Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andres_zone3

Waterlilies and Lotus in the prairies

andres_zone3
10 years ago

Happy New Year to everyone, I know summer is far away but I was wondering who has had success with waterlilies and lotus in the prairies, Anyone have a pond or a tub. I do not have room for a pond but was thinking of having a tub/large container for a waterlily or lotus this summer. My question is how do they do here? Any reliable bloomers? Where can I get them for cheaper than $40-45 dollars? Anyone have pics to share.

Comments (23)

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

I've been trying, others here might chime in, here a thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: They really do

• squirelette
    10 years ago

I have a pond that I run a heater in over the winter, too lazy to drag all the fish and plants in and out. In my last place I just had a little preform that would freeze solid over the winter and the hardy plants survived. The other option which I did with less hardy plants was to pull them out and put them in the fridge over the winter, or a cold room if you have one. I will have lilies to trade come spring, they are hardy but are the bigger ones so might be too big for a tub. Also some yellow flag iris. If you are interested keep me in mind

• beegood_gw
    10 years ago

I tired lilies but they never really got to the blooming stage. Last years are still in the pond so of course are toast. Oh I forgot I got one white blossom.

• squirelette
    10 years ago

you might be surprised I sure was on occasion. Having the heater makes a difference for sure I had my first bud come up in April last year. The hardier the lily the better it winters and the faster it grows I find that the 2 I bought from the garden center took about 3 years to really get going. That would be the benefit of a tub you can start them early by bringing them into the light and getting them started very early. As for the lotus I do not think they would be easily successful out here they require a long growing season to bloom which even in vancouver area is hard to pull off. I have never had the guts to try them so I don't really know but I remember the garden club discussions from when I lived out there

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

Interesting, Squirelette
    how big is your pond and how deep.
    Good snow cover this winter should save my lilies,..I hope!
    How many watts is your heater?

• kioni
    10 years ago

I think a longer summer period is needed to be successful with lotus. Sure looks tempting if it could be done! If you find a lotus that will do well, please share. Someone on the pond forum bought the dried arrangements in a local big box or craft shop that contained a dried lotus flower with seeds, and germinated a plant(s) from that! Can't find the thread on that occasion tho'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lotus in a barrel: so alluring!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

Many waterlily varieties are easy to grow in this climate and don't require a lot of fussing, though benefit from by being given some particular attention. In early spring, as soooon as the snow is gone, mine are set out in an above ground tank. I do not use a heater, though I drape and secure heavy grade clear plastic over the pond that REALLY helps to warm the water. Blooms are then quickly produced by the second or third week in May.

The problem with container grown waterlilies is that most varieties are sooo vigorous and need large pots that are extremely heavy to lift! For smaller more easily managed containers, I recommend the selection of semi compact growing varieties such as 'Gloriosa' and 'Laydeckeri Fulgens, both of these reds have less aggressive growing rootstocks, though are super heavy flowering and will not break your back when you must pack the pots in and out of the pond.

Plants need to be divided every few years and really appreciate being fed, just pop the plants out of their pots and sprinkle a bit of that slow release coated stuff in the bottom, triple 20 works great! For winter storage, I place mine in a cold room where they're kept under water. You don't want them to be freeze solid, as some varieties are tender to being frozen and will perish, others are more resilient and tough.

Here's 'Perry's Double Yellow', a poor name for an exceptionally beautiful variety, it's a big vigorous grower not so well suited for smaller ponds. This downsized photo does not do it justice, these blooms are at least 6 inches across. Terrance

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

'Peaches and Cream' ... a vigorous grower and bloomer, an excellent choice variety.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

The compact growing, very heavy blooming Laydeckeri Fulgens.

• Markrjc
    10 years ago

WOW, those are amazingly beautiful and so very prolific, thank you for sharing the wonderful photos :)

This post was edited by markrjc on Fri, Jan 10, 14 at 3:09

• beegood_gw
    10 years ago

WOW What beautiful lilies. Might be tempted to give it another try. Wish I had a bigger pond. Like dug into the ground rather than a plastic liner

• Konrad___far_north
    10 years ago

I knew Terry would fill in, and yes you did with a wonderful show!

• kioni
    10 years ago

Okay now, I wish for either. . .

a) I had a pond and the necessary knowledge to grow water lilies,

Or

b) lived next door to Terry with my deck situated in a manner that I could relax in my chair and gaze upon Terry's pond without any sacrifice made to the seclusion and privacy that is deserved by him and his family!

Beautiful photos of beautiful plants.
    Thanks!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

kioni ... thank you for the nice message, if you have the room, then I think you should get at least one waterlily, they really are not difficult at all to grow! For those that live nearby to Edmonton (I'm at Spruce Grove), I could make a few potted waterlilies available for a reasonable price or trade some nice plants with me or just bring a big blueberry cheesecake, lol. We welcome and enjoy many visitors to the our yard and people always gravitate to the waterliles and ask many questions regarding their culture.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

Waterlilies are especially enjoyable when grown in an above ground pool, in this case an aluminum stock tank that itself doesn't actually look too bad. Most waterliies are rather highly fragrant and when grown in such a manner it's easy to get up close and personal with the beautiful blooms.

• Markrjc
    10 years ago

Okay, I'm envious, I love your photos ... just look at all those blooms! How many different varieties do you grow?

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

My pond is so tiny (35 gallons, i think), that i don't think it would support a waterlily. I do have a fake one that my granddaughter likes to throw in! :>

Wanted to mention, Terry, that the 'Peaches and Cream' picture was GW's photo of the day a few days ago. That's twice that's happened with your pictures!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    10 years ago

I'm kinda embarrassed to say that over the years I've grown and tested at least 60 different varieties, lol ... of course, not all at the time, I think 20 was the most I had on the go at any one time, but that's way toooo many for any individual to handle, unless they're just planted directly in the bottom of an earthen pond. Many years ago, I had also supplied one gallon plants to greenhouses, that number was at times 100 plants. But, It became too much work and my health had gone into steep decline, so I had needed to stop the wholesale aspect and also cut way back on my potted specimen plants, I now only have about six.

Marcia, that small pond of yours could easily fit 'Laydeckeri Fulgens' or 'Gloriosa' and many of the dwarf and compact growing types. They adjust to the small size of the pool and will bloom their heads off if given full sun. Thanks for letting me know of the 'Peaches and Cream' photo having been featured :)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    10 years ago

Well, I'll have to look at the nursery this summer to see if there's a dwarf variety there. What do you do with yours during the winter?

• squirelette
    10 years ago

I have the pink and white varieties of Marliac lilies the are very hardy and quite vigorous which means I have to divide them every 2nd year bad for blooms but keeps them in check. I would love a Laydeckri Fulgens or Peaches and Cream I will bug you in the spring. My pond is small about 7'x5'x2' and the heater is a stock tank heater I picked up about 7 years ago from Princess Auto no idea about the watts but for $60.00 It does the job

• andres_zone3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful pics Terry. I have been reading about tropical water lilies and they sure are spectacular. I wonder how they would do here in Edmonton. Of course they would probably be annuals.

• reneez2
    10 years ago

Gorgeous photos! I agree that Layderiki fulgens does well. It managed to bloom in my half barrel in that miserable summer last year. They are small but many. The limiting factor for tropical waterlily and lotuses is cool summers. Waterlily Dauben is said to tolerate cool water. I'm trying to grow Siberian lotus from seeds this Summer. It's rare and from the Amur region. It apparently can tolerate cooler temperature. You can check it out, Nelumbo komarovii, on Google. Probably more suited to southern Alberta than Northern Ontario, but that's the challenge of pushing hardiness zones.Wish me luck!

Andres-3, did you check www.bbcreek.ca ?
    They are a Prairie nursery specializing in water gardens.

• reneez2
    10 years ago

Gorgeous photos! I agree that Layderiki fulgens does well. It managed to bloom in my half barrel in that miserable summer last year. They are small but many. The limiting factor for tropical waterlily and lotuses is cool summers. Waterlily Dauben is said to tolerate cool water. I'm trying to grow Siberian lotus from seeds this Summer. It's rare and from the Amur region. It apparently can tolerate cooler temperature. You can check it out, Nelumbo komarovii, on Google. Probably more suited to southern Alberta than Northern Ontario, but that's the challenge of pushing hardiness zones.Wish me luck!

Andres-3, did you check www.bbcreek.ca ?
    They are a Prairie nursery specializing in water gardens.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting