Plants & Misc that start with 'C' 2008 Photos

Crazy_Gardener
15 years ago

Let's C your C's!

Comments (15)

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sharon, I love the idea you had of making a list in Word or Word Perfect in your computer and starting the thread in there. I started doing that this week and love it. I even copied out the Photobucket pictures HTML code and so, now all I have to do is copy and paste this document into the Far North thread.

So, letÂs see which CÂs I found here in my yard this summer.

This 3" long caterpillar was climbing up one of the Amur maple trees on Aug 31, 2008. I love all its bumps and knobs on its back.

Here is another caterpillar I found crawling on the gravel in front of the garage on Sept 13.

Little kidÂs chair I got at a garage sale two summers ago. I have started stripping and will be revarnishing so as to be weatherproof. I want it to go on the deck or in the landscaping to place a potted plant on. Notice in the background the new kitchen cupboards my DH is making for us.

{{gwi:726024}}

These crowÂs eggs were in a nest that my 20 year old son decided to raid one weekend when he was home. I am glad he did. Crows are not a bird I want around my acreage. They chase all the little birds away and besides, they make an awful squawking noise. I gave the eggs to Laurie and her youngest took them to school for show and tell.

In my bathroom, on the narrow ledge of the window, I have a little container of ball cactus of some sort. The large one bloomed in April this past year. Very pretty!

Clematis are all over the acreage. I have them planted against the house, on lone trellises in the middle of flowerbeds, at the base of trees and shrubs. Here is Capitaine Thuilleaux. It is planted at the base of a tower poplar and I hope that it will do well there.

Last spring I went to a friendÂs pasture and took lots and lots of pictures of crocus. The pastures were just purple with them for as far as I could see. I took Laurie with me also and we had a great time photographing the crocus using the old barn and old machinery, that were in the pasture, in the background of some of the pictures. Of course, we had to be careful as to where we stepped as there were cow pies all over the pasture. Of course, the best clumps of crocus always seemed to be in the midst of a cow pie.

{{gwi:703697}}

My Cistena Cherry blooms each spring. Here is one of its flowers from the spring of 2008.

The coleus containers at the front steps were exceptional this year. I will definitely be doing the same thing next summer. This picture was taken in the end of July.

This picture taken on Sept 1, 2008.

Now, for some daylilies...

Calgary Stampede is a daylily I had to get because years ago, we went to Calgary to visit friends and went to the Calgary Stampede while we were there....

{{gwi:650802}}

Chance Encounter is a beautiful pink daylily with a gold edge.

Cherry Cheeks

{{gwi:650808}}

Chicago Star Daylily is a nice golden color.

{{gwi:650815}}

Cindy Merindy is a daylily I got specifically because I have a friend named Cindy.

{{gwi:650821}}

Clove Dianthus has baby pink flowers. This picture is a little sun drenched. Next year I need to take a picture of it on a cloudy day.

Hosta...There will be a lot more in years to come because of acquiring over 100 new ones this year.

Christmas Tree

Color Glory

Irises...

CaesarÂs Brother Siberian iris...

Caraboo iris, SDB is a little fuzzy. Note to self...get a new clearer picture next summer.

CasperÂs Shadow, SDB

Cee Jay iris, IB is a white iris with a purple edge. I got it from a girlfriend in 2007.

Chalk Mark iris, SDB

Cherry iris, MTB

Cherry Garden iris, SDB

{{gwi:682612}}

Cherry Web iris, SDB, was a new trade from 2007. I love this pink and burgundy intro from Chuck Chapman. The picture isnÂt the best. It looks a bit fuzzy...so I will retake it next year again.

Chilled Wine Siberian iris

Chubby Cheeks iris, SDB

Cimaroon Rose iris, SDB

Clash iris, SDB

Comeback Trail iris, SDB

Court Magician iris, SDB

Crimson Snow TB iris

Cup Cake iris, MDB

Now for some lilies...

Centerfold lily...

Cheeky Monkey is a light salmon orange color.

Cocktail Twins with its first bloom.

Plectranthus I bring in for the winter. The Cuban Oregano is on my kitchen window ledge. I have now transplanted it out of the clay pot and into a larger plastic one, hoping that it wonÂt dry out as quickly now as it used to.

The Champlain Rose I bought in 2007 and it bloomed nicely for me last summer.

Sempervivums....

CaliphÂs Hat looks great in front of DragonÂs Blood Sedum...

Clothilde Semp

Cresta Semp

Crispyn Semp

C is for Cupboards. My DH has slowly been making us a set of new maple kitchen cupboards. We are just varnishing them with a Satin Varnish. This is a view of the right of the sink. I will post more pictures of the new kitchen when we get to the KÂs in the alphabet.

ThatÂs it for now. Hope you enjoyed the tour....

Brenda

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Brenda, lovely photos once again, have I told you that I just cant wait for Spring!

Nice kitchen cupboards there, I have Maple ones too!

{{gwi:726084}}
    {{gwi:726087}}
    Cacti Indoor

Crabapple Malus x 'Thunderchild' Ornamental

{{gwi:704118}}

Crocus

Centaurea montana

Clematis Ville De Lyon

CLEMATIS tangutica Golden Clematis - DH is making me a new steel heart shape trellis next season. We had a windstorm and the old wooden one toppled over

Clematis 'Jackmani' growing thru a climbing rose

Cypripedium parviflorum (Cypripedium calceolus) Yellow Lady's-slipper, thanks Shelley!

Campanula persicfolia Alba

CAMPANULA punctata

Campanula glomerata Clustered Bellflower

Cerastium alpinum lanatum Wooly Cerastium

Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Overdam'

Carex muskingumensis 'Oehme'

Calamagrostis × acutiflora Karl Foerster
    Cherry Tidal Wave Petunias in the whiskey barrel

Crambe cordifolia

Chrysanthemum x morifolium Tigertail

Chrysanthemum weyrichii - some years this perennial does not bloom due to early frost, however this Fall was a good one for fall perennials

Cornus sericea Red Osier Dogwood berries

Castor Bean Seed Heads

Crabapples

Clarkia amoena

Collinsia heterophylla Chinese Houses - sow once and you'll have them every year

Cleome serrulata Rocky Mountain Bee Plant

{{gwi:696892}}
    Crataegus Hawthorn in the Fall

Cranes

Cynara cardunculus Silver Leaf Giant Cardoon and Cherry Tidal Wave Petunias

Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

CHICAGO RUBY Daylily

CHESAPEAKE CRAB LEG Daylily

CHEVRON SPIDER Daylily

CRANAPPLE BB Iris

CO-ED FLIRT SDB Iris

CHERRY TART SDB Iris

CAMEO QUEEN SDB Iris

{{gwi:702538}}
    CANDY APPLE SDB Iris

COUNTING SHEEP SDB Iris

CHARTREUSE BOUNTY Siberian Iris

{{gwi:716894}}
    CRIMSON SNOW TB Iris

CARNIVAL IN RIO TB Iris

Condamine Asiatic Lily

Centerfold Asiatic Lily

Cannes Asiatic Lily

Celine Asiatic Lily

Corsage Asiatic Lily

Coral Sunrise Asiatic Lily

Connecticut King

Cancun Asiatic Lily

Cappuccino Tango Asiatic Lily

Conca D'or OT Lily

cernuum album Lilium

Coral Supreme Peony

Champlain Rose

{{gwi:704122}}
    CARMEN Sempervivum

Enjoy,
    Sharon

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:726195}}
    {{gwi:726197}}
    I forgot Christmas tree!

Merry Christmas!
    Sharon

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

Please don't give up on us laggers! Lovely photos as always ladies.
    Cranesbill and Columbine

Catmint "Walker's Low" Love this plant!

Columbine "Goldfinch" that's always been a beautiful pure white.

Crabapple buds...Thunderchild Ornamental Crab. I was very excited to have this bloom for me! Just planted it in 2007.

Creeping Phlox

Cranesbill "American"

Coreopsis ...I think? Could someone confirm this? I've seeded it a couple times and this finally came up but I'm not sure if that's where I seeded it and I'm sure it was "Moonbeam" which is a lighter yellow. Hmmmm.

Clematis...thank you Marcia! Seeds from the seed box :) I hope it grows like yours Sharon!

And these are little(well not so little really) Clematis eating something or others...they came, they ate, they left :(

My little unknown caterpillar

• valleyrimgirl
    15 years ago

The clematis eating something or other....

