Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

Assignment #1

valleyrimgirl
16 years ago

Intro to Assignments...

Sierra and I have been corresponding and we thought it would be a great idea, for those of us who would like to participate, to post pictures with a specific theme each week for those dull winter weeks. We thought this would be a fun way for all of us on the FN to see the world around us from different perspectives. If you would like to take part, but can't post the week of the assignment, feel free to add your pictures later when it works for you and your schedule. Let's enjoy this winter!

Brenda

Assignment #1 November hues/colours

Try to take pictures (and post them) of the November hues/colours in your yard or a nearby park or where ever. Most of the trees are bare now and winter is on the way....try to make your photo show how November makes you feel, with the garden season at an end for this year.

November hues are pretty dull, browns, greys, but there is still beauty around us......can you find it? Frost on old leaves or branches, back lit branches/trees, an old flower with snow or frost on it, whatever you can think of. If you still have colour left in your yard or flowerbed feel free to post a picture of it.

Let's have some fun taking photos!

Sierra and Brenda

Comments (24)

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Hi Brenda, Here are some photos I took this afternoon in my garden.

allium
    {{gwi:723144}}

This is/was Joe Pye Weed. I love the shades of colour left in the leaves and the textures of the leaves.
    {{gwi:723147}}

And looky looky what I found at the back of the house. This is John Davis explorer rose. A lovely surprise that was just waiting for me to discover! I'm still smiling!
    {{gwi:723150}}

Looking forward to seeing everyones photos.
    Sierra

• savona
    16 years ago

This looks like a fun idea..by tomorrow morning I should be able to get a few snow covered pansy shots
    ;-) savona

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Great idea guys! It's been awhile since I've had the camera out, and this will be a good excuse to get it out more often in the winter months.

It's a balmy +1C with a good gusty wind here today....I even had a little bit of snow come down earlier too.:( But even so, I was happy to see that there's still a bit of colour in my garden. Btw, Sierra, that John Davis sure did give you a lovely surprise for this time of year.

Here's a few pics from my yard.

Bergenia colouring up nicely.

Dock, or Bloody Dock.....I can't remember the Latin name for it at the moment.

Barberry berries are tiny, but very showy.

Ornamental kale laughing at the cold weather.....for now.;0)

Clematis seed heads have to be one of my favourite's for texture.

And I've still got a pot of this dianthus going strong.

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Savona SAVONA, now look what you did. :O

Laurie, great photos...you still have lots of colour in your garden. Would you like some of todays snow...heeheehee

Sierra

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

This is what my poor rose looks like today. :-(

{{gwi:723169}}

Sierra

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Poor John is looking kind of droopy there. Don't worry, we're supposed to get some of that white stuff tomorrow morning too.:(

• savona
    16 years ago

I went out this morning and dusted the snow off a few bloomers. I have a nice protected spot between the deck and house on the southside that there are few things still blooming :-)..savona
    alyssum
    {{gwi:723172}}
    a couple blooms still hanging on the top of a foxglove
    {{gwi:723175}}
    pansy
    {{gwi:723178}}
    annual phlox
    {{gwi:723181}}
    touch of red calendula
    {{gwi:723184}}

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We haven't had any snow here yet...thank goodness, 'cause I am still not ready for it. I did, though, take some pictures this morning when there was frost on a lot of the plants.

The sedum was really pretty.

Each little leaf of the creeping thyme was covered with frost.

I love the way the leaves have settled into the snow-in-summer, but the frost really doesn't show on its silvery leaves.

The tips of the creeping evergreens were frosted.

Brenda

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Great pics Savona. How much snow do you have now? We have about 2 feet up on the hill, it snowed again yesterday.

Brenda, your compositions are well done. There is a nice patterny flow to them all except the first one. Do you use auto focus? If you do.....be sure the camera focuses on what you intend the focus to be on. Sometimes the auto focus has a mind of its own.

Just kind of a tip or though of the day......
    if you can't get your camera to focus.....back up a couple steps till you can get a focus.

Sierra

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sierra, yes, I used the foliage setting on the camera and did get a little close so the first picture is a little out of focus. I guess I will have to wait a few more days before we have frost again...maybe even tomorrow am.

Sierra, I can't imagine 2' of snow already, although it sure would be good for your perennials to get them through the winter. Here we have no snow on the ground right now. The little skiff we had the other day is all melted and gone.

Brenda

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Brenda can you discribe the foliage setting to me? I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Sierra :)

• savona
    16 years ago

We had about 4-5 inches of snow on the weekend.The grandkids were excited to get pulled around on their sleds and BJ the dog even got in on the fun..that has all came to an end, we are back to mud..bleck!..savona
    {{gwi:723193}}

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sierra,

My foliage setting is a setting that I take most of my flower pictures and nature pictures with. It is one of the settings on a SCN dial that includes beach, snow, fireworks, indoor and a night snapshot setting. The foliage setting is a setting that puts more green (I believe) into the picture giving the flower pictures a truer color than the auto setting does. It is a setting that I use a lot. Now that I took the photography course, I will start trying to use some of the custom/manual settings more often. But the foliage setting is wonderful for those times when you quickly want to take a picture and then go do something else.

Brenda

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Yay! Camera projects! Thank you Brenda and Sierra. This is going to be fun. Its great to share with others who appreciate the beauty, the odd and the abstract that nature has to offer :)

This is cheating a bit as it was taken at the end of October...the view from our yard after a cool fall fog.

Brenda, your shots would make great screensavers!

Savona, hey you never know mud might be beautiful through the lens of a camera :) Just not on it !

• savona
    16 years ago

Tootsie that is a beautiful picture!..lovely view you have..savona

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Looks like fun Savona!

I can't see the pic xtreme, but glad you decided to join in. The pic problem has something to do with my internet provider or so I have been told....but it only seems to be some pics I can't see. Hopefully if they have that problem it will be fixed soon.

Sierra

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

This sure sounds like a fun assignment! I did take pics a while back but never got around to posting them yet... well here goes!

Ang
    ** better late then never ** 8^)

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

BTW I love everyone's pictures! This is really fun!

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ang, I think that's great. We were hoping that as people had time that they would feel free to contribute. With Christmas activities, winter vacations and kids' activities getting in the way there is bound to be others who will post later on also. If you wish to skip an assignment that is fine too. The assignments seem to be going over well and that is what Sierra and I wanted to happen. Let's make picture taking this winter challenging but lots of fun.

Brenda

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Ang, what a striking shot of those berries. The light was perfect!

Sierra, that's a bummer with your internet. I went through that too, but because I had dial up. Changed to satelite and haven't looked back.

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

Just about froze my fingers off trying to participate!
    November is winter here.

I was enjoying how the snow on the spruce boughs looked like bird feet,LOL.

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

North, I froze my fingers out there taking pics today too. I had one day this month that was without snow. The day I took the above pics. I've had snow ever since.

Nice pics, my favorite is the second one with the berries. Very pretty!

Sierra

• savona
    16 years ago

I really like the berry picture too.It looks like 2 hands with multiple fingers holding up handfuls of snow........ :-)..savona

• north53 Z2b MB
    16 years ago

That's too funny Savona! Now that you mention it, I see hands also. Marie