On the picnic table....

Purple Potatoes

Parsnips

{{gwi:721971}}

Konrad

Comments (7)

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Beautiful Konrad! What are those purple potatoes like? Did you eat any yet? Can you take a picture of the middles? They look so cool.

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Wow, your purple potatoes got 10 times bigger than mine did! Out of 3 hills I only got an ice cream pail full, and the biggest would have only been maybe 5" long.

Gill, I mainly grew them for the boys, so I made fries out of them one time. I was kind of hoping that they would turn white when cooked, but nope, purple they stayed. I didn't find them terribly appetizing, but I'm sure it was the colour that mentally turned me off. I've still got a few left, maybe will have to try them baked.........and with a blindfold!LOL

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

My DH and I like the purple potatoes also. The kids, when they were living at home, didn't really like the purple color but ate them anyways 'cause really they taste no different than white potatoes.

Last year (spring 2005) McFaydens didn't have any purple potatoes so I ended up buying Caribe (purple outside, white inside). I planted some of last year's Caribe as seed potatoes this spring. They also taste like normal white potatoes.

Since I didn't plant my potatoes until mid June the harvest was smaller than usual. Two of my sisters do farmer's markets and both of them had extra this summer so I don't have to worry about getting any from the store this winter.

Brenda

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all!

>>Did you eat any yet? Can you take a picture of the middles?

Yes I can,...when cooked or raw?...well I can do both.

Brenda is right!....they taste same as regular ones.

This is a better picture, [sun behind]

It was good growing season, these are early girl's
    Konrad

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Konrad, what did you make/do with all your tomatoes? They look beautiful.

I notice that your potatoes have scabs on them. The first five years or so after we added manure to our garden I had a lot of scabs on our potatoes also. Since the scabs are only skin deep I didn't worry about it. Did you just recently fertilize the portion of the garden where the potatoes were planted?

Brenda

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Brenda
    >>what did you make/do with all your tomatoes?
    Allot we gave away, some I sold to the a local Pizza Restaurant, some we caned, allot we ate everyday, yesterday
    we just finished them.

I have scabby potatoes every year, some verities are better then others for scabs, it doesn't bother us, after you peal them they are fine. I haven't really fertilized them, the garden is in a low area in the property with black sandy soil and
    I don't think it makes a difference if fertilized, they say the scab comes from a fly, laying eggs into the tuber,
    then they will go inside, I have put a little cast Iron shavings on top of the soil when planted, for additional nutrient and to see if it helps with scabs, ...but it didn't. One year when I put cast Iron shavings around the cabbage plant it helped for root maggot. This year I used news paper and it worked too.
    Konrad

• Konrad___far_north
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We just eat the big purple potatoes, here a pic from the inside.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area