Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

assignment #3

valleyrimgirl
16 years ago

In photography, to acquire better composition, the rule of thirds is often used. The rule of thirds is where you look through the view finder and mentally divide what you see into thirds. Then you try to place your main subject of the photo at the thirds cross bars. There are 4 points to choose from...

top left

top right

bottom left

bottom right

So it depends on the subject as to where the best placement would be. When you look at good photos, you will quite often see that the rule of thirds have been applied. This week, concentrate on the placement of the main subject in the photo.

eg. Put someone/something in the bottom left third looking slightly up and into the picture then post the same picture with them in the center. Show the difference, in that the first one will look much better.

Here are some examples for you ....

When my son was mowing the lawn a few years ago I took this picture. I centered him and the mower in the picture. Looking at the picture now, I realize that he is mowing himself out of the picture.

So, what I did was crop the picture so that he was in the bottom right side and now, he can mow into (move into) the picture and not out of the picture. So, if I was to retake that scene I would place Jason and the mower into the bottom right and have lots of lawn in the picture remaining for him to mow yet.

{{gwi:723010}}

This is another example of what we are looking for...

Here is a picture of a front view of the Golden Queen Trollis taken a few years ago. Uninteresting but good enough for seeing what the flower looks like.

Then I noticed that of all the pictures I took that day, I had also taken a side picture of the same flower accidently using the rule of thirds. Now, with the flower in the top right and the bud in the bottom left, this arrangement makes for a much more interesting picture. Once again, if I was taking this picture over again, I now would have removed the top bud that is above the flower. This is why it is important to not only see your subject in the picture, but also the background or what is behind your subject.

Let's see your examples this week.

Brenda and Sierra

Comments (17)

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

I'm a little confused because you mention thirds and also 4 placements to choose from.
    I have mistakenly put gridlines on my viewfinder (haven't figured out how to take them off, but maybe it was fate :))and they create nine equal squares (3x3)...which makes four points where the lines cross. Is this what you mean, Brenda, or am I way off track?
    Here's my attempt, still looking frosty out there...
    Coneflowers

Flame Grass

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are right. There are 4 points where the lines cross. This is where your object could be placed to give more interest to the picture. Trying to describe the rule of thirds was hard, but I am glad to see you understood.

Seeing your coneflower in the bottom left of the picture, then following the path you created using the other coneflowers makes your eye wander through the picture. I like it. This is something else that they talked about in the course I took...to make your eye wander through the picture...giving it a path to follow.

The bottom picture has the grass in the bottom right and I like the way the shadow fills the rest of the picture.

Brenda

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Great. Thanks, Brenda.

"...then following the path you created using the other coneflowers makes your eye wander through the picture"

Your lawn mowing pic illustrated that very well. This is a great way to learn...to see others' examples and getting feedback as well.

• cailinriley
    16 years ago

Hi. I haven't been reading many posts, lately, but I came across this one when I should have been doing work ;-). Just a couple of days ago, I taught a class at school about the rule of thirds. Your photos are great examples, Brenda.

The website, below, shows the imaginary grid and the four intersections.

I need to come back to this forum, more often...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rule of thirds

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Looks good xtreme. Good examples too, Brenda.

I did these yesterday for this assignment.

{{gwi:723025}}

{{gwi:723027}}

{{gwi:723029}}

{{gwi:723031}}

Now which one or ones look better and why?

Sierra

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

I think they all look pretty good, actually. But the bottom ones are meant to look better, aren't they?

Is the building a little lopsided, or is that a bit of an illusion?

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

"But the bottom ones are meant to look better, aren't they?"

In the case of my photos here......it will depend what the photo is used for. It is usually best not to put the main subject in the middle of the photo. However there are times when it will work. Once you learn the rules of composition, you will also learn when they can be broken and still work. This will come with lots of practice.

The first photo...your eye definately lands right on the building, but then you start searching through the photo and wondering what the photo is about. Why did the photographer take this photo? What point are they trying to get across?

