Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

Plectranthus varieties 2008

valleyrimgirl
15 years ago

Marie, you were asking on the conversation side which Plectranthus I have...well... here it goes...alphabetically and with pictures and comments...

Cuban Oregano (plectranthus amboinicus) can actually be used in cooking. It is a plectranthus that does best and looks best if pinched back to promote branching. Very fragrant leaves.

Emerald Lace (plectranthus oertendahlii)... This one I just bought at Superstore this summer. It has only been watered when it rained and I desperately need to transplant it out of its original pot. It is really dark purple underneath and very dark on its leaves compared to the emerald silvery color it had when I bought it in July. I expect it to go back to the original color as the winter goes on as it gets less and less sunlight here in the house.

Frosted Jade (plectranthus argentatus). I love the wide white edge on this one. It reminds me of the 'chicken fat' on daylilies.

{{gwi:695366}}

Iboza (plectranthus variegated Swedish Ivy). I like the variegation on this ivy. Very fragrant leaves.

{{gwi:697073}}

Mona Lavender (Plectranthus ecklonii) is an upright plectranthus that can bloom really easily and will continue blooming for a long time. Its leaves are very dark inside in the winter but lighter when it has been outside all summer in the sun. I love the flowers on it. The picture below is of my Mona Lavender after it has been outside without any extra watering all summer. Last year I regularly watered it and it was a much fuller plant at the bottom.

{{gwi:696334}}

{{gwi:696332}}

Nico (plectranthus coleoides) is a plectranthus that is found in a lot of pots at nurseries each spring. It will bloom after the plant is mature...usually for me at the age of 2 years.

{{gwi:702097}}

Notice the variegation in the leaves of the Nico when it was in the sunroom for the whole winter. The flowers are not really as spectacular or as colorful as Mona Lavender is.

Nico looks great with pink geraniums and a canna in the center of a pot.

Silver (plectranthus argentatus, nicoletta) has a wonderful silvery sheen to its fuzzy leaves. It has never bloomed for me. Its leaves are fragrant.

Swedish Ivy (plectranthus australis) has become a huge plant. I took to the office to overwinter about 2 years ago. I have taken hundreds and hundreds of cuttings from it. It even had a few flowers this summer on it. Fragrant when moved.

Variegated Cuban Oregano (plectanthus amboinicus variagatus) is a larger leafed variety than the Cuban Oregano but just as fragrant in its leaves. It has never bloomed for me. Its leaves will get pink undertones when it gets more sun.

In its original pot of about 2 years ago. I have not transplanted it but sure have taken lots of slips off it. Notice the rust coming through on the spout of the watering can. Guess I should have varnished the inside a few times before I planted it up. Oh, well.

no name...plectranthus of some sort...huge gigantic leaves that are solid in color... Fragrant leaves, also. This is a plectranthus I bought last summer at a nursery south of Winnipeg. They did not know the name of it, but its leaves and stems can get very very large.

I have found that the scented plectranthus have very few problems with bugs in the winter....Nico plectranthus is one that can though.

Marie, are any of my plectranthus the same as yours?

Anyone else have plectranthus? If so, please feel free to post your pictures of the varieties you have.

I love plectranthus. They are very bug free. They are very forgiving with watering or lack thereof. They will fill out a planter nicely if you need them to. Some I grow for the leaves (Frosted Jade and Emerald Lace), some for the flowers (Mona Lavender), some for the variegated foliage (Variegated Cuban Oregano and Iboza) and some for the nice leaves and fullness they give in a planter (Nico, Giant no name one and Silver). Some...well... just because...like Cuban Oregano

I would love to trade plectranthus with anyone who has an interest in doing so...maybe in the spring since the cold months seem to be approaching very fast.

Brenda

Comments (4)

• north53 Z2b MB
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Brenda,
    What a nice collection of plectranthus! I agree about them being insect free for the most part. It's one of the reasons I'm liking them so much. That and the fact that they are so vigorous.
    Unlike you, I don't seem to have hardly any pictures. Which is hard to believe especially of the one you've identified as Nico. I have given many slips of that one, as everyone who sees it wants a piece, but I can't find a single picture. Overall, I don't bring in the plants, so right now I only have small slips started. I will take pictures once they are potted up.

I no longer have cuban oregano, but I do have a fragrant one. The leaf if much larger and variegated. I'm not even sure it's a plectranthus. I don't know if you can see it in the picture. It's in the left hand corner. This picture is just a collection of leftover stuff I potted up and tucked in a corner.

I just bought the Frosted Jade this summer. I'm hoping my slips take, as I really like that one.

Here's the variegated chartreuse one similar to Nico in leaf shape.

Here it is again in a planter. The Frosted Jade can be seen in the hanging pot in the background.

If my slips all take, I have 5 different varieties:
    Nico, Frosted Jade, the variegated chartreuse, the variegated fuzzy leaf one, and the plain green, probably P. australis.

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really like your variegated chartreuse one, could it be Troy? Any interest in a trade in spring??? The last time I traded I put the slips into a CD case and it cost less than two dollars to mail the package to Alberta. Are you interested in any I have???

Brenda

• north53 Z2b MB
    15 years ago

Hi Brenda,
    I would love to trade with you. How do you get slips into a CD case? Wouldn't they get squashed?
    You're probably right about the name being 'Troy'. I'm sure it wasn't labeled when I bought it, other than plectranthus, or variegated swedish ivy. But then I googled plectranthus oertendahlii and found a similar picture called Limelight at:
    http://www.kartuz.com/pc/62209/7RFPK1/Plectranthus+oertendahlii+Lime+Light.html

So who knows. I just call them all plectranthus. I like that name. People look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them the name.

Anyway, I think I would like to try Emerald Lace, if we can swing it. Who will remember this come spring? I might need a reminder.
    Another nice foliage plant I have is iresine, if you like red.
    I'll look forward to hearing from you in the spring, Marie

• mfyss
    8 years ago

Are you still growing Plectranthus, valleyrimgirl?

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!