Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadian_rose

bare root roses

canadian_rose
15 years ago

Hi

I just moved to Calgary after having to give up my 50 rose bushes. So now I have a large yard, but I don't want to spend a fortune on roses this year with the recession. So ... I'm probably going to order BARE ROOT ROSES from Pickering, unless anyone has a better idea of a place to order from?

I've never had bare root roses before.

1. Are they feasible in our colder climates/short growing season?

2. Will I get flowers the first summer?

3. If I do get flowers the first summer will I have to wait until September?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Carol from Calgary

Comments (11)

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

Walmart had roses for $8-$10 last year. Canadian Tire also had them on sale for around that much.

Edward's Garden Centre is typically the cheapest of the garden centres, at around $18.

• ljpother
    15 years ago

It's a little late to get cuttings from your roses if you've moved; but I was able to start roses from cuttings. I wanted to keep some of my mother-in-law's roses after she died. I rooted them using mini green houses (plastic jugs) in a shaded spot in the garden. Success varied from 100% to 0. It seems to be about 3 years to bloom. You could start with a selection of explorers (or similar own root rose) and use cuttings to fill out your garden. It'll take a while, but it's cheap.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shazam - I want specific roses and a lot of them. I like to research the ones I get, etc. So spur of the minute Walmart would take most of the fun out of it. :) But, you're right - that's a great price!!

lipother - yeah, I don't think I'm up for that intensive work ;) Congratulations on your success - I'm impressed!!!

Carol

• shazam_z3
    15 years ago

canadian rose,

Yup, I know what you mean.

Both Golden Acre and Greengate have their plant catalogues online if you want to know what the garden centres sell around here.

Golden Acre's catalogue

Greengate's catalogue

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    15 years ago

Hi Carol,
    I lived in Calgary for many years and had no problem growing roses from bare root. Even pushed the zone with good winter protection. I now am back in Edmonton and have ordered MANY roses from both Pickerings and Hortico. Had mostly sucess from both and flowers the first year. I have planted in pots and directly into the ground. I have also bought from Walmart, Rona and Canadian Tire. I did my research on the internet with rose suppliers, and rose societies just with the names of the varieties. There is a sight in Calgery that specializes in growing roses in Calgary . I wish I could remember the name of it. I just found it through Google and growing roses in cold climates. There are some real beauties out there now and many are pretty tough. Try the Rose Forum on this site. Our fellow gardeners have LOTS of experience. Hope this helps.
    Welcome to Alberta!

Ginny Garden
    Gairden's Shelties
    Edmonton

• leo_prairie_view
    15 years ago

Nice to have another serious rose grower on this forum. All of my roses have been bare root, and most own root which I consider necessary here in the north except when I don't want a rose to sucker. For more information on roses in Calgary you might look at the posts by Riku, mostly on the antique rose forum. Then I would strongly recommend you look at Sheila Holmes site. She is in Rocky Mountain House and sells Robert Erskine's roses.

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!!! :)

My husband just told me we have a 70% chance of going back to Fort McMurray within the next month. We lived there for 8 years, then moved to Edmonton for 5, now Calgary for 5 months, and soon probably Fort McMurray AGAIN!!!!!!!

How am I supposed to get an established garden being married to this man!!!! This will be our 8th move!!!!!

ZONE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm going to stop looking for roses, since I have no idea where we will be yet.

This is very hard.

Carol

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    15 years ago

I can relate Carol,
    I moved 11 times across provinces when my daughter was between the ages of 3 and 14! I am now living back in the house I grew up in and taking care of my aging father. I have gardened on this lot all my life off and on. And I ain't gonna move no more, no more! I will be here watering my 182 peonies and 69 roses when hell freezes over! And if my DH wants to move, he'll be doin it without me!

There are roses that grow well in zone 2............
    And more choices than ever.

Good luck and keep thinking postive.

Ginny garden

• canadian_rose
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ginny!!!

I feel your pain :)

You've been a martyr with your moving!!! Isn't it awful, never getting to see a mature flower garden!!! This sucks!!!

I've just posted another thread about advice on roses for zone 2. Do you have any suggestions?

Good luck with your dad.

Carol

• cjboutte_comcast_net
    15 years ago

$6.00 USD today at Walmart. I hope thjis helps.

• greenbug
    15 years ago

Went on a spree that I hope I don't regret : bought 8 bare root roses from Walmart 7 for $ 4.00 and 1 for $ 6.00.
    Climbing Americas, Climbing Don Juan, Climbing Blaze, Gold medal, Queen Elizabeth,Oklahoma and others.
    I have to go to work tomorrow. Hope they will be fine in the garage - it must be about 40 degrees in there. Can they wait a couple of days?

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure