Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunnerbun_gw

My New Deck

hunnerbun
17 years ago

This was my project last weekend.

Saturday evening I replaced the skirting from under the old deck and started aying outthe frame.

Sunday I finished the main part and Monday Hubby helped me do the stairs.

Today I did all the spindles on the rails. I still have to put the lattice along the bottom edge, but it just got too cold to finish today.

It is 12x12 and I made the stairs 4' wide so the jog at the front would be 8'. Made it really easy, hardly any cutting at all.

Comments (16)

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Michele, looks great! What color are you going to stain it next year? Are you going for a wood grain look or are you painting it a solid color?

Brenda

• hunnerbun
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks...it feels great to accomplish something so substantial.

The back deck is stained a reddish cedar color so we'll most likely do it the same.

• Pudge 2b
    17 years ago

Very nice indeed, and impressive carpentry skills.

I often think I would tackle building something if I wasn't so deathly afraid of saws. Any other tools I can handle but an electric saw (table, skill, chop) just give me the willies - I hate even watching DH operate one, and I'm usually the one holding the other end of the board.

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Michele, since our house had the cedar shakes on it, this summer when I stained our deck, I opted for the cedar stain. It took me about 2 weeks to finally finish staining it. Glad I don't have to do that every summer!

Brenda

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Really nice, Michele! I too am impressed with your carpentry skills. May i invite you and your tools down for a couple of weeks? :>

• SeaOtterCove
    17 years ago

Great job Michele. If you want I have a deck that could be redone as well. :)

Syreeta

• northspruce
    17 years ago

It looks great Hunner, good job! Isn't it the greatest feeling to make something yourself?

• Konrad___far_north
    17 years ago

It looks very nice!!..Job well done!
    Konrad

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

Terrific job, Michele. Look at all the space for deck baskets and rail baskets. : D. I, like Pudge, am afraid of the saw, although I have had to use it. But, it is the one tool I try to avoid.

DH finally got the deckboards on the phase #2 of our deck. We built a composite deck and bought the deckboards for both levels last summer. I was going to become a really "cranky" wife if the second level didn't get on this summer because they sun fade slightly every year. But, they are all done and it looks great. So, he's back in my good graces again.

Shauna

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Great looking deck Michele! I wish I had carpentry skills like yours. I could get so much more done around here! Our main deck needs to be redone too. The people who built our house just put a plywood floor on the deck and covered it with carpet. Now, of course, it's rotting underneath :(

• north53 Z2b MB
    17 years ago

Wow, I'm totally impressed also. Great job!
    I've often wished I had taken a carpentry course so I could complete all the unfinished work around this house. Sigh....
    But then I think that's why I spend so much time working out in the yard on my garden. For the most part I can do it all myself and don't have to wait for anyone to do his part.

• ian_bc_north
    17 years ago

Nice job!
    Funny thing is the one thing that caught my eye in the photos was the vanity plate on one of the cars.
    Ian

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Ian, Michele is a hairdresser (hair stylist) so thus the license plate on the car. It would be a guy who would notice that! Okay, Ian...what kind of vehicle does she drive...(I sure don't know). Michele, don't tell him...

Brenda

• ian_bc_north
    17 years ago

I would venture a guess at a Toyota.
    I am way out of date on vehicles these days and so many appear as if they could have been run off the same assembly line.

I was aware that Michelle is a hairdresser. ItÂs funny that the plate just seemed to jump out at me when I viewed the photo.
    I suppose that itÂs like Verena and antlers.
    Ian

• hunnerbun
    Original Author
    17 years ago

LOL....not a Toyota... Its actually a Pontiac Torrent. I had the same plate in Nova Scotia so I was really excited that I was able to get the same one here.

Thanks for all the compliments on the deck....and all the offers of work. The funny thing is that the girl I work with, Mel, is pretty handy too. She has completely gutted her whole house and is rebuiding it herself. Today we were talking and she said we should start a side business. I said sure we'll call it M & M Builders. Hehehe

• verenap
    17 years ago

Great job! It looks awesome. You could do a workshop at the reunion. I love carpentry projects...and power tools...MORE POWER...ARH ARH ARH! LOL. I've wanted to take a course in carpentry for a while now...wonder if Red Deer College offers any night courses...hmmm.

Ian...LOL! Guess I'm getting a reputation...hehe!

Verena