Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freezengirl_gw

How do you organize your seeds?

freezengirl
13 years ago

I am just wondering how everyone else organizes their seeds from year to year. I have for the most part kept mine in envelopes inside freezerbags, then in the fridge. It is an okay system but it can get out of control quite quickly. I don't know if I will use them or not, but I have been saving my medication bottles. They should work well for seeds that I save/collect in larger amounts, yet they would take up even more room.

Any thoughts to share?

Comments (9)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Mine are in little baggies in a small rubbermaid container. I don't keep mine in the fridge.

• northspruce
    13 years ago

Same, in small ziplock bags in a fancy box from some gift I got once. No fridge here either.

• nutsaboutflowers
    13 years ago

I've never collected seeds but I'm going to try this year.

I just bought a book from Seeds of Diversity Canada, How To Save Your Own Seeds =:)

Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was only for vegetable seeds, but I'm hoping the principles are the same.

• bdgardener
    13 years ago

Mine are in small bags too, then in larger baggies organized basically according to when I plant. All root veg together, leafy greens, tomatoes peppers together. Flowers organized similarly, What needs to be started under lights in what ever month and what will get planted outside ect. And then they are in a large rubermaid, no fridge. If I do it this way I find I don't forget what needs to be done. And when I find pkg at the local feed store in Feb I won't forget I have them. Does that make sense? Cheryl

• petunia2
    13 years ago

My system is similar to others, and adapted a bit since I start quite a few plants under lights. I think of it as the "shoe box filing system" -- with the envelopes or small bags grouped behind tabs according to the number of weeks needed to grow the different seeds, from 16 weeks down to 3 or 4. Once planting really gets going, I find this helpful in organizing what needs to be started when.

Once a year, I go through all the bags and envelopes and update an alphabetical list of the seeds on hand. This is helpful in making sure I don't buy or order duplicates.

• trisha_51
    13 years ago

Good ideas. I organize mine by whether they are 'cool' weather seeds or 'need greenhouse'. I think I may switch to using 'dates until planting' though.

• savona
    13 years ago

I have plastic file folders that I have labeled for each month and then break down what I want to start each week and put those seed packets together in baggies. I always refer back to my garden journal and sometimes I start seeds later or sometimes earlier depending on the results over the last few years.I leave my seed folders in a cloth shopping bag and keep is out of the sunlight....Jean

• freezengirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Some very good ideas here. I know my old system will be totally inadequate for the sheer volume of seeds this year.

• bdgardener
    13 years ago

I like the divider idea, I think I might have to rig something up like that too. I use a spreadsheet as my journal. It is easy to make notes and changes and add varieties under categories. It is easy to start a new year, just by copying and pasting. C

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?