Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you heat your greenhouse?

Posted by paininthepetunia 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 0:35

I have a small 10X10 plastic (peavy Mart) greenhouse. My goal is to move some seedlings out at the end of Feb or beginning of April. I think I will have to heat it for a moth or so at night. What are some of the options available to heat a greenhouse that size? The more economical the better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you heat your greenhouse?

I have used a Colman RV propane heater, ...then moving my plants later and later out in spring, hardly needed any heat, I just use a electric base board heater, put double plastic up for more insulation.

o

I'm a long ways from moving anything out yet, but in the spring when I start using my greenhouse, I keep a 5 gallon pail of water in each corner to help keep the temp from dropping too low overnight. I've done pop can solar heaters as well, but they sometimes get too hot through the day. It'll keep the greenhouse 5-10 degrees higher than outside overnight.

Here is a link that might be useful: pop can solar heater instructions

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 11, 13 at 19:49

I've never done it but I've heard of people using the solar blankets that you use for a swimming pool.

o

• Posted by savona z2bBCCanada (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 15:46

My green house it too large to heat with an electrical heater but I have used a propane tank with a heater attachment along with the wood heater when we have had lows of under minus twenty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here