Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
savona_gw

First sprout

savona
12 years ago

Two of my grand daughters helped sow some geranium seeds yesterday and one has germinated today...let the growing season begin!

Jean

Comments (12)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    12 years ago

Just checked my granddaughter's petunia container - nothing yet!

• northspruce
    12 years ago

We decided to plant cat grass for the cats - it just sprouted this morning! I love sprouts.

12 years ago

The petunias were up yesterday. I need to take a picture of them for her. :)

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

I recall sowing some seed a few years ago, can't remember what it was (actually, may have been geraniums), but they germinated almost overnight - sounds like yours are the same.

A couple of my pepper seeds have germinated. Hmm, I planted more than I need thinking that the seed is 2 years old and maybe not as viable. Maybe they still are. Oh well, they're the long sweet italian type, not sure if I could land up with too many, especially since I only recently discovered how good roasted peppers are.

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I never thought to check what my fastest sprouts were, but according to my database I've had Dianthus deltoides and some annual asters sprout in 2 days. That would be root emergence with surface sowing, I guess. I have also had lupines sprout in 2 days when they were nicked or sanded.

12 years ago

The petunias are doing well, about 3/4" high already. And my granddaughter also gave out Valentines with seeds in them, in one of those little fibre mat type things - don't know what kind of seeds they are but there was a sprout today. :)

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

Those petunias should be a nice size by the time May rolls around, Marcia. I'm going to sow my petunias tomorrow, I think. Also some white onion and the gazanias.

22 of 25 pepper seeds germinated and I moved them off the heat today. The pulsatilla have not germinated at all - might have to put them in the fridge for a while.

• savona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now I can quit obcessing about the Raspberry Ripple geraniums that did not germinate and move on to what is popping up in the containers. I have bell peppers, holly hocks, dahlias, lupins and osteospermums up. I see the stevia and foxy foxgloves are starting today too.There is no "easing in" to seed sowing season, a person jumps in with both feet 8-)
    Jean

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

Wow, sounds good, Jean. Too bad about your geraniums not germinating, that's disappointing.

I ordered some hollyhock seed - the Halo Mix from William Dam. I didn't even think about starting them early, but it makes sense if I want to (maybe) see some blooms this year.

My day didn't quite go as planned today so I didn't start the petunias and gazanias. Maybe tomorrow...

• northspruce
    12 years ago

I planted two more types of hot peppers today, and petunias. I've also been putting out some winter sowing. I've done cleome, Smilax herbacea, calendula, echinacea and milkweed.

• savona
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is a bummer about the Raspberry Ripple geraniums, all the salmon ones I sowed 6 out of 6 came up all 4 of the Orange Appeal came up but only 2 of the 4 Deep Scarlet ones germinated. Of course I wanted the Raspberry ones the most. Tomorrow I am going to sow the trailing petunias and a few other things like Rudbeckias.
    Jean

• Pudge 2b
    12 years ago

It always seems the ones that don't germinate (at all or well) are the ones wanted the most, lol. Somehow, though, it always seems to come together and looks wonderful when they all start blooming.

I planted the petunias on the 20th, and all of the Ramblin Sugar Plum germinated within 4 days. The others were not so quick but looks like all 4 varieties will have good germination. I did not have such good germination last year but this year I'm using Stokes seed.

The gazanias are also starting to poke thru. For some reason I didn't remember having to start them dark and cool in the past, but I followed the seed packet instructions and they are starting within a week so I'm not going to question that. The ones that have germinated are very pale but looks like the rest are ready to poke thru so I moved them to the light.

You must be right about the Dianthus having fast germination, Gil. I had some harvested seed for one very nice variety that I decided to sow and it was up in 2 days. The plant was originally from a Gardens North seed mix but I'm pretty sure it could not have pollinated with any other dianthus at the time so I'm hoping it will come true. Time will tell.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor