Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shootingstar2_gw

ordering from Dominion

shootingstar2
16 years ago

Does anyone here order from Dominion? How have you found the quality of roses, daylillies & lily bulbs specifically.

They have a rose I have been trying to find for a few years, and can't locate anywhere else and thought I might add some lillies & daylillies while I was at it.

Cathy

Comments (13)

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    16 years ago

I'd be cautious with them. I ordered Topaz Jewel from them last spring. I planted a stick and that's all i got from it - a stick. They did refund me for it, though. I've had things from them in the past that did okay, but the quality isn't always that great.

• glen3a
    16 years ago

I've ordered from them quite regularly. Mostly shrubs, occasionally perennials. The only problem I had was one razzmatazz coneflower that was tiny and expensive, and a lilac I've tried a few times to order but every year it's out of stock.

I've ordered a harlequin honeysuckle vine and sutherland elder from them and they were actually quite big in relation to the size of the pot, but keep in mind their shrubs are only in 3-1/2 to 4 inch pots. Thus I have to say generally quite pricey for the size that you get (but then again, I guess it would be very expensive to mail one gallon pot sizes). Still, if it's a unique item that I feel might not be found locally I will order as it's a good way to find some marginally hardy items as well.

Glen

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

You can find a better price for seeds elsewhere, live plants are pathetic.

• shootingstar2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone, that is what I was afraid of.

I know their seeds are overpriced and the live plants get poor reviews. I was hopeful I would fare better with a rose and some bulbs/dormant fans.

Guess I will have to keep looking for a supplier of this rose, maybe someday I will find it from a supplier that has a better reputation.

I always order from Pickering & Palantine. Pickering is adding 200 new varieties next year so I will have to keep my fingers crossed that some of that 200 will be the one's I haven't been able to get.

cathy

• Crazy_Gardener
    16 years ago

Cathy, what is the rose that you're looking for?

• shootingstar2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The one I was going to order is Kaleidoscope.

I have and love Distant Drums, so I wanted this one as well.

There is a small list of varieties I have been unable to get, Darlow's Enigma, Baltimore Belle, and a few more. Sometimes it's like a treasure hunt trying to track them down...lol

Although I really shouldn't be looking for any more right now, have 30 arriving in the spring already.

Cathy

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Cathy, I have Kaleidoscope. I believe that I ordered it from Dominion a couple years ago. It was a huge plant and I was quite happy when I got it. I find in my yard though it is absolutely terrible for blackspot.

Shelley

16 years ago

Try Hortico. They have quite a large selection and the ones i got last year took quite nicely. I'm hoping to order "Eddie's Jewel" from them this year too. Oh, Darlow's Enigma - that's one i would love to have as well, and i think they carry it.

• shootingstar2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marcia,

Hortico is a company that seems to have a very bad reputation amongst the sites that post reviews so I have never ordered from them. I am glad you had good luck with your order. Eddie's Jewel is one worth having for sure, if you can get your hands on one. If you have never tried Pickering or Palantine I can heartily recommend them. The size of their bare roots will make you drool and since you are in the same area as me the shipping is very fast. Once you see the size and quality of what they ship you will be hooked.

Shelly,

Are you in a high blackspot pressure area or is kaleidoscope a BS magnet. I may need to rethink it if it is really bad as I try to stay as close to min. spray as I can and don't like to use the "heavy hitters" as many of them harm the bees. I can live with some leaf spotting & dropping but if this puppy defoliates itself on a regular basis there are probably better choices.

cathy

16 years ago

Cathy, i had received a gift certificate to Hortico and that was why i ordered from them. Everything i ordered arrived in good shape, was well-packed and did well when planted. I had heard also that they didn't have the greatest reputation so i was kind of leery, but all was well. I'll be ordering from them again this spring.

• sazzyrose
    16 years ago

Cathy, Kalediscope is a BS magnet for sure. The worst rose I have. It drops it leaves quite early in the season. It is so much like Kaleidoscope. But the colors on the flowers fade fast, like in a day. Distant Drums is a much better rose. (I have that one too.)

Shelley

• shootingstar2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shelley,

Thanks so much for the honest assessment of Kaleidoscope. There are so many good roses out there there is no need to plant a dud. I appreciate the info alot. Distant Drums is a real winner.

Marcia,
    Maybe the trick with Hortico is to order in the spring when they show items as "in stock" as opposed to ordering in the fall based on the "available by date" it seems that most of the problems centre around not getting most of the order, or the right plants, or lots of other errors and folks not even being advised. I know one fellow that got a surprise shipment this fall from an order he placed 3 years ago. Their selection is amazing but their catalogue seems to be based upon what they think they might be able to get as opposed to what they have in stock or confirmed from their suppliers. When they can't supply they don't cancel the order, you just might get it years later. It seems a strange way to do things.

cathy

16 years ago

Cathy, there was one plant that was unavailable in my order. I think they emailed me, or maybe phoned - my memory is great, eh? LOL - and asked if i still wanted it in the fall. I told them that if they weren't able to deliver it soon, the plant would be better to wait until spring, so that's what's happening. Maybe i've been lucky, but their customer service seemed to be quite good.

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz