Return to the Far North Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring weather may mean trouble

Posted by shootingstar2 zone 3/4 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 8, 08 at 11:06

I took a quick walk through the garden last night when I got home from work. I had been feeling optimistic about this year as we had very good snow cover from late Nov. on. I noticed however that pretty much all the snow has melted off along the east side of the house. John Davis and Felix LeClerc are budding already and it's only Jan 8th. If it gets cold again, and I am sure it will..... I am pretty sure these guys are going to be hit hard. Also noticed green dandilion leaves trying to poke through... jeesh, shouldn't have to think about weeding in January.

Anyone else have things breaking dormancy already??

cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring weather may mean trouble

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 8, 08 at 12:33

No, nothing like that going on here. The snow receded slightly with the last warm spell, but nothing like what you're talking about.

The snow we have, probably around 8", is very dry and fluffy - very little moisture in it and it won't take much to melt it all off. We had bitter cold and no snow in early November, so I'm expecting some losses this season.

o

Nothing like that here either. We've had some melting but that just means an inch less of snow - everything is still covered. You should maybe shovel some snow on to your roses or try to protect them otherwise.

o

Nothing like that here either... just glad to not be in the "deep freeze"!

Ang

o

Nothing breaking dormancy here either. Really just one day at +5 but it wasn't all that sunny.

I think in general though, snow seems to lose some of it's insulating properties the older it gets, especially if mild weather hits and it develops that hard top to it. Even if it stays cold the drifts seem to sink a bit after a while, I assume from the weight. Still, it must still be able to protect plants somewhat.

I find the side of the house always seems to melt first. In fact, even when it's fairly cold out the snow touching the side of the concrete foundation seems to slowly melt and leave an air gap. I usually just keep finding new fluffy snow and piling it on.

As much as I hate driving in snow or on snowy roads, hopefully we'll have snow new stuff before any cold snap should hit (or, just cancel the annual cold snap and declare us zone 5).

Glen

o

"or, just cancel the annual cold snap and declare us zone 5"

Definitely the option i'd consider! LOL

o

I'll add my vote, no cold snap and zone 5 would be delightful.

Can you imagine all the beautiful things we would be able to grow that we have never been able to have.....

honest to goodness climbers & ramblers
hydrangeas

oh don't get me started.....lol

cathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Far North Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here