The Blister Beetle. Squish as many as you can, but not with your bare hands...thus the Blister Beetle. They love my pasque flowers and this past year I found more in my yard than ever before, crawling on the ground in various places. They fly in to my flowerbeds from who knows where and in the past I usually found them at night, although this summer I found some during the day. In the past I would kill all one year and not have any the next. Last year I killed all, but had lots and lots this year...hmmmm...did they come in from the valley or the farmer's field??? Good picture of them! They play dead if disturbed. Their larvae eat the grasshopper larvae but...the adults strip plants totally of their foliage...thus why I step on and kill all I see.

There is an article on them at...

http://extension.missouri.edu/agconnection/newsletters/is-98-08.htm

and at...

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/news/sty/2003/blister_beetles073103.htm

Brenda

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

Oh thank you for the ID Brenda! They were only interested in the clematis this time, but totally stripped about three of them. This is the first time I've seen them in my garden, so who knows where they came from and if they were out in the hay fields, why did they wait four years for me to finally have a clematis? Weird. I'll for sure get after them this season. Its good to find out which bugs tend to go nuts and which don't. There were maybe 20 or so that I saw. I'll check out the articles over coffee tomorrow :)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    15 years ago

I had them too, Toots, eating that same clematis. They were on some other things too, but i can't remember offhand what. I've seen them on potato plants too. Nasty little things!

• xtreme_gardener
    15 years ago

You know we did have a fairly strong 'hopper' year (we haven't for a few years now) as well so I imagine I'll be seeing the beetles again this year. They're hard to miss!
    Looks like there are a lot of different spp. of Blister Beetles and these ones are the Short Winged Blister Beetle or Oil Blister Beetle.

• i_heart_flowers
    15 years ago

Found a fews C's as well!

Clematis Etoile Rose

Clematis Jackmanii

Clematis Mrs. P.T. James - first time flowering for this one. It apparently has double flowers in June and then singles later in the year. I'm soooo looking forward to June!

Clematis Princess Diana - the one and only bloom that wasn't eaten by something :(

Cosmos Double Click

Cup & Saucer Vine

All for now!

• i_heart_flowers
    15 years ago

Found a few more!

Cote D Azur

Centerfold

Cannes

Catherine Woodbury

Chives

Sharon, how come my Cannes lily looks so different? Do I have the wrong tag again? :( Oh well.....

I Flowers!

• savona
    15 years ago

Lovely "C"s everyone8-)
    2007 I started several types of columbine from seed, I was very happy with them The red and purple winky columbine seeds came from a friend
    red winky columbine

purple winky columbine

blue winky columbine (I bought this one from WM last spring)

Light blue tower columbines they seemed to have a couple different forms

Alpine blue columbine..got the seed from the winky friend

I bought this columbine form our local box store and it was just labeled "white columbine" I love the neat nodding flowers

Pink Flamingo alpina clematis

Jackmanii clematis (I believe it is a superba)

chrysanthemum "coconut ice"

Jean

• Crazy_Gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous photos everybody!!!!!!!! This is so great to see more action happening instead of just Brenda and I ;)

ILF, yes, not the same, your Cannes lily look more yellow, where did you buy them from? They should be a pastel soft peach colour.
    Love that huge cup&saucer bloom! Wow!

Keep those photos coming in gals!

Sharon
    Won't be long till April arrives ;)

• i_heart_flowers
    15 years ago

They came from Veseys. But now looking through my pictures I have this one tagged as Tavello which I bought at the same time...

This looks a little more like yours. Maybe I tagged them wrong! Think I better stop moving things around the yard.

LOL! Ya the Cup & Saucer IS huge!! The silly vine looked like it was dying from the bottom up when I planted it after starting the seeds way too early in the house. I figured for sure it was toast! It just covered the arbor it was on - bloomed like crazy in September right up till snow! You just never know what you're gonna get! Oh no, that's chocolates.... ; )

• prairierose
    15 years ago

I have 4 photos at work - I sent them to myself to use as desktop backgrounds - so I thought I might as well post them. Here's the first one.
    Connie

Clematis

• Joan Dupuis
    14 years ago

OMG you guys have the most amazing iris, lilies and columbine. I need to check out the rest of the alphabet. I may be back to ask some of you where to get some of these.

Joan