Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

Assignment #6

valleyrimgirl
16 years ago

Photography comes from two words...phos meaning light, and graphos, which means drawing. So, photography is like drawing with light. A photographer needs light to take pictures just like a painter needs paint.

So, this week's assignment is to take a look at how light 'lights up' the people and things around you. Light is what gives a photo its character and atmosphere. You can use artificial light, natural light or a combination of the two. As the position of the light moves, different shadows are created on the object of the photograph. Let's see some pictures taken using different lighting.

Sierra and Brenda

Comments (6)

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Drawing with light can mean a lot of things...it can mean front lighting, back lighting, side lighting. It can also mean the time of day....as the light changes through out the day. It also can mean, using an external flash, the onboard flash on your camera, a flash light or any other source of light you can think of.

I am showing some examples here of painting with light that I did this summer. This is only to point out some of the more creative things that can be done. The first two are solar lights in my garden. The last one I used a flash light to paint the scene.

{{gwi:725415}}

{{gwi:725417}}

{{gwi:725419}}

Sierra

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Here are a couple more photos where I was painting with light.....just showing somethings that can be done painting with light. Candle light gives off a beautiful golden glow to its surroundings. Notice also the heavy dark shadows.

{{gwi:725421}}

{{gwi:725423}}

In the first photo...is the front candle concidered back lit by the other two candles? If so, how can you tell or not tell?

In the second photo....is the first candle and holder back lit or side lit?

Sierra

• savona
    16 years ago

Well I finally went looking for light today, it was so mild and sunny.If I was a few decades younger I would have been chomping on these icicles instead of taking a picture of them...lol..savona
    {{gwi:725425}}
    {{gwi:725427}}

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Love the pictures, Sierra and Savonna.

I knew that this topic would be coming up so, when I was in Las Vegas 2 weeks ago I took lots of pictures and these are a few I took that show what lights can do...

At night the spotlights shining on this statue at Caesar's Palace really show the horses and their driver with his chariot.

The next two pictures were taken inside the Mirage, in front of one of the restaurants. These glass plants were top lit. The first picture is taken without a flash (its a little fuzzy...I needed a tripod) and shows the colors of the glass. The second with a flash captures more of the detail on the glass pieces but not the same color shows up.

The next two pictures were taken inside the Harrah hotel. Of course we had to go there to see Toby Keith's Bar and Grill. The first picture was taken with a flash and the auto setting...all the detail shows up.

I set the camera onto fireworks, which gives no flash but a longer exposure time and tried to hold still since I had no tripod with me. I like this picture also even though it is a little blurrier.

All day long the Bellagio hotel has a water feature set to music that plays every half hour or so. At night the water is lit up. Very well done show!

Of course, I realized that the light under the showcase shows the importance of the object (ice cream) it is lighting up. I took these with the auto setting and no flash. They were giving samples away of one of the ice creams shown below. Was it ever hard to choose which ones to try. I came back 3 times while wandering the area and tried...

the Fresh Pineapple...

and the Chocolate Mouse Pie and the Tiramsu. All were very very good!

Brenda

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

This is a really cool assignment! Very fun and interesting pictures posted so far.

Just as I was wondering what to do for this assignment I noticed that my Christmas Tree would fit the bill for this one!

Anyways, I just took these a few minutes ago...

and this one is "my" ornament for this year.

We have a tradition that each of us buys a new ornament for each year and it sure is fun to see what the kids pick out for themselves. As you can see one kid loves Sponge Bob and one is into Scooby Doo.... and that's just the half of it for this year (b/c I have 4 kids!) LOL

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Brenda, I think I gained 10 pounds just looking at those pictures of the dessert bar! Great pictures everybody, and I sure am learning to pay way more attention to what's in my view finder.

Since we seem to have a bit of a Christmas theme going, here's a pic of my urn arrangement for the season.

By day:
    {{gwi:725464}}

And by night....more dramatic I think.
    {{gwi:725468}}

Since it was a nice sunny day today, I took a pic of this painting with the sun shining on the front.
    {{gwi:725473}}

And now back-lit by the sun.