Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Websites and ordering for Saskatchewan??

nutsaboutflowers
14 years ago

I really need some help and advice please......

I've been reading a ton of information on this forum and need some more specific advice for 2b/3a.

I've found Vesey's, although they still haven't sent me their catalogue and I've called Chuck at Chapman's ( he suggested I ask you girls for advice). Could someone please tell me the websites for some other places? I found Botanus, but when I try to find Bob and Ann at Trail's end I can't find it. You girls know the places too well and don't use their full name, hee, hee =:)

Also, is there an easier way to decide what would grow here? When I see something on this forum that sounds interesting, I do a google search and as you well know, there's a massive amount of information. A relative newbie (for some things) could spend weeks looking. Could anyone suggest some websites?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm drowning in the sea of information!

Comments (10)

• xaroline
    14 years ago

prairiegardenseeds
    Heritageharvestdeeds
    lindenbergseeds

Cindy'si list of garden catalogues

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

Nutsaboutflowers - This is the "Garden" lady speaking. I haven't been around too long but I have been on the www a lot longer. I have MANY garden sites and such in my favorites menu. If you send me an email I can certainly try to send them to you. I say try because I have an ancient computer and it doesn't always behave as I would have it. :)
    gardenofangels200@shaw.ca

Look forward to hearing from you

Ginny Garden

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello "Garden" lady =:)

I just found a perfect website for someone like me. It's finegardening.com Have you seen this one? It tells me pretty much all I need to know, including zone, soil, blooming time, pests, etc. What I really like is you can scroll through and easily see the zone you want without spending hours looking up stuff and finding out it won't grow in your zone. Do any of the sites you go to tell me lots of info like that? If so, would you like to post a few of them here instead of trying to send them to me? I don't want to take up too much of your time.

One of the things I'm trying to do, is plant things in a spot in my back yard that gets full of stupid weeds and crabgrass. I'd like some type of groundcover and "pretty flowers" that don't need a lot of work or get diseases. I don't do frustration very well, hee, hee! These plants would go between 3 junipers, 2 Schubart chokecherry trees (yuck!) and my compost bin with a clematis growing up the side of it. The next problem I have is, after finding something I'd like, is where on earth can I get it from?

Now you know why I'm doing this in January =:)

• weeper_11
    14 years ago

nutsaboutflowers -

Trail's End Iris Gardens : http://www.trailsendiris.com/

Are you looking for seeds, or for plants? Do you want a nursery that is "closer the better" kind of thing? I order from eastern Canada quite a bit, but if you are worried about shipping fees, there are some BC nurseries. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot through the prairie provinces.

Do you want places that will send you a catalogue, or do you like looking online?

http://www.lilynook.mb.ca/ That is the Lily Nook website, located in Manitoba. Great lilies, reasonable prices..I love them.

http://www.ontariodaylily.on.ca/CanadianDaylilyGrowers.htm

That website lists Canadian daylily growers. Unfortunately, some of the links are broken. But there are some western canada growers in there.

http://canada-gardens.com/1shopping.html

That website lists some different sites and resources for Canadian gardeners. Again, some of the links are broken, but if you can't get them through the link, usually you can google their name and the site will come up.

As far as zones go...usually I type the cultivar name into google, and it'll come up in the Dave's Garden website, or a nursery website, and it'll tell you what zone it is. It does take some time, but usually only a minute or two per plant.

Is your problem spot sunny or shady?

If it was sunny, I might plant some sedums, or wooly thyme. Then I might grow some walker's low catmint (and it DOES spread!) because that is a pretty tough groundcover. Then some hardy daylilies and iris, because they are pretty tough and reliable. And definitely some lilies. Salvia is good for sunny spots too. And veronica. Liatris is tough, too. I don't find it needs a ton of water.

And how about some shrubs? I love my coppertina ninebark, or if you are looking for something smaller, barberry or spirea.

If it is shady, you have a whole world of possibilities with the large hostas, ferns, etc.

I know you've told me before, but where exactly are you located? Most "filler" plants (groundcovers, stuff like that) you can pick up in Saskatoon, if you are near there(which I think I remember you saying you were), at Lakeshore, Dutch Growers, or Wilsons. Or Day Grow, just outside of S'toon. Otherwise, you can resign yourself to ordering from some of these out-of-province nurseries.:)

Talk to you soon!

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Weeper - where do I begin.......I can be longwinded....there's just so much to say when it comes to gardening.

First of all, thanks for all the websites. You know what I'll be doing for the foreseeable future. I prefer catalogues, but also enjoy websites. I'm still waiting for a Vesey's catalogue. I like plants, but would also like to start trying a few things from seed. The only flowers I've had from seed are Lavatera, which are awesome. I was looking at the Lee Valley Tools website and saw a warming mat that looked interesting. My husband can hook up any and all lights I'd need.

You mentioned Trails End Iris. Is it better than Chapman's or just different?

BTW I'm on the outer edge of Regina. But don't tell anyone. The mayor and a lot of people are into "I Love Regina" motto, but I don't love Regina. Actually I don't love Saskatchewan either. I don't like the extreme weather. Which brings me to - have you heard of Salt Spring Island Seeds? I think you like seeds. We've lived there, and I think he has a good reputation (?)

You asked if my problem spot was sunny. Most of my many problem spots are sunny, hee, hee! The one I'm speaking of is about 16 feet wide by 10 feet deep, give or take. It faces West. Within that space I have 3 small junipers, two 6 year old Schubart Chokecherries (yuck) and a compost enclosed in fencing with a clematis climbing it. The soil is rock hard, and has it's fair share of crabgrass, dandelions, and other miscellaneous weeds I can't name. I started an experiment last summer after reading stuff on this forum. One part I covered with cardboard, one part with black plastic, and another small part with some grass clippings. In the spring I'll have a look to see which was the winner =:) (BTW I don't care for using poison sprays unless I'm desperate.)

I found a website today called Finegardening.com. It's awesome! Funny how you should mention Walker's Low Catmint. It's one that I picked from there as a possibility. Also, Just Plum Happy daylily, Firewitch Dianthus, and maybe Cat's Ears. Are you familiar with those? You also mentioned Veronica. Veronica whitley? I love it, but don't know where to get it. I think I could get it locally if I asked soon enough (?) Dutch Growers in Regina has "expanded" in the last while and sells too many candles, purses, jewelery, etc., for my liking. I like my greenhouse to be a greenhouse not a store that sells all kinds of junk =:) Regina has other greenhouses, though.

Anyway, anyone reading this has probably gone cross-eyed by now.....

Any more thoughts, comments, ideas?

• xaroline
    14 years ago

Salt Spring Seeds is a good source for heirloom varieties.
    Caroline

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    14 years ago

Nutsaboutflowers - Regarding Trail's End and Chapman's. In my opinion they are both great. Very good to do business with.

If you are interested in seeds and seed starting equipment, I order from:

T&T Seeds in Manitoba @www.ttseeds.com;

William Dam Seeds in Ontario (best prices, great selection) @www.damseeds.com;

Dominion Seeds in Ontario @www.dominion-seedihouse.com;

Ontario Seed Company in Onterio @ www.oscseeds.com;

Terra Edibles in Ontario @ www.terraedibles.ca;

Prairie Garden Seeds in Saskatchewan @ www.prseeds.ca;

Alberta Nurseries in Bowden AB @ www.gardenersweb.ca

I have more for particular seeds like Asian,organic, heritage seed, cottage garden ect.

All of these have catalogues they send out for free.

One thing I have found is that most perennials hardy in the northern zones have "Society Pages" if you Google for instance Canadian Peony Society. Most of the reputable growers/breeders are registered.
    I have found the best prices for equipment at McFayden's @ www.mcfayden.com

As for general gardening sites try City of Regina . I know Edmoton has a city site with gardeners and tips from Edmonton and area. It's great. Also Canadian Gardening Magazine @ http://www.canadiangardening.com/

http://www.coldclimategardening.com/

www.gardeners.com

If you are looking for hostas, daylillies, lilies,peonies, dahlias or iris I can send you some more sites I have ordered from.

Hope this helps

Ginny Garden

• weeper_11
    14 years ago

I've never ordered from Trail's End; I have ordered from Chuck though, and loved my order. He sent generous bonuses. Just based on their online catalogue, I do prefer Chuck(I like irises other than just bearded.). But I think they are both very reputable. Chuck's website is
    http://www.chapmaniris.com/

Guahaha, nutsaboutflowers, you crack me up. I DEFINITELY know where you are coming from...about everything. Firstly, Regina. I grew up outside of Moose Jaw, so Regina was "the big city." And I don't love Regina either. It is all full of crime and stuff. And there are numerous areas I would not walk in! I'm torn about Saskatchewan. I feel compelled to like it. I like parts of it...during parts of the year. But I DESPISE winter. There is no friggin reason why winter needs to be as extreme as it is here. Grr.

And the soil!! Hecks, your is probably practically potting soil compared to mine, since you are close to Regina. ;) We live in really alkaline soil..it is rock hard, so you have to dig it with a pick-ax, it is full of enormous stones, and it is chalky and dosen't grow anything except for an astouding variety of weeds. Our "lawn" grows a variety of native pasture grasses, alfalfa, dandelions, clover some kind of pokey grass from hell, and occasionally thistle. I'm pretty sure if I didn't mow it I could bale it for my horses. So if you ever feel like grumbling about soil, weeds, etc...track me down! :D

I'm just starting to get into seeds. I like to have something "green" to do during the winter. I got that heat mat from Lee Valley for Christmas this year!! So far so good. Last year my stuff grew realllly slowly. So I'm hoping that was the problem. So at the moment, I actually prefer started plants, because I kill them less often!

Oh! I forgot one site that I use a lot: http://www.perennialresource.com/ I love that one.

Ginny gave you good catalogue sites. I had a good laugh about your description of Dutch Growers! I agree...I can hardly find the greenhouse I get stuck in the clothes and doo-dads! Personally, I prefer smaller family run greenhouses than the big chain ones. Usually they are more willing to help, will order in specific plants, and have healthier plants....if you can find one around Regina.

Something else you could try in that spot are ornamental grasses. Lots of stuff should thrive in a hot, sunny spot like that.

Anyway, I have to get ready for stupid work(dang it anyway, who needs groceries?!), so I'll talk to you later.

• failedslacker
    14 years ago

If you don't mind taking advice from a Reginan, West 25th greenhouse is the best place to get plants around here - the staff are very helpful about what grows well around here.

When ordering online, I get seeds from CottageGardener.com. I'm a heirloom lover and I find their selection is better than Salt Spring Seeds.

• nutsaboutflowers
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't mind taking advice from a Reginan at all =:)

I've actually been to West 25th. I went there and others, after deciding to stay away from Dutch Growers for the most part. The people at West 25th were friendly and helpful and I'm looking forward to going again! All they sell are plants and trees.

I got my Vesey's catalogue today, and also phoned Botanus to get theirs, too. She told me that on March 21st (?) they'll have a Showstopper on The Shopping Channel =:) Between that, the catalogues, and all the suggested websites, I should be able to find more than I need. Now if the snow would melt.....