Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
durtcom

Garden Pics - week of October 1st

durtcom
17 years ago

It was a beautiful day yesterday and I was out admiring all the fall colours.

Our golden oldie crab was looking very gold:

The sky was soooo blue:

The Virgina Creeper is one of the showiest for fall colour:

I love this red Dendranthemum (Thanks Marcia!):

I had a couple of late bloomers last week. This delphinium was cut back to the ground after a hail storm the first of July. It grew back to about half of normal height and put on a nice show:

And this phlox got eaten down to about 6 inches by a deer earlier in the summer and fought back and managed to get some blooming in:

What fall colours are happening in your garden?

Susan

Comments (13)

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Looking good Susan, that's a nice big crabapple tree! Nothing's really changing colour in my yard yet, even the VA Creeper is still mostly green. I don't think we have even really had a frost, my begonia is still alive in a planter out in the middle of the yard.

I have a couple of things I wonder if anyone can ID for me...

I really like this purple sedum (sorry about the mess, haven't worked on this bed yet), anyone know the name?

There is some of this growing in my goutweed and it doesn't look familiar at all...

This is a big shrub (maybe 8' tall?) that looks familiar but I can't place it.

Thanks if anyone can help.

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

Gil, would it be 'Vera Jamison' sedum? (spelling?) Jameson? Jamieson? Hmmmm.

Sierra

• durtcom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Could the sedum be Sedum telephium 'Mohrchen'?

Susan

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Sorry, Gill, I can't help you out with any of the id's. Hopefully next summer they'll flower and be easier to id, except for the sedum, which could be either of the two mentioned above.

Beautiful fall pictures Susan. What a gorgeous blue the sky was for you!

There's still a few things blooming around here.

I'm delighted with how well alstroemeria blooms, and tolerates cool nights. I haven't brought in 'Camilla' for the night yet.

Morning glories are still going strong. This one grew through the holes in the butterfly house.

Bell flower and Johny jump ups.

Clematis 'Etoile Violette'

Castor beans and zinnias.

I LOVE my Cottoneaster hedge in the fall!

The Pagoda dogwood is getting some nice colour too.

And here is my sun-bathing beauty, Sandy, enjoying the morning sun.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Sierra & Susan, I looked those sedums up and there seem to be a lot of different opinions on Google Images for both suggestions... but some pictures of both look like possibilities. I don't know if it has changed colour at all for the fall so I guess I will have to see what it does next year. Thanks anyway!

Laurie I love cotoneasters too, I have a whole hedge of them now but they are still green :(

• hunnerbun
    17 years ago

Laurie you have just unknowingly helped me to identify my hedge here! It has been here since before hub bought the place and I asked if he knew what it was (of course he didn't!). It gets the most gorgeous red in the fall.
    It has been much better the last 2 years since I have moved in and given it a little love! I pruned out all the dead wood, and clipped back some of the longer wild branches and I am training it into a nicer more uniform shape. There is one on each side of the front yard. The one closest to our driveway gets a bit of winter abuse with the snow being piled on them from the driveway but that also most likely helps to keep it alive over the winter. The other one borders on our neighbors driveway and it is much smaller. They don't pile the snow on it and it must get a lot more winterkill from the cold. OMG....I just figured this out right now while I was posting this! DOH. I'll make a note to try and remember to pile up some snow on that one this winter to see if it helps.

I love this place....I learn something new every day...even if it is something so obvious!

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Glad I could help Michele! I love the fall colour so much on the cotoneaster that 3 years ago we added about 25 more to the one side of the hedge. It makes a wonderful boundry between our lawn and the field.

Here's a pic I took this morning off the front deck. Lot's of colours happening here!

Btw, don't worry Gillian, I'm sure your hedge will be turning colour any day now! ;^)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

Here's some fall colour on one eunonymous:

Here's some fall colour in the trees:

This hollyhock has bloomed again - or maybe it's the first time for this one. It seems to have been hidden behind the taller ones:

Dendranthemum (with echinacea in the background - still blooming):

The Professor:

Susan, our dendranthemums look like twins! LOL Glad yours "took" and is doing well. :)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Wonderful Fall colours everyone!

Cornus sericea Red Osier Dogwood

{{gwi:699997}}
    Sedum spectabile ÂAutumn JoyÂ

Calendula ÂVictoria SunsetÂ, I just love these annuals at this time of the year.

{{gwi:697464}}
    Morden Chrysanthemum, I think this one is 'Fiesta Purple', its in a shadier spot compared to my others, so its blooming late.

Chrysanthemum weyrichii

Many roses still blossoming!

Salvia horminum Painted Sage

{{gwi:722278}}
    ANDROPOGON gerardi Blue Stem Beard Grass

Melica transsilvanica 'Red Spire'

Aster novae-angliae

Aster dumosus 'Anneke'

Aster dumosus 'Professor Anton Kippenberg'

Tidal Wave Cherry Petunias still putting on a good show!

Brassica oeracea Red Peacock Orn. Kale & Petunia Cherry Tidal Wave

Happy Fall!
    Sharon

Here is a link that might be useful: More Photos for Week of October 1st

• Pudge 2b
    17 years ago

Wow, Sharon - you still have so much going on! I'm really impressed with that big pink Aster - Anneke - that's beautiful.

It looks like everyone is having a nice display of fall colours. I was on a little road trip the other day and almost drove in the ditch because I was too busy looking at how the poplar trees were absolutely glowing yellow in the early morning sun. Around home the display isn't quite so nice & many of the trees are already bare.

I've hardly taken any photos of my yard this year so I hustled out there the other day (it was such a nice day, anyway) and took some. This Aster novi-belgii Blue Boy was destined to be compost, but I must have left a piece of it behind. When I finally realized it was there, I decided to leave it be. This is the nicest this plant has ever bloomed for me, and now I don't know if it was the season or if it needs to start off with a small piece every year. These grow into very large clumps in no time.

This one is also Aster novi-belgii, Winston Churchill. It's growing in way too much shade now that the willow has grown, but still stome blooms to enjoy

I am, so far, crazy about Dianthus amurensis Amur Pink

Fall colours in the back yard

The Wooly Thyme is trying to cover the driveway bricks as well as the hens & chicks. No soil under there, no water, gets stepped on all the time. I keep intending to take cuttings and get this started in other areas of the yard.

The various Hens & Chicks colour up this time of year.

This is Jovibarba 'small rosette mix' started from seed.

That's it for me - for the year, LOL.

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Thanks Pudge, Kudos to your garden too! Btw, those Calendulas are the seeds that you gave me; I would have to say ÂVictoria Sunset is my favourite of all Calendulas. I grew these ones far way from my others so that they wouldnÂt cross.

Holy smokes is your Creeping Thyme ever spreading! Dianthus amurensis is always a good one this time a year, I love it too.

Sharon

• Julie
    17 years ago

Hey there Gill-
    I was looking at all of the lovely pictures here- and I do believe I know what is growing in your gout weed- I do believe it is a double varient celedine/wood poppy. If that is what it truely is- next year you can expect a nice mounding habit to the foliage- up to 2' tall and around with very pretty double yellow flowers- with some irregular more pointy petals, occuring all through the growing season. The seed pods will look more like corydalis sempervirons- and it will bloom and reseed all over the place! It should "bleed' yellow as well.
    I do have this in my yard- and I don't mind too much about the reseeding- but if I did- I would be much faster at lopping off the unripe seed.
    I do hope that is what I think it is- and that you will enjoy it as much as I do mine!
    Julie

• prairierose
    17 years ago

I took these pictures Tuesday evening - it was raining and +2, so I figured better get a last few before the S***. We only got a skiff, so that was good. It's still cold out & foggy today. My front flowerbed is the only one that still has some color. It still looks pretty good if you can get the exact right angle. Parts are very scruffy from the frost. The alyssum has come back to life, and calendula, california poppies, and mums are still nice.
    Connie

Aster novi-belgii - variety unknown. It was just called Michaelmas daisy. I'd love some other colors.

Autumn Joy Sedum - needs splitting in the spring.