Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydaisy_68

I still have some mysteries to solve...

CrazyDaisy_68
17 years ago

I'm sure that some of these are from a Butterfly Mix that I tossed in the garden this spring but I really have no idea what they are.

This one just started opening a few days ago.

This one is very scented -- every time I walked by it (when it was warmer out) I would think "Wow, I love that smell!"

Very low growing -- maybe 5-6" in height.

Again, very short plant (also +/- 5-6")

{{gwi:722630}}

Weed? This is growing in a totally different area and I only just noticed it this morning when I went out to see what was still blooming. Ohhhh, could it be Sweet Williams ?? I know I tossed some seeds of a burgundy type somewhere!

TIA

Ang

PS --- Sorry for the large photo sizes here --- I'm trying to resize them over at Photobucket but for some reason it doesn't seem to want to change for me! I'll keep trying though.

Comments (15)

• northspruce
    17 years ago

This might sound crazy but #s 1,2, and 4 all look like different kinds of stocks to me. I'm fairly sure #4 is Matthiola sinuata, and #1 & 2 could both be Matthiola bicornis.

I agree that the last one looks Sweet William-ish.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Gil! #1 and #2 are definately stocks now that I see the google search pictures. I actually even WS'd some but I had totally forgotten where I planted them... but the picture on the seed pkg sure looks different! LOL

I haven't done a google search on #4 yet.

Ang

• vrie
    17 years ago

I'm positive that 3&4 are from a seed mix. I have them in my front bed from a "low growing" mix. They don't cut well, and they were hidden by other stuff, but when you can see them, they are pretty!
    The last one looks sweet william- I had some come up that I had forgotten and that's what I got!

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

I don't grow #3, but it looks so familiar...
    The last one is definitely Sweet William.

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

I think #4 is Silene armeris Catchfly. And, slight difference of opinion with Brenda (sorry), but I think that #'s 1 & 2 are Matthiola incana stocks. These ones are single flowers, not doubles. Matthiola bicornis is Evening Scented stocks, which are much taller and have quite fine foliage. I love the fragrance of all stocks and grow quite a few throughout all of my beds. And I plant a thick row of evening scented stocks along the back of my veggie garden. They're still blooming very well right now, despite the frosts and snow.

Shauna

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

It is too bad that we do not have the edit button on our posted replies like some other web sites do.

Shauna, just thought I would throw my 2 cents worth in. Sorry, but I haven't posted yet into this conversation. You may be referring to Gillian?

I do agree with you Shauna, that the #4 is probably the Catchfly. I love the German Catchfly. It is like a short pink version of the maltese cross. They are both from the same family.

#4 & #5 look like Sweet William plants.

Brenda

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

Sorry, Brenda. Yes, it is Gillian that I shared a slight difference of opinion with. LOL. Guess I was still a bit tired from our 13 hour drive from Vancouver. No offense intended toward anyone, though and I hope none has been taken. My post may have been read as containing sharp tongue but I didn't intend it to sound that way. Apologies to all.

Shauna

• northspruce
    17 years ago

No offense taken of course Shauna! (Although calling me Brenda... I dunno about that... LOL) Just said it looked like it to me, just a guess. Glad you IDed it.

• luv2gro
    17 years ago

". . . a rose by any other name would smell as sweet;" lol

I plead temporary brain failure (or it could be age related)

Shauna

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

The last few posts sound like my mom when I grew up...calling for one child and using a few other's names first before she finally got the right name. (There were 5 of us plus fosterkids).

Brenda

• prairierose
    17 years ago

I know the feeling! I tell my kids I named them all the same thing - MaDaLuke. (Matt, Dan, and Luke)
    Connie

• verenap
    17 years ago

LOL...you think that's bad...I'm so used to telling Brayden "No" (such a stinker...when he gets tired he just goes from one thing he's not supposed to do to the next) that with the DOG inside now, I've caught myself calling him (the dog) "Brayden" when he acts up... :-P Must be losin' my marbles!! (At least I'm not calling Brayden by the dogs name...yet! ;-)

Verena

• vrie
    17 years ago

I can definitely relate-- my 5 kids all answer to HEY! and the dogs look up at that moment too--- they also scatter to da**it!

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    17 years ago

My mother would go through her brothers' and sisters' names before she got to us, and there were a dozen of them! :O

• CrazyDaisy_68
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone.... sorry for responding so late here. I do remember catchfly being on a seed-package list now that you mention it! It's so pretty. I've checked my WS'ing list and I did do some 'Stocks ~ 10 week mix' and 'Stocks ~ Imperial Giant Mix'. Strange how the pictures on seed packages looked different though ($-store seeds = lousy pictures = good seeds though! LOL).

LOL at the Mom's & Names! My kids all have jumbled up names "Anna-Michelle" "Kim-chelle" "Kimber-Anna" etc.... so now I just whistle and they all come running up (buys me some time.... LOL) Ofcourse, DH's name and DS's names are extremely similar and they usually both answer to one name! LOL

Ang