Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

I'm Out of Control Already

nutsaboutflowers
13 years ago

Here it is, not even the end of January and I can hardly wait to get started. I've decided we can't possibly have another poor growing season..........

So far I've ordered 6 packs of vegetable seeds and 12 packs of flower seeds, and I've only gone through two companies so far. I still have another catalogue here to go through, and another one on it's way.

Considering I usually buy plants, not seeds, this year should be an interesting experiment to say the least. Of course I have no idea where I'm going to put all these plants, LOL.

I saw a website yesterday with a "blurb" from Sharon (crazy_gardener) about winter sowing. I can hardly wait. I've already asked another family to save their milk jugs in case we don't generate enough of them =:)

Has anyone else gotten out of control already?

Comments (14)

• bdgardener
    13 years ago

Me too, Me too!!! I have pots to do for a country wedding this year, at the beginning of July, so everything needs to be in bloom for that. I fired up the grow lights already.
    I expanded the veg garden last year. And my son wants his own plot too. Cheryl

• freezengirl
    13 years ago

Being out of control is an annual event for me. It keeps me happily INSANE through the worst of the winter doldrums. Usually as the days lengthen a bit longer then my must have garden lists, sanity slowly returns.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    13 years ago

Got the box of seeds today, so i'm going to find out about out of control any minute now! LOL

• booberry85
    13 years ago

I already plotted, generally, where things are going to be planted. I've pulled all the seeds out of my collection that I'm planning on planting. I also started devising a plan for the 2012 garden! This weekend I'm hoping to track down some seed starting supplies. Yeah, It's a little out of hand.

Side note: I love that this forum is active. The upstate New York forum has NOTHING going on. I hope you don't mind me meandering here.

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

All my orders are in and some seeds have already arrived! I started sowing a few weeks ago. I w/s some Serviceberry seeds. We plan to plant them along the fenceline. Out of the ones we have already, we don't get to many berries because the birds beat us to them! Inside, I have started leeks and onions. They were seeds left from last year and I wanted to see which ones were still viable. The leeks are up already but only a few onions are up. Glad I ordered new onion seeds. I also started daylily seeds and some of them are up to. Today I want to start w/s other seeds. Marg

• Pudge 2b
    13 years ago

My order to William Dam Seeds (damseeds.ca) is also in and if all those vegetables come up and produce, we're gonna be eating good! Since I'm not going to do farmer's market this year, I have space to fill with something other than flowers for cutting. So veggies it is. Well, and some flowers, lol.

I will still be putting in an order to Dominion and that will include some flower seed. I think that I will try the Opera petunias this year for containers.

I'm going into the city today and am hoping that seed racks are already out. I love when they are finally out and it means spring is coming.

Booberry, we welcome anyone to this forum so you just keep on jumping in.

• booberry85
    13 years ago

Thanks for the welcome, Pudge!

I went to Lowes today and bought two big bags of potting soil, vegetable food and cucumber & sweet corn seeds! I started clearing out on area in my sewing/gardening/ spill over /guest room for me to start seeds. I'm so glad February is a short month! The end of February I'll be starting some seeds!

• trisha_51
    13 years ago

It's my dreaming that is out of control (sigh) I want to do this and do that, but dh has so much else to do and I know I can't do all I want (dig roots, cut trees, haul good dirt/manure, build raised beds - all in about a week or two when the snow is gone) and dh will want to help and that would mean his work would not get done and it really, really needs to get done! So, I'll just dream and figure out what I'm able to do this year and hope to do the rest another time. I'm hoping to cut a few trees this spring. Maybe I can put down cardboard under the dirt instead of digging up roots. Yep, I like that idea. Of course, I can't hope to get a harvest without a fence to keep out the moose....hmmmm.

• savona
    13 years ago

My seed orders have come and I have Lisianthus, Magic Fountain delphiniums and geraniums are up. Soon I have to take cuttings from the wave petunia cuttings I took last fall and start a new batch. As the days get longer the itch to start sowing increases. I am addicted to peering into containers to see the first sprouts...8-)..Jean

• freezengirl
    13 years ago

Trisha-I so understand your post. I am keeping amused with garden stuff for now, but the reality is I have way to much work for spring. We have been clearing our land of brush, pulling stumps, tearing down old cabins and...My husband is only home for two weeks out of every six. I found a couple of old garden spots buried under the weeds last fall. Hopefully I will be able to get them ready enough to use as holding beds temporarily. Moose...I may have to learn how to put up fencing!

• weeper_11
    13 years ago

Trisha and freezengirl..yep, I understand that too! I stress myself and my hubby out when I start in on all the stuff that "must" get done. I have a ton of shelterbelt trees coming this spring, a permanent deer fence to put in around where my fruit trees and veggie garden will be going, new waterlines need to be dug, including one up to the veggie garden, I need to finish backfilling my flowerbed, pull down some old buildings (we live on an old farmyard) on top of a horse to put miles on and work!! GAH! So I usually try to be as realistic as possible about what actually NEEDS to get done vs. what I WANT to get done so that I don't put too much of a burden on myself and my husband. Some things can wait.

As for being out of control...well I've already made an iris order and have another one planned (not sure I have room for all of them, but they are coming anyway!), I was also planning a Lily Nook order this summer, I have a daylily order coming this spring, and I have a list of perennials that I want to interplant with my true obsessions: irises, lilies, and daylilies. I think my garden needs to get bigger, and I'm not even finished backfilling this one!! :0

I may have gone overboard. A little.

• bdgardener
    13 years ago

For all of you who have moved to the country, you need a five year plan. And then make a yearly plan. It has worked well for me. Every year I can tackle and accomplish something without burdening the hubby. If he helps that's great but if he is too busy then I can still look back on things in the fall and feel good about what got done.

Every year I get rid of more of the grass around the farm yard (I find that cutting it is the most time consuming chore) since I refuse to waste water on grass, it just means more flower beds or garden. Mulch is a huge lifesaver around here. I can get it cheap from the local landfill (three grades, a construction wood mulch I use in the shelterbelts and a green mulch (from chopped trees) for the garden and flowerbeds) it works really well for keeping weeds down, hauling it in a dumping trailer is the hubbies job.

I have stuff planted and up in the basement. I must be crazy. Trying to prevent myself from going to any stores where the seeds are out already. I have a huge list as the veg garden got bigger last year.

I have strawberries on order, the patch could not keep up with the kids last year.

I can't wait for spring. Cheryl

• freezengirl
    13 years ago

Excellent advice Chreyl! Although I habitually break all my own rules. We had about a foot and a half of snow dumped on us last week. For any sane person it would likely be a reality check, for me it was a signal that I HAD to go out and buy more seeds as soon as I could dig out my car! Every time I gloomily look out at the snow, the thought of little brown bag stuffed with seeds still in my purse gives me strength to make it for just a little while longer.

• 2fennelshirts
    13 years ago

I've ordered & recieved most of my flower & veggie seeds already.I also have some asparagus roots & raspberry plants coming in early May, onion sets coming in late April. I,m not done yet. Even with the cold still hanging on,(-10 to 14 above this week) I planted leek seed this week(800) that's a good start, and I'm out of control.