The second photo.... has a lot of distracting factors with trees and branches everywhere. Your eye does not really land on the main subject, which is the building. It searches through the photo...looking for the point of the photo.

My third photo...has better composition and could work....but the building is a bit close to the right side. Also the trees on the left compete with the building for the viewers eye. The balance isn't quite right.

My last photo...has much better balance. It shows the surrounding environment and doesn't look like the building will fall out of the photo. When looking at this photo, your eye follows the snow up to the building and then follows the trees through the rest of the photo.

"Is the building a little lopsided, or is that a bit of an illusion?"

These photos were taken at a historic homestead. They are working really hard to keep the buildings the way they were. As you can see they replaced some wood on this building. It looks like it was built on sloping land. Or perhaps it has settled over the years. So yes the building is lopsided. LOL!

Sierra

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I liked the first photo and the fourth.

The first... Because it is a close up picture, the cabin was placed in the center of the picture. Actually your eye is drawn first to the open door of the cabin (which is in the bottom left of the picture...rule of thirds) rather than noticing that the cabin is centered in the picture. It makes you want to go into the cabin and see what is inside.

The fourth picture is clearer and crisper than the third picture. The object of the picture, the cabin, is taken more at a distance and is placed in the bottom right corner of the picture. Because it is taken farther away, you feel more like wanting to go exploring in the area around the cabin, rather than going inside the cabin.

Just my thoughts and reasoning behind them...

Brenda

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

I'm laughing......even when I try to screw up a photo...I can't. LOL!!!! Brenda, you make a good point about the placement of the door. Although I was trying to center the cabin and missed. LOL! The composition still isn't really that great though....but again it does depend what the photo will be used for.

I forgot to sharpen the third photo after resizing it...that is the difference there. Yes these are environment shots. Good eye and good critique!

Sierra

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

I never picked that out about the door until Brenda mentioned it, but yes it does look inviting and pulls you eye into the cabin.

My picks were #2, even though it wasn't on the thirds I thought the trees 'framed' the cabin nicely and invited you to follow the road to the cabin.

#4 of course, because it followed the rule of thirds it was pleasing to the eye.
    But now I like #1, too :)

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

I felt that I failed the lesson, since I also liked #2 even though I knew I wasn't supposed to. As xtreme gardener mentioned, the road invites you up to the cabin.

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

First no one has failed this assignment! We are all learning together and hopefully having fun.

What you two are seeing in my second photo is "leading lines". Now that is another assignment...that we will do later on at some point. The leading lines (the path) lead to the cabin/barn and make the photo work. Also the trees on the right, note the 3 dark trunks? The odd number also makes them work well in this photo. For "rule of thirds" though this photo fails.

The composition could have been improved though, if I had walked a little futher to the right and placed the building on the upper left (third) and the path more on a diagonal...to draw the viewers eye in and through the photo.

Great points you two brought up here! Don't let anyone tell you, you are not supposed to like something. Photography is art, and art is subjective. The intent of my second photo was to show that it didn't fit the rule of thirds. You both caught that.....So very well done.

Sierra

• savona
    16 years ago

Good examples everyone. Here is my effort to share..savona
    {{gwi:723033}}

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

Thanks for the explanation on why I liked #2 Sierra. I looked at the pictures over and over, but still chose #2, LOL.
    I also wanted to add that I am enjoying the lessons and all the pictures. I had tried to post that right after my original post, but it was rejected; something about 2 posts in a row. It sure would be nice to be able to edit.

I see the rule clearly illustrated in your picture, Savona. It is pleasing to the eye. Marie

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

An editing button would be nice.....even if just to fix typos.

Nice pic Savona.

Sierra

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

Is that MY beaver pond, Savona? Looks almost like it!

• savona
    16 years ago

Wow Marcia..that would be one long lens to take a picture of your beaver pond from here...lol. It is nice to think we can share the same things right across Canada..savona

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH