Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valleyrimgirl

assignment #7

valleyrimgirl
16 years ago

With this assignment we are going to have a lot of fun using reflections.

Most of us put a lot of effort into getting nice clear precise images for our photographs. But if we look at a reflection, instead of sharpness we get an abstract picture because there are now blurred images, and distorted and elongated objects.

Lots of objects can reflect an image, from store front windows and mirrored buildings to puddles in a driveway to glass balls on a Christmas tree. Even glasses placed on a shiny table top can be mirrored. When there is air movement, a pond can become a reflective pool of water but it will make a very abstract hazy image of the real object. In the summer, there are lots of pictures we can take using reflections in water whether of the sunset at a lake or trees reflecting into a river, but let's see how our imagination can be used now in this time of year.

We will not be posting an assignment next week, due to the busyness of the Christmas break. Hope everyone has a safe and happy Christmas and let's see those mirrored images!

Sierra and Brenda

Comments (11)

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

Well, this one was too easy! I took this one yesterday when I was taking all the others of my Christmas Tree....

This assignment is so fun though so I may have to keep looking around at reflective surfaces to take pics of!

Ang

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yesterday as I was going through and labelling the 2007 pictures, I got to March 29 and found these pictures. I took them in our yard, just before the ground thawed and all the water soaked away.

So, three months from now...we could have spring!!!

Brenda

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

Here's my shot. I took some with and without the flash. Without the flash the photo showed the whole room lighted up and reflected in the window (and it was messy so I didn't post it!) and with the flash it only reflected the poinsetta then penetrated the window and picked up the snow outside...learn somthin' new everyday!

{{gwi:725861}}

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Ok, here's what I've come up with....

{{gwi:725864}}

{{gwi:725867}}

I wanted to get the reflection of sky and snow in the glass ball, but found it extremely hard to keep myself out of the reflection! I bet I took at least 30 pictures at different angles, and this was the best out of the bunch, but you can still see a portion of me there.

The reflection of the amaryllis turned out to be pretty funky looking.....it must be the triple pane window making it into 3 separate images.

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Great pics everyone!!!

I've been slowed down a bit lately, but will hopefully catch up with the assignments soon.

Xtreme, that is what these assignments are about...trying new things and learning as we go.

Laurie, the solution to get yourself out of the reflection is to use a tri-pod and the timer on your camera.....or a remote cable release.
    Your reflection of the Amaryllis is very good....looks like an impressionists painting. We usually get that effect with multiple exposures.....who would have known a triple pain window would work as well. :)

Sierra

• Laurie_z3_MB
    16 years ago

Doh! Using the timer would have been thinking on my part!lol I did use a tripod, and tried moving as far to the side as I could.......but using the timer would have been better if I had thought of it. Oh well, next time.

• CrazyDaisy_68
    16 years ago

We are spending the holidays in the Lower Mainland with my Hubby's parents... and yes, it has been raining/snowing since we landed here a week ago!

The interesting side of seeing rain again is having puddles to take reflection pictures in...

• sierra_z2b
    16 years ago

Well for this one, I tried something different. The reflections worked pretty good on this one. :)

{{gwi:725872}}

Sierra

• valleyrimgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

This morning it is extremely cold here... -30C with the wind chill at -48C. But, when I looked outside what a beautiful sight I saw. A sundog!!

I googled and ...

A sun dog or sundog (scientific name parhelion) is a relatively common atmospheric optical phenomenon associated with the reflection/refraction of sunlight by the numerous small ice crystals that make up cirrus or cirrostratus clouds.

So, it fits perfectly into this assignment.

Brenda

• badaub
    16 years ago

I believe the very distorted reflections of the boats and light posts make this a decent photo?? Interested in your comments?

• xtreme_gardener
    16 years ago

These two photos were taken early last spring soon after snow melt. I really like how you can see the leaves in the pool as well as the trees in the reflection.

badaub...I really picked up on the boat and tree shadow reflections with the ripples in the water. The lights reflected drew my eye to the water as well.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz