Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
the visitor is back!

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 8:42

We don't often get to see this but when we do it's a pleasure to see them. This Snow Owl stayed in position for about 3 hours, never moving. I thought it might be after the song birds but it didn't even pay attention to the birds flying around. Maybe he just needed a rest? Marg
Snow Owl photo IMG_1546_zpsa3ae1983.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: the visitor is back!

Odd place for a rest. I would have chosen the tree next to it, snuggled among the thicker branches! Fantastic to see, though!

o

They are such beautiful birds and you are lucky to see one. I think they eat mostly ground critters like mice , voles and stuff like that. Or even maybe grouse etc.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 11:53

I watched a documentary about them on Discovery channel once and I saw them hunting & catching rabbit. Wish they would come back at night and catch some of the rabbits here. Haven't yet figured out how to sterilize those!

o

Oh Marg! He is breathtaking!!! Many years ago I was accompanying my husband on a run up to Dawson Creek BC when we accidently hit a snowy owl with the tractor trailer unit. We both where so shaken by that experience that we still remember it vividly. They are magnificent birds and are apparently being seen further south in recent years. You are very lucky to have a such a regal visitor. :)

Ginny

o

Nice!... he or she's tired and hungry, eying for a big meal...perhaps yours or neighbors cat or poodle, lol.

I've seen a couple of times this winter.

o

Interesting ........ :)

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/snowy-owl-invasion-birds-spotted-as-far-south-as-florida-1.1618624

Ginny

o

Thanks for posting that Ginny. The one I saw hasn't been back. Keep hoping it will come and get some rabbits for his dinner! Marg

o

Beautiful!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here