Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rain turned to ice pictures

Posted by valleyrimgirl 2b (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 7, 06 at 16:35

Ice is absolutely beautiful to look at, but awful to drive on or walk on. We, here in Brandon, had rain overnight and this morning we had a sheet of ice over everything. Tonight it is suppose to go up to 9C and stay about 7C tomorrow. So, hopefully the ice will have disappeared so that driving and walking are easier. I walked around the acreage this afternoon and took quite a few pictures. I would like to share some of them with you...

Burning bush on the east side of the greenhouse

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Closer up picture of the leaves

Lantern

Lantern bird feeder

Clematis leaves still clinging to the vine

Linden tree seeds still on the tree

Three liatris spikes with bergenia and siberian iris behind them.

A volunteer blue fescue grass in between the log stepping stones that are also covered with ice.

The first birdfeeder (out of 7 that are out there) that the birds empty. It is so pretty with the ice coming down. But it is now iced shut so unless it thaws it can not be filled up. I may have to bring it inside to de ice.

My DH replaced the poor clay/gravel infront of the house with some crushed gravel for better drainage. I love the bright colors in the gravel now.

Anyone else have any rain/ice lately?

Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rain turned to ice pictures

Beautiful pictures, Brenda! Nature sure can be dangerous and gorgeous at the same time.

We had freezing rain early Tuesday morning but I didn't have time to get any pictures 8^(

Last night we were under a freezing rain warning/watch again but from what I could see we got mostly snow. My crazy kids were hoping for a day off... but alas the bus showed up right on time this morning LOL. I have to head out in a few minutes so I'll get to see what they are like... good thing I don't have far to go today!

Ang

o

Beautiful pictures Brenda! Yes, our yard was like a skating rink too. DH had to take a hammer to the ice on the steps, deck and sidewalk to clear them. This was after he slipped and fell, of course.

Ang, your kids would have been jealous, because our buses didn't run for 2 days. My oldest son didn't even want to go this morning. I'm glad he did, as I need a break!LOL

o

Beautiful pictures Brenda.
We had the rain as well on Tuesday(not as much as you did) followed by 8" of snow Wednesday morning. It is a nightmare for the older folks. We ran into Saskatoon on Friday to do some X-mas shopping and seen 4 vehicles in the ditch and a semi and trailer on it's side. The roads were much better when we came home yesterday.
Shelley

o

Well, the ice melted and the snow is now basically all gone. We are having temperatures that are hovering just below or just above freezing for the highs each day and in the minus mid teens for the lows at night. I am thinking that if we do not get any snow this week that in the afternoons I may go do some more work in the perennial beds, cleaning more dead foliage off, so that there is less to do in the spring. I may even take the hedge trimmer and trim the cotoneaster hedge this week if it stays mild. Why not?

Brenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here