrsinites Donkey Tail Spurge in the rock garden, started indoors by seed, hope it makes the winter.

{{gwi:703266}}
    Veronica whitleyi in the rock garden, putting on another flush of little flowers. Don't mind the grass clippings, I mowed the lawn yesterday ;)

{{gwi:701324}}
    Osteospermum ÂOrange Symphony is loving the cool weather lately.

Happy Fall Gardening!
    Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: Week of September 24th Photos

• cailinriley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So much colour left in everyone's garden. (Note to self...need more annuals!!) This is my favourite season...I want it to last a looooong time!

Sharon, your Veronica whitleyi makes me weep. I had a small patch, but it got engulfed by forget-me-not seedlings, and I must have pulled it out when I was clearing the bed. Ironically, the forget-me-nots didn't help my memory until after it was too late.

I wanted to share this photo, although I shouldn't have taken it in such sunny conditions. I bought this miniature mountain ash about 3 years ago. I love its creamy white berries. Unfortunately, I can't remember the variety...(got it written down, but where???)
    {{gwi:721823}}

Although this little smoke bush dies to the ground, and therefore never "smokes", I love that it comes back every year, and I really enjoy the shape and colour of the leaves.
    {{gwi:721824}}

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

I love how the ornamental kales and cabbages look at this time of the year. So vibrant! Michele, I've got the same type as you have, but only the white ones made it to maturity for me. After seeing your purple ones, I now know what I missed out on! :(

Sharon, you'll have to let us know how that EUPHORBIA myrsinites Donkey Tail Spurge winters for you. What a cool looking plant that is!

Doris, how tall does your smoke bush get to? This year mine's gotten the tallest it's ever been in 6 years. It's about 5.5' tall, so it must have liked the mild winter and warm summer. It would be really cool to see it "smoke" though!

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Laurie, this is the first year I have ever planted those Kales and I love them too. The texture of them is great. I love Sharon's too. I think the Cabbages are neat but I love the spiky Kales. I'll have to keep my eye out for those seeds in the spring.

• cailinriley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

5.5' tall, Laurie?? Wow!! I think my plant knows this is a non-smoking household.

Ironically, mine is smaller this year--only about 3 feet tall--and not quite as bushy as in other (colder) years. Hmmm. It could be suffering from crowded conditions. It's in the perennial bed, after all (doesn't need more space than that) and some of the plants around it grew quite vigorously this season.

Sharon, my Donkey Tail Spurge survived one winter--several seasons ago. I think I lost it during a wet spring. I should try again, though. Yours is lovely.

I've never grown ornamental cabbages and kales; they're so expensive from the garden centres. I should try them from seed...(So many plants; so little time and space.)

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Doris, come to think of it, my smoke bush isn't quite as bushy as other years either. It's more leggy than usual. Oh well, for a zone 5 shrub I guess I won't complain at all, because it survives!

I'm figuring that the reason why ornamental kales and cabbages are so expensive at the nurseries, is because they have to hire an extra person to sit there and swat the cabbage butterflies that are attracted to them!! It's my first year trying them from seed and I'll definitely be growing them again next year.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus